Sign in to follow this  
perkinchung

Fasting day - helpful or not?

Happy Friday!

I've read a lot about people's feeding schedules and routines here, and many have a fasting day once or twice a week to prevent overfeeding, constipation, and other digestive issues. Have you found this to be helpful? If I'm providing a balanced diet and my fish (knock on wood) haven't had bloating or constipation issues, would fasting a day or too be necessary? I've read a lot about how goldfish can go through days without eating, and hungry goldfish are healthy goldfish...just curious whether a fasting day really works wonders to "clean things out" of their system.

Many thanks,

PC

I do think that overall, a fasting day each week is not a bad idea. :)

Make sure that there are enough veggies/fibrous things as well.

I do think that overall, a fasting day each week is not a bad idea. :)

Make sure that there are enough veggies/fibrous things as well.

:bingo:

What do you guys think of just a day of veggies once a week as an alternative to fasting?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by cmclien

What do you guys think of just a day of veggies once a week as an alternative to fasting?

This is what I do, as I don't want them eating ALL of the plants in my tank when they get ticked off at me for not giving them food- even for only 24 hours. I can't say it is the better way to go, but I can say that I haven't had any develop any swim bladder or constipation issues that did not have them prior to coming into my house, even with the super round bodied ones. I feed laxative veggies instead of food twice a week. Blanched spinach and some very well rinsed, low sodium, canned green beans. The fish seem to love it, they get all cleared out, and they don't get mad at me for not feeding them, and tear up the tank. LOL. Be prepared to clean the substrate the day after, though- what goes in must come out, especially with laxative veggies.

Good idea. I give a little spinach and sometimes green beans ad/or peas twice or 3x a day with meals but I would be curious to try only veggies 1x or 2x a week. Maybe tomorrow I will try that.

this is what I do as well. On my 'fasting day' they get a little spinach. I think fasting is totally fine, it won't hurt certainly, but not an absolute necessity if there is no obvious constipation.