Guss, the ramshorn.

BurningIvy

Guss is really tucked into his shell like there is visibly a quarter inch of space where guss is occupying but has not moved at all in days. Will not come out of his shell. I'm not certain if he's dead because he's always had a 'smell' to him but he is worrying me because he is usually quite active. He is tightly in the shell so... I don't know what to say other than should I just wait and see?

The dead snail smell is QUITE distinct. It is very obviously rotting grossness & majorly funky, Unfortunately, though, they usually don't really start to smell for a few days after passing. It could really be either way, at this point. I don't really know anything about ramshorn snails, in particular, to say much more. So sorry Guss isn't doing so well. :(

It's alright. I don't think he is alive to be honest. He was in the tank with the dead ghost shrimp this week for a few hours before I was home to notice them and that's when I noticed he was all tucked up inside... I think he's probably gone but I'll keep checking on him a few days to be sure. I feel like everything I have is dying now =(

Check your tank & make sure something didn't send you into a mini-cycle. The ghost shrimp are kind of like the water version of canaries in a coal mine to let you know if something is up in the water. Some snails can be the same way. It still could just be the fact that ghost shrimp are "feeders" at the store, and therefore extra mistreated, and tend to be unhealthy, & that it is just Guss' time... but its always better to check, just in case.

So sorry for your losses. Keep your chin up- stuff like this just happens, sometimes. :hug

Three of the remaining ghost shrimp are doing really well and even standing up to my bully betta. He even seems to be cooling down now that he's used to them. They go where they please and eat food right next to Gilbert. The params are perfect (I checked after everything went down to be safe) and they must have had underlying issues. But these three are great =)

As for Guss, it could well be his time. He was already full grown when I picked him up and since freshwater snails are illegal (for sale) in maine he was not taken care of. So due to lack of care and probable old age, it could be his time. I just feel sad because I was just getting to know him and his enormous love for blanched broccoli stems. =/ I hope he's just taking a breather and will be back out and about soon. If not, I know I gave him a good last bit of his life.

Thanks =) It's sad to lost so many so quickly.

• 4 weeks later...