Sign in to follow this  
alvintran1998

There's a couple!

After reading about determining the sex of goldfish from the forum, i decided to try it myself with my fish. And sure enough, I could tell which is which. I have at least 1 obvious female and 3 males. The female has a white private part, and the vent is protruded. She also has a very round and big belly. The males are kind of hard to tell, but I do find breeding stars on some of them. This means that I could potentially breed them. There are also 2 ryukin/fantails but since they are still pretty small, it's hard to tell.

Since then, I have raised the temperature to 76* to stimulate the temperature change in the spring to possibly get some eggs out of them. Fingers and fins crossed for some beautiful fry!

So: when do they usually spawn? I've read that they usually spawn in the early morning, or at sunset, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

I would be careful spawning with 3 males and only 1 female. It can be very dangerous for her to go through breeding with 3 different males, as the males will ram her to get her to release eggs. I am not sure when spawning happens, but if you really want fry, I'd keep an eye out, and be prepared to separate the female if the spawning becomes too rough. I don't have much else advice to give. Good luck (:

Okay, I'll definitely keep an eye on them, but for right now, they show no interest of each other. I'm waiting....

It's been my experience, and I don't try to get mine to spawn, but I woke up to fresh eggs on at least 7 different occasions. Pretty sure 5 of them were from my pearlscale, and the other times was my telescope. I only ever saw it happen once during normal human waking hours. The rest happened overnight sometime, but I stay up pretty late, so it seems that it happened very early in the morning.

It's been my experience, and I don't try to get mine to spawn, but I woke up to fresh eggs on at least 7 different occasions. Pretty sure 5 of them were from my pearlscale, and the other times was my telescope. I only ever saw it happen once during normal human waking hours. The rest happened overnight sometime, but I stay up pretty late, so it seems that it happened very early in the morning.

Okay, that's what I've read also. Did you do anything different to the tank before they spawn like changing the water or changing the temperature? Or did they just spawn whenever?

I didn't do anything different and I'm pretty sure it did not correspond to water changes. I know for sure the telescope had nothing to do with water changes. I just have two lady fish and one ranchu who treats them like sister wives ;). I'm excited to see what happens again this spring/summer.

So apparently, I have 2 females and 2 males now. I've just looked at them more carefully today and can confirm that there are at least 2 females in the tank. Now just waiting for those eggs.

I see you raised the temp to 76. What is the usual temp? How often do you raise to 76?

The normal temperature is 72*, but I dropped the temperature to 64* about a week and a half ago, and slowly raised the temperature back up to 72 by room temperature, and did a warm water change to 74 yesterday and 76 today.