Eco-Complete Cichlid Substrate

Hello Water Quality Experts!

I know that goldfish like their pH up high. My municipal water supply is pretty low. I think it comes out of the tap right around 7.2. My idea is to use the Eco-Complete for Cichlids substrate because of it's ability to buffer the water. From what I've read this substrate will help keep the water's pH around 8.2. Which sounds just about perfect for goldfish.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks so much in advance for your thoughtful comments and advice.

Hello Water Quality Experts!

I know that goldfish like their pH up high. My municipal water supply is pretty low. I think it comes out of the tap right around 7.2. My idea is to use the Eco-Complete for Cichlids substrate because of it's ability to buffer the water. From what I've read this substrate will help keep the water's pH around 8.2. Which sounds just about perfect for goldfish.

Actually, goldfish can live in a rather wide range of pH, and does not particularly prefer a high pH. The key is to have stable (well buffered) pH, meaning that it doesn't fluctuate. That means that you want to check your kH (carbonate hardness) to make sure that it's adequately high (100ppm +), as this prevents pH fluctuations.

A well buffered pH of 7.2 would be perfect, actually. :)

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Any suggestions or ideas?

My suggestion is to keep the pH where it is. You will want to find out what the kH is, to decide if it needs boosting. :)

Thanks so much in advance for your thoughtful comments and advice.

Thank you for the info. I will find out what my kh is on Wednesday (free water test day at my LFS) my last test results said my Gh was 2 (with the degree symbol) but I didn't record what they said my kh was.

If your gH is low, your kH is probably going to be low as well. The two tend to be linked.

You can also call your water utility and ask them what the carbonate hardness is. They test these things quite often. :)