Sign in to follow this  
Avepico

What happens if goldfish eat peas that haven't been deshelled.

Not a point of curiosity. I fixed peas and as i was draining off the excess water, a couple deshelled peas went into the tank. I reached in right away, soaking the arm of my coat in the process. I wasn't even close to quick enough. I am pretty sure each of the three biggest got one each. Should I be worried, or will they just pass undigested?

I don't see why they shouldn't pass. I don't think it is the case of that they are undigestible, more so that they might be a little harder to digest, and the point of feeding peas is mainly to clear them out. Other than that, I'm not fully sure about the reasons behind not feeding them shelled peas. I do know that their digestive systems are designed to digest heavy plant materials though.

Just keep an eye on their droppings, and if you need to, you can fast for a day, then feed a de-shelled pea with Epsom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I believe the dumbest question is the one you don't ask.

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I believe the dumbest question is the one you don't ask.

^ i have to agree here. if something is striking your curiosity, it's best to ask :) education is everything to this underdeveloped hobby of ours :) nothing is too silly to ask :)

The only reason for skinning the peas is that it's hard for a small goldfish to get a whole pea in its mouth. If the fish is large enough to grab a whole pea, it gets the benefit of the extra fiber. I usually slightly squash a whole pea for medium sized fish, and they can take that easily. If I skin peas for the little guys, I throw the skins in for to. They get eaten.

^ i have to agree here. if something is striking your curiosity, it's best to ask :) education is everything to this underdeveloped hobby of ours :) nothing is too silly to ask :)

Sometimes the silly/stupid questions are the most important to ask, rather than going on a bad assumption. Over the years at various levels of leadership at jobs, I have seen the result of someone not asking a stupid question.