Illness spreading

Duskeva

I know I just posted a thread about my little guy getting sick and dying. Now it seems like another one of my fish is getting sick in my main tank. Ive already lost 2 and Im at a complete lose as to why its continuing to spread long after the sick fish was removed.

My largest guy now has lifted scales and is floating around aimlessly. Im thinking there has to be something in the main tank thats causing this. Should I take the tank apart and start over? Lose my cycle? Bleach everything? We're planning on moving in april, so maybe this is a good time?

Im freaking out on so many levels. I feel like im about to lose my entire tank.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): between 0 and .25 again
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 5
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 1 canister filder marineland c-160 (160ghp) 1 HOB - 1 aqueon 30 (200 gph) 1 marineland (200 gph_ 1 topfin (150 gph) Canister is cleaned out every week HOB cleaned out rotating every 2 weeks.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 75 ish
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50-80% every 7 days

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? about 5 days ago I believe, close to 90%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 gallons, more then 8 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?3 now, largest about 5 inches(one sick) smallest about 3 inches One inbetween
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? omega one sinking pellets every day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No, but I did start the sick one on metro
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) No less then 2 days ago lost one, This fish did have ick a few months ago, no other illness at all
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Lifted scales
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc? floating around, bottom sitting Very squishy belly.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. typical fluke treatment with salt. Salt and heat for ick, no other medication used in this tank ever
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Picture:C34F920E-ABD6-4FAF-B03E-4C5B896208CE-3032-0000022643B3D6E4.jpg

Video: th_D765D6D6-1185-42DE-8A15-2E0D16923702-3032-00000226764F02EA.jpg

Do you have a QT tank you could put him in? Do you have Epsom salt and MetroMeds on hand? (I see that you treated your other fish with metro--MetroMeds or metro powder or?)

If you have a QT tank, please set that up and move him in there until a mod can help you further. :D

Edited by fantailfan1

The first thing you should do is put your sick fish in a QT. I don't know much about dropsy, but I know you should do a water change in your main tank once you have put you fish with dropsy in the QT. Do you have Epsom salt?

A mod will be here soon to further help you :)

Edit: sniped by fantail :P

Edited by teleSC

The prazi was 4 weeks I believe. I followed the typical suggested treatment for prevention. They weren't showing any signs of flukes but I had never treated so I just went ahead and did it. Metro was started literally right after my post. Hes had about 10 pellets so far. Hes a big boy so im assuming close to 40 pellets a day. I'm going to go buy another scale so I can weigh him properly.

Alright so lets talk about environment, you have good filtration and cleaning schedule. What is in your media?

Do you have a bubbler working right now?

What type of ornaments or substrate do you have?

I'm glad he is eating, that's a good sign :)

Hi Fookee, I'm so sorry that you are having these issues. Before I make the treatment suggestions, which will be treating the 1 fish or everyone, and whether the tank needs a thorough disinfection or not, I would like to know if you salted at all during the times when you were treating with Prazi. If yes, how much salt?

I have an old picture that I'll post below to show the tank. Its been vitually the same since I set the tank up. Im thinking about pulling out what little gravel I have and chucking it. No hollow onaments. 2 'lava' rocks with small plants on them that the goldfish like to munch on. I have, however, noticed an alarming rate of algae growth in my tank. Not the normal green algae either. Its dark brown almost black algae. They munch on this a lot and I always have to scrub it down and away during my water changes. So when I do my water changes they always come out into a separate container because of how funky the water looks.

Alex: If I recall correctly salt was only at .1%, but it was so long ago I could be wrong. Salt was at .3% for 2 weeks for the ick treatment though.

IMG_3606.jpg

Edited by Fookee

The canister I clean out, now, every water change, the HOBs sometimes go for 3 weeks, but I try to do them every other water change. I take them out and flop them around in tank water and squeeze them out a lot. The tubes on the canister get flushed out with hot water about once a month because they are so long, I cant really clean the inside too well. The canister has plastic 'bio balls' a bunch of blue filter floss and some black large holed stiffed filter floss. The HOB's have blue filter floss with some ceramic media tossed in as well. The ceramic media never gets dirty so I dont clean that. Just swish the blue media in some tank water.

It's kind of hard to tell from the picture--do you have any filter intakes that reach close(ish) to the bottom of the tank? I see a couple near the top . . .

Back in the day :rofl we used to suggest at least one filter intake more towards the bottom . . . don't know how big of a deal it is? :idont

No, unfortunately I don't. I have never been able to find a place that sells extenders for my filters. If anyone knows of a place I will be more then willing to purchase some.

eta: maybe I can rig my canister to hit closer to the bottom?

Edited by Fookee

Absolutely normal. But my largest one, the one who is sick, was perfectly normal yesterday. I got up this morning and noticed him sitting in the corner, I tapped on the tank and got no response for him. I reached in and nudged him a bit and he went back to his normal happy 'feed me' self. I went to the lfs to see the new goldies they got in and when I got back home he was back in the corner. Thats when I pulled him out and noticed the scales lifted. Hes in the 10 gallon the little one was in with brand new fresh clean water. The filter in the tank is the same though. Only cleaning was putting the whole filter under water and swishy it around really rough. I rubbed the inside down. Media in the filter was cleaned in tank water as well. Im concerned I should bleach this filter.

If you want I can upload a video if the 2 left in the main tank. Its my oldest 5 year old and my newest brown ranchu. Both eating and swimming happily.

Alright, so what I did was moved him over to my 26 gallon, half filled with an air stone. Plan to do 100% water changes every day. Reason for this is because my mom surprised me with a new little goldie who Im going to quarintine in the 10 gallon with the filter. -sigh- Talk about bad timing.

Makes sense ;) I have a 24 gal or so rubber tank as my QT and I half fill it with water. This prevents bowing. I also use air stone and provide 100% dailies, though because my most recent QT was a medium fish I found I could've done two over 50%'s a day with the ammonia produced.

Alright, I woke up and did a 100% water change. There was a lot of powder poop on the floor of the tank. I know it was poop because I sat there and watched him eat every single piece I offered him. Also, there was a lot of foam on the water surface. Is this normal because I dont have a filter?

Picture:4BC2040D-CAD0-49A1-BCD6-280637B44B24-3540-0000028B3A22D062.jpg

Foam:65B0A255-2523-4248-9F6D-3A41EF29B845-3540-0000028B2F5A3FCB.jpg

I totally forgot to test them before the water change x-x I just sorta panicked and pored all the water out. It should be all 0's now, but if it happens again i'll definitely remember to check the prams. What I did notice though, the foam seemed to go away during the 5 minutes the airstone was out of the water. I don't know if I'm seeing things, but it sorta looks like he's not symmetrical in his swelling(I might be losing my mind)? He's also not very interested in eating right now, maybe because of the water change?

heres a new video:th_4C81542C-5F97-4F64-BEC9-D03B022AC43D-3540-0000028D0FF28DE7.jpg

and another picture: 8528D812-C974-431C-A9B9-BAAB35F94D64-3540-0000028D7323A230.jpg