Salt...hangs Around In Your Tanks Like Anything!

Guest alex

i got a salt concentration testing kit today (oooh aaah!!) so tried it out on both my GF tanks. both are 15gals. one had a level of 0.04% and the other had 0.06%. now, i know these amounts are negligable, but the last time i added salt to the tank that still has 0.04% was 24/1, and i've done 4 water changes of 30-40% since then. the other tank had salt added 29/1, and i've done 3 water changes of 30-40% since then. and there was me thinking both my tanks were salt-free, when really they aren't. nothing to worry about, just an observation :)

i'm glad i've got the test kit now tho - means when i DO use salt i'll be accurate rather than just rule of thumb and hope for the best :lol

I always thought one of those kits might be fun to play with, but they are mega bucks and for a toy.....I decided to pass.

That is neat - what fun to have yet another catagory to fill into a chart! (I love charts!)

totally.....i have a whole excel spreadsheet of all the params, feeding, observations, water changes etc........i thought i was the only one that...i dunno...anal? :rofl

my kit was ?7.50...what's that in US$......um, about 13 bucks or so? not too bad really. pretty much the same as other test kits here, but much harder to find...grrr...

Guest Romeo

Hey, I keep a chart too, I keep water params and water changes and feeding times/what I fed on my charts plus I record any illnesses or anything out of the ordinary. Just as a reference.

That way when I'm sitting around..Did I change that water Weds. or Tues..Or maybe Monday?!

I can just look at my chart!

I keep a notebook too with details of water changes, params, temp, feeding schedule (and date foods bought so I know when to throw them away) , tank ornaments rota, any changes in appearance or behaviour, illnesses or injuries, treatments when I use them, approx. measurements of fish size, each fish's particular likes and dislikes, and just some random observations on them here and there! It's nothing especially glamorous, just a cheap green notbook held together with an elastic band inside my test kits and meds box. :)

One day I'll get a life! :lol:

That salt testing kit sounds good though; it would be very useful to put in exact levels of salt when treating instead of sticking in the approx. amount and hoping it's right. I;ve never seen one for sale down here... not the same shop where you found the python is it? I may just have to move to your area! :D

i got a salt concentration testing kit today (oooh aaah!!) so tried it out on both my GF tanks. both are 15gals. one had a level of 0.04% and the other had 0.06%. now, i know these amounts are negligable, but the last time i added salt to the tank that still has 0.04% was 24/1, and i've done 4 water changes of 30-40% since then. the other tank had salt added 29/1, and i've done 3 water changes of 30-40% since then. and there was me thinking both my tanks were salt-free, when really they aren't. nothing to worry about, just an observation :)

Perhaps u would like to test the water source.. See if there is any salt content in the water from your source.. Some countries are known to add salt to the water supply, thus even your tank is salt free, but the maginal salt content is from tap..

Also just how accurate is this salt test. 0.04% is a pretty low concentration, is it even accurate down to that amount? I would think if you wanted a really accurate test you would have to shell out the $$ and buy a salinity meter.

But I would like to try out one of these tests just to see the readings that I would get :D

Yes I would check your tap water and see what that gives you.

Jessica

actually emma, it was the same shop :rofl i meant to ask you - how is the python performing? hope it's saving you lots of time and backache(!)

how the test works is you add 5ml of tank or pond water to the test tube, then 4 drops of liquid A. you then add liquid B, 2 drops at a time, shaking the tube each time. when the liquid in the tube turns purple and stays purple, rather than going clear again, that is the salinity level. 2 drops=0-0.02%, 4 drops= 0.04%, 6 drops=0.06% etc etc.....

good idea about testing the tap water though - i'll do that tonight.

Well, since the infamous 'exploding off the tap and gaily flinging water all over my kitchen and relatives' incident (as it has come to be known in our family), I have discovered that the python is excellent for draining tanks, but no good for refilling them; the thing just won't stay on any of my taps. The taps just don't have anything to connect the python onto and a tap adaptor isn't strong enough to hold it on. Still, at least by draining the tanks it saves half the work of trotting back and forth with buckets! :lol:

Oh that sucks, Emma. :thud Filling is the best part of the Python! Lifting buckets to drain water out is no fun, but filling is worse - the toilet is lower than the tank top! What kind of freak faucets do you have over there in the UK?? Any chance you could get a different type? I installed a utility sink just so I could leave my Python hooked up continuously and have somewhere to drain my tanks to (I use a pump + syphon to drain) when I don't feel like running it outside.

Alex, .04% is common tap-water salt content. In some places it contains double this amount or more. I doubt any salt is hanging around from a month and a half ago - it's probably just the salt reading of your tap. Let us know what your tests show. :)

have just tested tap water and it changed after only 2 drops. which means there is almost no salt in it (0-0.02%). freaky! anyway, i am not concerned in the slightest, i was just interested :)

:idea emma - you've probably tried this, but how about a hozelok adapter type thing from the garden centre? they fit onto any tap, and i'm sure they'd have some sort of adapter that would work with your python...just a thought :)

Emma--

I had the same problem as you with my python, and here's what I did, and it's slicker than snot. Get a waterbed kit. Since you're in the UK, you know better than I do as to where you can get one (mine came from nnnnnn, for you US'ers). The waterbed kit comes with some creative adapters, and the big one that's shaped like a " T " will hook to your faucet.

Archived