Snow storm tonight, what if I lose power?

Most of my filters have bio wheels. I worry that if I lose power that the bio wheels will dry up and it will kill all the good bacteria. Should I put the bio wheels in tank water if the power goes out? What about the goldfish? Every tank has a battery powered aerator hooked up to it that kicks on when the power goes. Also what about the fish is it best to just leave them in the tank?

Yep leave them in the tank. If you can fill a bath tub full of water in case you need to do a couple water changes. Also don't feed. It well help keep your water in good condition longer. I would stop feeding now.

Edited by Hidr

The big concerns in the event of power outages are:

1. Keeping media wet.

2. Keeping tank oxygened.

3. Preventing accumulation of toxic ammonia and/or nitrite.

There are simple fixes for all three, and I think you have them covered :)

1. Throw the media in the tank, or in a bucket of dechlorinated water. The advantage of putting the media in the tank is that your cycle bacteria can still process ammonia/nitrite etc.

2. Your battery operated airstone are good. The other thing you can do is to create some water splashing every once in a while.

3. Don't feed your fish during a power outrage. Treat with Prime or Amquel daily, and check your parameters. It's important not to go higher than 1-2x though, because we don't want it to deplete more oxygen from the water.

Okay this is a major problem my power is already out. I have a fish in a quarantine tank right now that needs metro meds every single day several times a day he's in a smaller tank so I don't really know what to do should I stop the metro meds. I can't fill up a tub power already out Ana I don't know why it's just raining outside.

Thank you Alex!!!

"Every tank has a battery powered aerator hooked up to it that kicks on when the power goes."

Sorry to jump in, but how do you get them to kick in when the power goes out? Is it a special brand? I must have!

I really worry about outages here but luckily we haven't had one in over a year despite our disgusting weather.

Hopefully your power comes back soon!

Power should be on at 2 but may go back out. I'm headed to petco to get more aerators

If it's only for a few hours, I wouldn't worry so much about getting more aerators.

To be completely honest with you, I actually don't break out the battery operated pumps unless the power is going to out for more than half a day. Otherwise, I just splash the tank water for a few minutes every hour or two. :)

I generally use my PC's UPS to power the aerators. It gives more than 5 hours backup for 2 aerators, on a full charge. Just a suggestion. You may try it. :)