Ghost shrimp =) and =(

BurningIvy

I've mentioned in my topic in tropical fish that I recently bought some ghost shrimp. hence the =) in the subject... the =( is because 4/5 died in the first two days. I have very clean water (0,0,0 ammonia nitrite nitrate) and a stable although a little low pH. The store I bought them in is willing to replace them for free but I'm hesitant because I don't want to bring them home just to clean them out of the tank in the morning. The remaining one shrimp is doing well from what I can see and the shrimp in the store are all lively and such. I'm curious what is killing them and I've ruled out the idea that it was the betta as one died even after being removed from the betta tank. Just looking for answers =) Also, the home tank is a 10G planted betta tank with sand substrate (currently holding the remaining little guy in a 1/2 G cup as it's all I have at the moment) fed omega one betta pellets and frozen baby brine shrimp filtered by an AC20 and heated to 80F. Thanks so much! (If I'm posting in too many different places please let me know. I don't want to be annoying.)

Those little guys are kind of like feeder goldfish, and unfortunately kept in very poor circumstances prior to coming home... most people use them as feeders for other fish, so they are overcrowded, not well fed, and etc. It is not uncommon to lose a lot of them, as they sometimes aren't too healthy while at the breeding farm, during shipping, and when reaching the store. If you happened to pick them up soon after arriving from being shipped, up the mortailty rate even more. I'd go ahead and get a few replacements to give it another shot. They're super fun, once you get them established in your tank. Just make sure to feed them pretty well for the first few days- they may not have been fed adequately for a bit, before you getting them. :)

I got three four days ago and they are in a five gallon that was overrun with algae going strong but It is hard with them since they are feeder Shrimps and aren't treated to well . I agree with Jamie I would get the replacements , :)

Edited by Gustave

I agree, I would get the replacements. With these guys, it's a hit or miss. The first time I bought a dozen I had them forever, they even had babies (although they got eaten by the fish). The second time I bought some, they were all gone within a couple weeks.

I agree with getting more. I had the same experience as Fang... some of mine did REALLY good (I also had babies :) ) and then some only lasted for a little while. I have one left in my tank now that has been alive for a really long time.... he must be a fighter LOL

Ok, unless I remember all wrong now, I also think they require a neutral or slightly alkaline pH for their shell and molting. Otherwise molting can give them a harder time - or actually a "softer" one, since their new shell may take longer to harden, leaving them vulnerable longer.

If you can, it probably won't hurt to try to raise it a bit. What else is in the tank? I have never had a tropical fish that had problems with a stable, higher pH. Even the wild caught neons that prefer a pH around 6 do fine in my 7.5 stable pH. Haven't lost a single one. My bettas and all the others do fine too :)

Maybe a small stocking with a hand full of crushed coral in the filter, or mixed into the substrate would be a good idea :)

I can do that with the crushed coral =) All I have in there is my betta and the shrimp. I took my snail out because everyone was dying and haven't seen him move since then =( If he's still alive he's going back in too... if it's not a battle zone in that time. Oh and I have a large anubias, three amazon swords, black sand, a large rock, and a small cave.

• 3 weeks later...