Sign in to follow this  
HappyPercy

What percentage of body weight to feed fish?

Sorry but I can't seem to find an exact answer for this. What is the formula again as far as how much to feed the fish by weight? What percentage of their body weight are you supposed to be feeding them? Sorry I'm sure its on one of the threads in the forum I just cant seem to find a specific answer. I finally got a scale that can weigh something as light as food but I also have a scale to weigh the fish. Thanks! Also, is it different when feeding metro meds?

Percy

For goldfish, a good healthy amount for feeding is anywhere around 0.5% to 1% of their body weight. For foods such as gel foods, which have a much higher water content, you can feed more, around 1.5% :)

For goldfish, a good healthy amount for feeding is anywhere around 0.5% to 1% of their body weight. For foods such as gel foods, which have a much higher water content, you can feed more, around 1.5% :)

Thank you!! Now how do I do body weight, I know this sounds silly but, do I weigh a container with water with and without the fish? Sorry stupid question lol

You will need a scale to weigh out the food, and the fish.

As Number 2 said about 0.5% - 1% is the starting range, with 0.5% for pellets and 1% for gel. However, I must point out that even with these starting ranges, we have to:

1. see how well the fish does on it. Is he constipated, etc.?

2. see if there is weight gain. Is it too little or too much?

Thank you for the video that is very helpful