Sign in to follow this  
nicoleauryn

Color Enhancing - Reds

Was curious if anyone has any tips on getting orange/red fish more red. I feed my fish mostly ProGold but also feed some Saki-Hikari purple bag, ShoGold, Soilent Green, blanched Spinach, peas and canned green beans to mix it up a bit. Ive tried fresh cucumbers a few times but the fish are very meh about it. I keep meaning to use garlic, maybe rub on spinach but haven't yet.

I keep the soilent green as more of a treat because I do not want the whites of my fish to get too too yellow but I also want the fish to get proper nutrition.

So, curious to know if anyone has advice to get them reds to pop :D Thanks!

I think colour enhancing in fish is complicated but a basic factor people often attribute is Carotenoids.

For red/orange I think carotenes are probably good and you can get them naturally from things such as carrot or red bell pepper.

You could maybe try making gel food from these veggies and using it as a suppliment to the existing diet? I think a little red salmon could also be added if you felt you wanted a fishmeal component.

I think from what I looked up (granted this was for cichlids not GF) there is alot of crossover in ingredients for enhancing reds and yellows so it could be hard to find a way to do one without the other.

I could be wrong, but thats my very basic understanding.

Edited by Lucerne

Maybe the lighting? I got a new Aqueon LED strip with modular tubes. I can add 3 tubes of LEDs. One is Daylight and the other two is Colormax (also for plants, mixture of Daylight and Color Enhancing). The Colormax has some red LEDs. I noticed it made Razzy more redder (but hard to see in vidz due to camera).

Was curious if anyone has any tips on getting orange/red fish more red. I feed my fish mostly ProGold but also feed some Saki-Hikari purple bag, ShoGold, Soilent Green, blanched Spinach, peas and canned green beans to mix it up a bit. Ive tried fresh cucumbers a few times but the fish are very meh about it. I keep meaning to use garlic, maybe rub on spinach but haven't yet.

I keep the soilent green as more of a treat because I do not want the whites of my fish to get too too yellow but I also want the fish to get proper nutrition.

So, curious to know if anyone has advice to get them reds to pop :D Thanks!

RanchuGirl years ago would feed her fish bell peppers in her gel food and that seem to make the colors of her fish more Orange and red :)

Put them in a pond in the spring. You'll see gorgeous red.

Put them in a pond in the spring. You'll see gorgeous red.

:thumb: best thing :)