Goldfish Fry - Another Single Fry

tithra

This sucks :(

I'm just throwing out whatever comes to my mind, ok? Temperature and pH are considerably stable? How did you transfer the eggs from the tank to the baby-home? The eggs can get damaged easily and I wouldn't doubt that this can affect the fry later on.

What do you use to do water changes on the small containers, and what water source (just thinking that when preparing small quantities of fresh water for w/c it is east to overdose Prime unless you use a dropper)?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a shame. I do think that you might be on to something with less dramatic water changes. Might there be something different about the water that we can't test or measure and which could shock a so small creature?

This sucks

I'm just throwing out whatever comes to my mind, ok? Temperature and pH are considerably stable? How did you transfer the eggs from the tank to the baby-home? The eggs can get damaged easily and I wouldn't doubt that this can affect the fry later on.

What do you use to do water changes on the small containers, and what water source (just thinking that when preparing small quantities of fresh water for w/c it is east to overdose Prime unless you use a dropper)?

Thanks Fang :)

I have matched ph and temp during water changes - I have actually been keeping their little container in a heated 10 gallon to keep temp stable bc my house temp fluctuates. I have been using aged water from the 10 gallon to do the water changes. I've been using a Turkey baster to do the water changes. The 10 gallon water is treated with prime and Buffer just like my big tank.

I used an eye dropper to pick up eggs from the tank,the opening is larger than the egg size, but they do get rattled around a bit when they get sucked up :idont

I

Jess, have you thought of trying to get the pair to breed in another tank? Then you wouldn't have to move the fry at all, just drop the water level after mom and dad are back in the main tank.

:)

Hey guys, so not good news here.

The single fry died at 6 days - around the same time as the last one.

water changes, wondering if maybe the stress of big water changes was two much for the last two. I also added a little meth blue to this tub.

meth blue is good for eggs before hatch. not good after prazi from egg on is good too.. You have have made many mistakes( this is my personal opinion) that we all do in begining.

sucess can be very near. if you follow the suggested path. with a larger bowl no or little water change is needed in begining, and of course no food soon and very fine after then on to live .

water changes, wondering if maybe the stress of big water changes was two much for the last two. I also added a little meth blue to this tub.

meth blue is good for eggs before hatch. not good after prazi from egg on is good too.. You have have made many mistakes( this is my personal opinion) that we all do in begining.

sucess can be very near. if you follow the suggested path. with a larger bowl no or little water change is needed in begining, and of course no food soon and very fine after then on to live .

I guess I am trying to figure out what mistakes I am making so that I can correct them. Please let me know what mistakes you see, I would greatly appreciate this.

I added the meth blue when they were still eggs, and did a water change when they hatched. With the first two eggs I added prazi after they hatched as you suggested. With these 3 I did not simply because I was trying to do things differently to figure out where I was going wrong.

For the first two they were in a very small container (a betta cup) so I did daily water changes for the first fry and 2x water changes for the second using a turkey baster to be very careful not to disturb them too much.

These 3 are in a larger container in order to cut back on water changes. I have been doing a small water change every few days.

For all fry I have held off on feeding for the first two days. The last two fry I fed live baby brine shrimp, along with Hikari first bites and repashy powder. For these 3 fry I have been adding live microworms and baby brine shrimp only, but they don't appear to be going after the food. Mostly laying on the floor.

None of these fry have tried to swim. The most active of the bunch has only scooted around on the floor a little here and there before laying back on its side.

I have kept plants in all of the tanks and kept lights off to minimize stress.

Any input you have is really appreciated! I believe they are done spawning for now, but I assume they will likely spawn in the spring again, so this info will be good to have then.

hi tithra, seems that you have covered everything so no need to expand.

I have found that respecting the lunar cycle produces results in spawns.

perhaps if you groom the parents a little if might help. groom means to pump them up super rich food and make them parasite free. Next is the love nest . You prepare a beautiful nest of plants or yarns strings or cottons and they will populate it with eggs. Better is that when they begin to spawn is move them into the prepared tank where they leave the eggs. after you remove the lovers.This produces good results. eggs are then given same treatment as you have done . that is the best than I can suggest . And wish you best on next spawns.

Add. I noted the pictures on first group that the gills did seem wrong , maybe parasite. next group looked ok. and saw nothing that would suggest the deaths.

I raise many fish from egg and find that when they have good water and after about the 4th day are given to good food do very well.

hope that this helps you .

hi tithra, seems that you have covered everything so no need to expand.

I have found that respecting the lunar cycle produces results in spawns.

perhaps if you groom the parents a little if might help. groom means to pump them up super rich food and make them parasite free. Next is the love nest . You prepare a beautiful nest of plants or yarns strings or cottons and they will populate it with eggs. Better is that when they begin to spawn is move them into the prepared tank where they leave the eggs. after you remove the lovers.This produces good results. eggs are then given same treatment as you have done . that is the best than I can suggest . And wish you best on next spawns.

Add. I noted the pictures on first group that the gills did seem wrong , maybe parasite. next group looked ok. and saw nothing that would suggest the deaths.

I raise many fish from egg and find that when they have good water and after about the 4th day are given to good food do very well.

hope that this helps you .

Thank you so much for your response :) I really appreciate it.

I do think next time I will try putting them in a separate tank to spawn and using a spawning mop - I had meant to make one a couple weeks ago, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Michael, in the spirit of trying to avoid all future mistakes on the part of the fledgling breeders and in the spirit of learning, my request, made when tithra first posted about her fish spawning still stands. Please write a nice and thorough article detailing what one needs to do from day zero and on. I appreciate your help in this matter, and look forward to seeing this. Thank you on behalf of all of us who will be consulting your writing in the future.

Alex

I do think next time I will try putting them in a separate tank to spawn and using a spawning mop - I had meant to make one a couple weeks ago, but just haven't gotten around to it.

You will enjoy the results of having a greater number of fry to work with. raising just a few less than 20 is very difficult. next time you will be ready and I know that your spawn will be a fruitful.

ha ha i now wait for my baby telescope to produce their first spawn, always interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Try to find specific good YouTube videos about breeding goldfish, sorry about your fry loss.

Shouldn't really put it in a container, maybe a barebottom like your 10 gal should work fine. Try adding some hornwort in there too.