Started Cycling Tank Advice From Variety Of Sources, Now Feeling Stuck.

Guest BrennyBlues94

Guest BrennyBlues94

Hello,

I started cycling a tank (Second hand, 75L, inc second hand filter and aerator) a few days ago, and I went to get my water tested the same day.

One friend (very involved in Goldfish and other aquatic care) told me to cycle my tank first after getting my water filtered for a month or so, topping up the Prime as I did so.

Another friend told me to do a half tank flush before filling it up every week.

And a pet store told me to take these 4 sick looking Goldfish and put them in my tank while it cycles.

At the pet store, I was also given:

- Blue Baggie of Crystals (Showmaster)

- Dechlorinating Liquid Aquatopia Water Conditioner.

So far, Ive added the water into the tank, adding the said ammount of crystals and liquid, and have the 4 fish in (feeding them 3 times daily). I've been doing a half empty/refil and adding half the crystals and liquid of what I'd do if I were doing a whole tank fill.

I'm really unsure as to what to do an am beginning to panic, is there anybody that can help me with what I'm meant to be doing in a plain and simple form of what I should be doin on a day to day basis?

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm really in need of straight advice :(

A 75L tank can nicely house one goldfish. If you are attached to the goldfish I'd say keep one and return the rest. You CAN cycle a tank with a fish in but it takes longer so be prepared for a wait. A nice explanation on the fishless cycle is in my siggy below :) I did a quick google of the showmaster crystals and it said it was carbon. If you confirm that it is carbon or charcoal. Then don't use it in your filter, it takes up space and absorbs the food the cycle bacteria needs.

You will need a dependable test kit, API Drops kit is the most accurate. You'll need to be testing ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH on a regular basis. Again drops are more accurate then strips. I'll need to know what you have in your filter as media and what type of filter you have.

Let me know if you decide to do a fish-in or a fishless cycle and I will help you from there. :)

A fishless cycle is the easiest. If you do not plan to keep the 4 little guys, bring them back to the store. Buy pure ammonia instead and a test kit to test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Adding ammonia means that you wont have to do daily water changes and it should increase the speed of your cycle. You will want to add enough ammonia to get it to 4ppm. There is a converter online to tell you how many ml of ammonia you will need to add to your specific tank. You wont need to do a water change until you get your ammonia and nitrites to 0 and show some form of nitrates. You will do the water change just before adding fish.

This can take days, weeks or even months to complete.

Sent from my SCH-I535

A 75L tank can nicely house one goldfish. If you are attached to the goldfish I'd say keep one and return the rest. You CAN cycle a tank with a fish in but it takes longer so be prepared for a wait. A nice explanation on the fishless cycle is in my siggy below :) I did a quick google of the showmaster crystals and it said it was carbon. If you confirm that it is carbon or charcoal. Then don't use it in your filter, it takes up space and absorbs the food the cycle bacteria needs.

You will need a dependable test kit, API Drops kit is the most accurate. You'll need to be testing ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH on a regular basis. Again drops are more accurate then strips. I'll need to know what you have in your filter as media and what type of filter you have.

Let me know if you decide to do a fish-in or a fishless cycle and I will help you from there. :)

i just have a question on what u said about the carbon ive been cycling for going on 24 days with fish im running 2 hob filters with carbon inside the inserts that came with the filters should i cut the carbon out i have plenty of filter media i can fill the space with will that help with cycling?

Yes removing the carbon from the premade filter helps with cycling. Carbon absorbs the ammonia the fish are producing so that it can't harm your fish. But your bacteria can't get to it either so they don't have enough food to reproduce. This makes cycling take longer. You can add more filter floss (polester quilt batting) or bioballs to your filter that will grow and house the bacteria :)

Yes removing the carbon from the premade filter helps with cycling. Carbon absorbs the ammonia the fish are producing so that it can't harm your fish. But your bacteria can't get to it either so they don't have enough food to reproduce. This makes cycling take longer. You can add more filter floss (polester quilt batting) or bioballs to your filter that will grow and house the bacteria :)

thanks i will do that tonight :D