Buying new tank

Hi Everyone

ok so me and the boyfriend went to price out tanks today at our local pet stores and aquarium shops I saw the most beautiful 72 bow front painted and drilled with a beautiful dark wood stand it was custom so quite pricy with the Sump set up and all! I wish I would have taken a picture it was the most lovely fish tank I ever saw. So my question is the sump set up really worth it or should I go with my original plan to just go to petsmart and buy something cheaper? The price difference is about $600 does u think it’s worth it to go custom or will we be wasting our money!! I almost forgot the stand puts the tank top rim at about a little bellow my eye level I’m 5 foot 4 inches I would need to stand on a stool to do any cleaning do u think that’s practical? I could have them make me a shorter stand but would cost more $$ my boyfriend is willing to get it but I’m apprehensive about it it’s a lot of tank and a lot of $$!!

Sumps can be awesome, but unless you decide independent of this tank's existence that a sump is what you want, I wouldn't say it's worth it. It does add some complexity to your system in the form of things that might leak and such, so you might in addition find that this worry is not worth it for you.

I decided I did want a sump when I was shopping for a larger tank, and I got an awesome expensive tank that was drilled and everything. I ended up taking that tank back and getting a regular 75 with some canister filters. :) I still do think that having a sump would've been awesome, but for me the hassle of setting it up was just not worth it.

We do have members here who have sumps and love them. But they are definitely not as common in freshwater fish keeping.