Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mr Grump

Fasting day?

Guest Mr Grump

We feed 3 meals a day. Peas each day, New life Spectrum pellets once a day, SLC frozen brine shrimp once a week. Other meals are either Soilent Green which seems to cause some consitpation, or a home made veg meal. I day per week is veggie only. Should we have a fasting day?

I think fasting one day and then feeding either just peas or just frozen bloodworm the next day might help with constipation.

I actually prefer to do a day of just veggies as opposed to fasting, particularly for young growing fish unless there is an obvious constipation problem, then a couple days of fasting might be in order, but I don't think weekly fasting is a necessary thing

I would also recommend that you not feed peas daily. There is some concern that peas may actually cause some digestive issues for sensitive fish because of the type of protein they contain. Cooked green beans or spinach is a better choice for a laxative type veggie :)

I have one floaty fish who does better (less floaty) if I fast one day. I tend to fast them once every 7-10 days. I usually pick a day that I work because if I'm home and they see me, I can't resist the sad "Feed me" faces they give me. :feedme

:rofl

Guest Mr Grump

Thanks, we will cut down on the peas & try green beans. They really don't like spinach & treat it like poo.

The constipation issues were not severe, but involved some sitting on the substrate that rarely lasts for more than 1 day. We wanted to try to fix that fr long term.

Thanks, we will cut down on the peas & try green beans. They really don't like spinach & treat it like poo.

The constipation issues were not severe, but involved some sitting on the substrate that rarely lasts for more than 1 day. We wanted to try to fix that fr long term.

lol. Sometimes fish take awhile to warm up to certain veggies, it might be worth trying spinach again here and there, and make sure it is nice and soft for them :)

lol. Sometimes fish take awhile to warm up to certain veggies, it might be worth trying spinach again here and there, :)

:rofl Tried that with my kids too!! :rofl Didn't work with them either. :teehee

Narny105 had trouble feeding spinach to his fish too, he ended up training them using Repashy gel foods. You could also try coating the spinach in a little garlic juice, goldfish go crazy for garlic.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105270-vegetable-training-with-repashy-soilent-green/