Sign in to follow this  
Jeff99

Rice ? Sure?

Now I want to give my goldfish a diet could someone help me ? What should I give to them and I now give them rice LOL ......... Is that a good food for diet ? Are the rice have poison ?

Rice is just about as bad a diet as could be for your fish. It's too high in sugar. It's OK to give it as a little treat every once in a while, but not as a staple, or even a frequent treat.

Ok ... Thx .

So what kind of diet could my goldfish have?

Check out the Goldfish Foods section. We have many threads on this, and it's a good place to start. :)

Rice is a grain. And from what I've read, goldies don't do too well with grains. I'd look more into a high quality food from your LPS or look into making some gel food.

Ok ... Thx .

So what kind of diet could my goldfish have?

definitely check out the food section of the forum, there's lots of info there.

As a staple food you want either a high quality sinking pellet or some type of gel food (there are commercial versions such as repashy or you make it at home, not sure what is available where you are). In addition to a staple food you can also feed veggies such as spinach, cucumber, kale, green leafy lettuces, zucchini etc. - just boil or microwave them to soften them up before feeding.

Rice = Kaboom

They expand and explode inside your fish. Its why rice can't be thrown after the weddings cuz of birds. We don't want your Goldfish to suffer from explosions.

Rice = Kaboom

They expand and explode inside your fish. Its why rice can't be thrown after the weddings cuz of birds. We don't want your Goldfish to suffer from explosions.

:rofl

That is a myth with regard to the birds.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/birdrice.asp

In many Asian countries, chickens are fed rice grains, all without exploding incidents. :)

It is however true that rice is bad for fish, just as it's not exactly good for us. It has a very high glycemic index.

Alex, if you waited a few hours to observe terrified reactions.... :-D

Anyways, I thought it was true since high school!

Alex, if you waited a few hours to observe terrified reactions.... :-D

Anyways, I thought it was true since high school!

I have watched many birds eat rice, since my childhood, and there have been no terrified reactions, no explosions of avian grisly mess.

Why would rice cause a bird to explode.

Also, when you feed a fish rice, which you could do on a very rare occasion, you feed cooked rice. :)

My bird actually used to steal my white rice directly off of my plate if I had any. The rice did not effect her either.

:)

Alex. it's nice to know that I'm not the only one to run the strange things people say (and e-mail) through snopes or other debunking sites. The rice one was just to silly to check anyway.

Rice just isn't very nutritious, although the red and black whole grain rices are decent grains and really taste good.

Alex. it's nice to know that I'm not the only one to run the strange things people say (and e-mail) through snopes or other debunking sites. The rice one was just to silly to check anyway.

:rofl

I meant for the original poster to be terrified. :-)

Well we like to tell the truth not scare the poop out of people dude.

I meant for the original poster to be terrified. :-)

Well we like to tell the truth not scare the poop out of people dude.

:tomuch: