Sign in to follow this  
usmgp1

2 week old goldfish fry vs 5 day old goldfish fry

Is it safe to put an older fry in with the younger ones or will the older ones eat or hurt the younger fry?

It is not uncommon that older, larger ones may eat smaller ones. I personally don't know what age/size difference this is, but when in doubt, keep them separated :)

Definitely not, if you want to keep the little ones.

.... the older ones eat or hurt the younger fry?

yes , just like Hannible the canibile. a good size big sister can eat 15 to 60 little brother a day. and little brother is excellent live fresh food too! Ugh.

Definitely not, if you want to keep the little ones.

.... the older ones eat or hurt the younger fry?

yes , just like Hannible the canibile. a good size big sister can eat 15 to 60 little brother a day. and little brother is excellent live fresh food too! Ugh.

Just out of personal curiosity: Even at only 9 days age difference?

I mean, I am keeping my two (lol) fry separate too, and they are about 2 weeks age difference. But I know that I am paranoid and overly cautious, so I didn't think that I'd make a good example oO

Excuse me guys for all the notification about being quoted. Obviously spelling (or proper usage of QUOTE) are not my strengths today :(

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Just out of personal curiosity: Even at only 9 days age difference?

I mean, I am keeping my two (lol) fry separate too, and they are about 2 weeks age difference.

Ofcourse depends upon size of the bigger fish but much more than a week is risky. At least with a lot of fry as some will grow much faster and be bigger and stronger than the rest and then become predators. with only two perhaps your OK. just see that they get enough live food such as artemia or mosquito larva.

I recently saw someone on here whose larger fry from the same spawn ate a smaller one.

From a pond standpoint you can conceivably have more than one spawning of fry growing at the same times. Providing lots of shelter with floating plants like duckweed keep them at the surface and at the food source. Normally in ponds your spawns are in the 1000s so there is calculable loss from parental and sibling predation.

Moving on to smaller spawns from tank eggs. Providing the same conditions of lots of shelter and lots of food should cut down on the predation. Also since you check on your fry more than once a day you can remove the fry that are growing faster that pose a threat and give them their own space. It's up to you to determine whether you want to do this. The benefits are less containers to deal with.

Downfalls are more than just predation. Increasing your population in a tank may cause you to increase your water changes. You'll have to have more food ready at a time. Are you prepared for these changes that may occur?

From a growth standpoint, everything should even out between day 30-50 of life and you can safely combine them then :)

It's safe to put older fry with younger fry as long as the younger fry are too big to eat.