New friends!

BurningIvy

So I went to the lfs to pick up some frozen baby brine shrimp for my fry... and came home with five ghost shrimp and two bala sharks. =) I hope the guy at the lfs wasn't lying to me about the sharks being okay with my two bn plecos. I know I'll have to upgrade from the 10G but I'm looking into that now. (my dad is almost there with the idea of a 55G) I'm planning to feed soilent green as he said that any regular fish food is good for the sharks. As for the ghost shrimp they'll be heading in with my male betta and Guss the snail =) happy day! Any suggestions or things I'm doing wrong??

Sounds cool, but you will have to upgrade to something bigger than a 55g with the Bala Sharks. oO

http://www.balashark..._shark_care.php

So they should have a school of 5 or more, grow to be 10-14", and with that should have a 125g tank :krazy:

EDIT: But from the info on the bottom, that would make a gorgeous tank, 125g with bala sharks, angelfish, lots of plants and driftwood... :) I'd love that!

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Whatever size tank you end up with, be sure it has a lid, these guys are known jumpers. They're pretty flighty and pick up some serious speed when spooked. It might be wise to have tall plants to slow 'em down and keep them from bonking their silly heads on the glass - they do that, too.

They are cool fish with the right care, though, and, I believe, very peaceful, in spite of their trade name.

Luckily, I'm in charge of the 125G tropical tank at work now and in a few weeks (post QT) they'll have a home there. Now that we have that all fixed up... two of my five ghost shrimp died today =/ I'm so confused. I wonder if betta terrrorized them to death or what but one of them had his insides eaten. =(((((( what is wrong??

Well seeing as ghost shrimp are kept as feeders at pet stores, they probly haven't had the best of care. The great living conditions might have been too much of a shock for them. Ya might wanna put a lid on your tank, they are escape artists.

Edited by smegypsiren

I hope that's what happened. =( I would feel so bad if it had to do with Gilbert being a big meany. I've still got the two as of this morning and I need to find out if they can be prazi'd or anything because I honestly didn't even think of that =/

Idk he might have eaten them. I made the mistake of putting a dwarf african frog in with my betta like the lfs said I could (idiots), he grabbed him by the leg and shook him to death. That was a gods awful sight. Get a lid on that puppy, there escape artists.

There is a lid =( it just has a whole were the filter hangs off... I'm sure one of them was eaten I'm just not sure if it was after it died or not. Mysterious to me. I thought lots of people kept snails and shrimp with bettas... In fact a good in real life friend who keeps bettas told me she does and has never had problems. I guess Gilbert is extremely aggressive and can't have friends. Even though he seemed to leave Guss alone. I'm too attached to Guss to risk it.

It's likely that your shrimp died of the stress from it's previous conditions. With shrimp stress is accumulative and will cause them to die slowly over time.

Shrimp are also a lot more sensitive to water conditions. Shrimp don't usually crawl out of the tank unless they don't like the water. I don't know anything about prazi but medications that contain copper will kill shrimp.

Betta's are shrimp eaters. So putting shrimp with a Betta is risky.

Guss has been adapted to the tank three times now and each time pulled out after a day or two because I get nervous. He just won't move in the tank with Gilbert and I know I don't give him enough time but I worry he'll die and I would hate that.

The previous conditions for the shrimp were probably way worse than mine. I clean the 10G way more than I need too... I'm a fishcleaningaholic. Maybe they were used to dirty water and the clean water irritated them? Like how nitrate poisoning hurts goldfish if you change them to clean water? I'm not sure but I can say for sure that my water isn't dirty or bad. I tend to it too much for that. =p I love my Gilbert but maybe he's doomed to be alone.

I'm sure Gilbert will be more then happy to not have any annoying neighbors. I swear bettas get annoyed easier then I do ;) So where's Gus gonna go? Oh I know, I know put him in with big Bill, maybe if the grow up together Bill won't eat him. My little godson looks so lonely. How many babies ya got now?

Edited by smegypsiren