To breed or not to breed?

alvintran1998

I've been seeing a lot of members' posts about their goldfish laying eggs and their fries, and it makes me so jealous. So I'm wondering if having fries really is a good thing, and if I should encourage my fish to lay eggs. I have started lowering the temperature to 64*F but haven't reached there yet since I'm taking this slow, plus my water can't quite reach that low during the day. So what do you think, should I breed them, or should I just leave them to do their own thing? And are you planning on breeding your fish this spring?

well it depends, do you have the space and time to tend to fry?? I personally would just let them do their thing ;)

I do have a spare 10 gallon and a 20 gallon laying around. But about the time, I'm not sure how much time is needed for care, since I have school and homework, but if it's just feeding and changing water and checking on them daily, then I have time. If it's a good idea, then I'm just going to encourage them to spawn by changing the water temperature and keeping the water clean, but if they want to do it or not, it's up to them, i guess. :P

Edited by alvintran1998

The things you will have to think about first is are you able to raise fry? Will you have room for them or can you ensure that they go to good, caring homes?

Are you willing to cull a lot of them in order to not have dozens of baby fish to re-home? Re-homing them to good places can be more difficult that you think. After all you don't want to give them to an LFS where some 8 year old kid might get your precious baby fish and stuffs them into a bowl. I would never give my fish to the LFS.

For feeding, you will have to feed them about every three hours at first to get them to grow properly. It really is not that time consuming honestly. Again, my biggest issue is finding good homes :)

I think you mean fry, not fries. :rofl

Whatever you do, as what Oerba Yun Fang said, do not give the fish to the LFS. Most LFS sell to overstocked people, bowl people, or even random fish in a tank people. They often die quickly with those people, and might come back and get another one of your babies as a replacement and make the fish suffer. You could rehome them all to good keepers on Koko's, or any other forum that is based on goldfish. :)

Whatever you do, as what Oerba Yun Fang said, do not give the fish to the LFS. Most LFS sell to overstocked people, bowl people, or even random fish in a tank people. They often die quickly with those people, and might come back and get another one of your babies as a replacement and make the fish suffer. You could rehome them all to good keepers on Koko's, or any other forum that is based on goldfish. :)

Isn't the plural form of fry is fries? Idk, I'm never good at grammar & spelling.

I guess I'll just let them do what they've got to do then.

Isn't the plural form of fry is fries? Idk, I'm never good at grammar & spelling.

I believe "fry" can be used as a plural or singular form, just as "moose" can refer to one or more moose. But it doesn't really matter! we all know what you meant ;)

I believe "fry" can be used as a plural or singular form, just as "moose" can refer to one or more moose. But it doesn't really matter! we all know what you meant ;)

Oh okay.

The best thing to feed fry is newly hatched brine shrimp. You could hatch a batch of brine shrimp so you know what your doing when the fry come.

how do I do this?

Add eight table spoons of aquarium salt to 1 gallon of conditioned water. Put in an air stone. Add brine shrimp eggs and in around 24 to 36 hours the eggs will hatch.

Just a silly question, does anybody know when goldfish naturally and usually lay egg? I'm curious since I'm afraid that when I'm at school and if they do decide to lay eggs, they'll probably be eaten before I get home. Also, how long is it between eggs being laid and eggs being eaten if not removed?