Community sorority - very picture heavy

number20121

After a month of quarantine, the six girls moved into the community tank today and I am actually very pleased with how well behaved they are so far. I have witnessed only one (rather harmless) fight so far, everything else was just flaring, posing and threatening.

The other members of the community are helping keeping them under control. They keep checking the girls out which distracts them from each other, and the one fight that I mentioned above was actually started with a bloodfin tetra that decided to pick on one of the smaller girls while she and another one had a competition in flaring. First they fought him off and then they fought each other for about 30 seconds before going separate ways :rofl

They seem to have slight trouble with the filters since they probably never experienced any. My smallest, yellow girl got herself stuck to the Penguin intake within 15 minutes. I covered the intake with stocking and now everything is fine. :) The whisper EX filter, although stronger in rate, is not a problem since the intake basket is much larger than the one on the Penguin, and so the suction isn't as bad.

Anyway, here a few pics. Some of the fish you guys do not even know yet, so I'll be commenting a lot of these photos :)

The "rainbow" colored girl can finally show off her full beauty. Her body got a lot more blue during QT.

100_8377.jpg

100_8378.jpg

To the right my mother-of-pearl colored new girl. I was originally looking for a deep red one when I saw this little beauty.

100_8379.jpg

The rainbow and the mother-of-pearl pick on each other the most, but so far without violence. In the foreground my blue girl and a olive/red girl that I still need to introduce.

100_8380.jpg

Mother of pearl and the yellow baby. I hadn't realized just HOW small the yellow girl is. She is quite docile so far.

100_8386.jpg

Teal and olive/red posing in the floating jungle

100_8388.jpg

The platy boys were very interested in the betta girls.

100_8402.jpg

This is my only "normal" girl, all the others are crown tails. She too is rather peaceful.

100_8408.jpg

To the right is my olive/red girl. When she does not have stress stripes, her body is a greenish-brown olive with burgundy fins. On the fin base and along her back she has a beautiful pale purple shimmer when the light hits her right

100_8412.jpg

The teal girl kept flaring at all the plants at first, in particular my dwarf lily. This is the third fish you guys do not know yet.

100_8414.jpg

Little yellow girl checking out the tank, while Cid is being suspicious of these new crazy chicks in his tank LOL

100_8416.jpg

100_8419.jpg

This photo shows the pale purple shimmer on olive/red girl to the right.

100_8423.jpg

Rainbow is not amused.

100_8424.jpg

This here I loved. They remembered quickly that I am the one with the food. They came up to the feeding hole soon after I stood up.

100_8428.jpg

100_8430.jpg

General feeding frenzy

100_8431.jpg

100_8440.jpg

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Awe so pretty! I love the angel in the one picture! Where did you get them?

So pretty! :) I'd love to have a big community tank someday...I LOVE yours! :heart

Very cute! Loving the sorority. I didn't think angels and bettas could go together! Keep us updated (; this is one interesting and vibrant tank!

Thanks you guys!

M&M: All these fish in there (including the non-bettas) are from Petsmart :)

Jess: Thank you so much! :)

Charly: From what I understand, male bettas x angels are "the" issue, just like you can not keep several male bettas in a tank together. You can with the females though, and they are usually more peaceful with the other tank mates as well. Of course there is always the risk that one decides to start picking on the angel (or any other tank mate) and I will have to keep an eye on this :)

I had no idea female bettas were so beautiful.

I didn't either until I got my first girl back in 2011 (she passed away a little while ago from a tumor though). These girls are very beautiful once they are not stressed. Their fins may not be as flowy as the male fish's but they are nevertheless gorgeous and sassy.

Now I think they are very underrated, and due to the fact that - unlike with males - you can keep several of them together in a tank, if you provide enough plants and cover, is very neat. This way you can have a small tank full with half a dozen or more of beautiful bettas, which you could never do with the boys. :)

Your tank is looking great. Full of life. Plants and fish.

Anytime you need help just yell.

Thanks a lot :)

Wow! I got all my fish from petsmart too!

Yep, all but three of my goldfish are from Petsmart as well. My local store has a very healthy and beautiful stock of life fish :)

Oh yay!!!!! I was so excited to see this!!!!!

They are all so gorgeous :heart :heart

Thanks a lot :)

I never knew girly bettas were so beautiful. Little yellow girl is just so pretty and petite. I wonder if you could mix male guppies with betta girls?

Good question. But I think here the disadvantage would be that the male guppies are smaller than female bettas, from what I see at the LFS. With their pretty colors and flowy tails, the male guppies will probably attract more (negative) attention than less colorful non-betta tank mates. But unlike fellow bettas, the guppies are more docile and may not be able to defend themselves the way two female bettas would and could.

My Petsmart usually has a lot of pretty betta girls. The crown tails seem to come in a larger color variety than the normal ones. Normal ones I usually see in various shade of red and blue and teal and brown, but even those are very pretty, when I look at my fully blue girl and the red one that didn't make it through QT. :)

I figured it might not be a good idea with male guppies, but I'm such a sucker for a nice tail. I think a sorority is slowly inching its way up my next tank project list. They look so fascinating to watch, with all their drama and attitude. Oh and just loving all your plants :D

I figured it might not be a good idea with male guppies, but I'm such a sucker for a nice tail. I think a sorority is slowly inching its way up my next tank project list. They look so fascinating to watch, with all their drama and attitude. Oh and just loving all your plants :D

So far it definitely is fun! And you don't even have to have a big tank like this for a sorority; a 20g long will make a gorgeous home for 6 or more girls. I do have to say though that it feels as if all the tetras do distract the girls from each other a lot, which probably keeps the initial fighting down a bit.

Your rainbow girl (As well as everyone else) is gorgeous!

I have a yellow girl just like yours. I think that's such a cool betta color!

Thanks!

That is cool, is yours too somewhere in between being pink and yellow? Kind of like a weird skin color. That's how the body of mine is, with a very light blue shimmer along the sides :)

Very nice Fang! I love the pearlie one :heart

I look forward to updates! I think it's good someone will be actively keeping a sorority here, so that you can answer all the questions that come up about this sort of setup ;)