Sign in to follow this  
doddmatic

Making gel food for the first time

Hey guys

I'm going to make some gel food for the first time, I have on hand:

Peas

Courgette (1 Cup of veggies all together)

1 Small can of Tuna in spring water

Some dechlorinated water and gelatine

I read also that some people put in crushed up goldfish food? I have tetra 'goldfish gold Japan', would s few teaspoons of that help?

I've also read about people putting in garlic paste and fish oil, both of which I have.

Another thing I'm unsure of, if I'm putting in a half cup of cooked frozen peas and mixing it all up in a blender, do I need to de-shell the peas as I do when I'm feeding them alone?

Any advice people could offer would be great.

This is only my second thread on Koko's but air must say it's a fantastic place

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Apologies for the typos, on my phone

Hey guys

I'm going to make some gel food for the first time, I have on hand:

Peas

Courgette (1 Cup of veggies all together)

1 Small can of Tuna in spring water

Some dechlorinated water and gelatine

I read also that some people put in crushed up goldfish food? I have tetra 'goldfish gold Japan', would s few teaspoons of that help?

You can add crushed fish food if you want to, but it isn't necessary. The ingredients added are your preference, provided they are fine for the fish

I've also read about people putting in garlic paste and fish oil, both of which I have.

I used to put a teaspoon of garlic in, which is fine. Garlic is not only tasty, but also good for them. You can also add a probiotic tablet and a multivitamin if you wish.

Another thing I'm unsure of, if I'm putting in a half cup of cooked frozen peas and mixing it all up in a blender, do I need to de-shell the peas as I do when I'm feeding them alone?

Since they are all blended in together into a paste, no, you can leave them on :) You de-shell when feeding pea's normally though

Any advice people could offer would be great.

This is only my second thread on Koko's but air must say it's a fantastic place

Hope this helps somewhat! Here's some other recipes that people contributed!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97760-share-your-gel-food-recipes-for-floaters/

Thanks !

I recently started to make gel food too, my advice is just to make it as fine a paste as you can with your blender, and add more rather than less of the setting agent.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, I went ahead an de-shelled the peas before reading Narny's response, took the whole morning.

Here's part of my first batch, frozen:

http://i.imgur.com/42nIn.jpg

It smells and looks like cat food.

Just wondering how you guys feed the gel food? My fish aren't very good at locating it when I cut it down to pellet-size,

at one point I did throw a whole piece in and after a while they all started grazing on it. It was fun to watch and I scooped it out

as soon as it got anywhere close to the size of their mouths, but obviously this is wasteful and requires supervision.

Very cute fishes! :)

Its good theyll already graze on a big block, but it could take them a little longer to recognise it as food enough to snap up small pieces quickly. Did you add garlic in the end? that may attract them better too.

You could also try to teach them to hand feed from you, which would make it easier to give them bitesize pieces. Sakura did a video on teaching fish to hand feed that might be useful if you wanted to go that route:

Thanks

Yes, I ended up putting in some minced garlic in the end. It did take them about five minutes to figure out that it was food but as soon as they did they were all over it.

Oddly enough they were very civilized about the whole affair, taking turns to eat, leaving when they were full and coming back for more a few minutes later, much less

frenzied than usual.

The main problem I have is that the batch I've made - which should last months - is almost the same colour as the substrate, regardless of size. I don't know if sight is a strong

factor in their ability to distinguish food from 'not-food' but it certainly takes them longer to find this than the tetra gold pellets. I'll try to make it much greener next time :)

Oddly enough the large moor eats from my hand as a preference, and didn't need to be encouraged, but I might just try training the others.

Thanks again

Very cute fishes! :)

Its good theyll already graze on a big block, but it could take them a little longer to recognise it as food enough to snap up small pieces quickly. Did you add garlic in the end? that may attract them better too.

You could also try to teach them to hand feed from you, which would make it easier to give them bitesize pieces. Sakura did a video on teaching fish to hand feed that might be useful if you wanted to go that route:

oh my god, her goldfishes are too beautiful to be true....can any Pro estimate how much each one cost?