Sign in to follow this  
Jessijaxx

Water change and Prime

How long after putting prime in the tap water is safe to put in the tank?

Thx :)

I use a fifty foot water changer, and I put prime in the tank before the water is going back into the tank :)

Edited by teleSC

Immediately.

I usually add Prime to the tank (for the entire tank volume), and then add tap water directly to the tank. :)

Immediately.

I usually add Prime to the tank (for the entire tank volume), and then add tap water directly to the tank. :)

Wouldn't this give the fish a gill full of prime ?

Don't add it where the fish is/are. Yes, there will be a very high concentration before adding more water, but it's absolutely safe. :)

Don't add it where the fish is/are. Yes, there will be a very high concentration before adding more water, but it's absolutely safe. :)

Thanks , just wanted that made clear :)

I usually wait until the water from the hose starts getting into the tank, and then add the dose for the full tank right into the stream of tap water to ensure it gets diluted and distributed instantly. Worked like a charm for years :D

I agree. Prime is safe to up to a 4x dose. The main "danger" - if I remember right - of Prime is that it reduces the oxygen content in the water. That is why for high temperature tanks of 86F or over, the instructions say to use only half a dose, since warm water like this already is not as high in dissolved oxygen as cold water.

But considered that we add Prime while a big splash of water enters the tank and oxygenates it, it is fine even if the fish are overdosed for a few minutes, because the splashing fresh water ensures that there is enough dissolved oxygen available for hte fish.

I am so glad that I have found this forum! I just recently got back into goldfish but I've had a freshwater tropical aquarium for years. I've always wondered about the Prime and water change question. Like many have said on here I would just get the water going from the hose and add the prime directly to the tank. It seems to work just fine. But I've always had a little guilt about it. Now I know that I'm not alone and I'm not breaking any big water change rules!