Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

Acidophilus

I am going to pick up some acidophilus this weekend to add into the Repashy food, is this a good idea?

How much is too much? Is it better to go with millions count or billions count?

Also I mix up a tablespoon (dry) of repashy at a time so it stays fresh, should I put a whole capsules contents in that or again would that be too much? Is there such a thing as too much acidophilus, I don't even know.

As a side note, I am very happy so far mixing my soilent green and super green half and half. It seems to be just enough greens that none of them are constipated anymore (even Bing who has terrible issues with this) and their poop looks good. ha ha I know everyone was dying to read that lol.

Edited by cmclien

There is such a thing as too much acidophilus, just like there is such a thing as too much Jumpstart lol.

I've used acidophilus before, but I'm not sure that it was the right probiotic for fish. I ended with a different one that uses a combination of several different probiotics, and even then I don't know it was appropriate for fish. It was the best I could do, though. The dosage is 10 million cells per gram of food.

Unlike other things, probiotics WILL be killed by heat, so you have to be careful about not mixing it in boiling water.

Edit: I'm glad your Repashy experimentation. I just want to say that the super green is exactly the soilent green, minus the animal portions of the SG formula. So, I don't think it's more greens that is helping you, but a bit less proteins.

So you don't use acidophilus then on a regular basis?

On Repashy, thats interesting, I thought they replaced the animal proteins with green proteins for a higher vegetable matter in the super green? There is less protein in super green but I can't tell what has gone up instead as the fat and fiber are the same. Better then all one though. Got constipated with soilent alone and got floaty with super alone but so far, only been a few days, everyone is looking better on the combo, both the floater and the sinker/constipated one.

Edited by cmclien

Not anymore. I did when I made my own gel food.

I use a probiotic multivitamin when making my gel food, which has all the usual vitamins and minerals plus lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacterium bifidum and bifidobacterium lactis - though I must admit I don't really know what particular benefits they are supposed to bring lol! There's supposed to be 2 billion in each capsule, and (off the top of my head.. I think..) 1.5 capsules per batch of gel food (makes about 400g of food).

I don't know how much difference probiotics have made to my fish's health, it's difficult to quantify. But, *touch wood* they have been going pretty good lately :)