Thinking about trying some different food...

Jolly

Hello everyone. I have a black moor (slightly under 1 inch long) and a orange fantail (about 1 inch long). I have been buying frozen cubed food from my LFS to feed them and also supplementing with blood worms on occasion and peas every now and then as well. I have heard such good things about Pro-Gold and would like to try it, but I am wondering how much work it is to feed it to them (do I need a scale? Other food to mix it in?). I also keep hearing about Solient Green (Repashy?) and am considering getting both. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice? I also want to make sure I am feeding them enough food each day.

I used to feed my fish the frozen food from the pet store too. It was ok, but I still had some floaty problems. After my moor had dropsy, I switched both of my guys to Repashy. I love it! Its so easy to make and feed them :). Since then I haven't had any floaty or sinking problems :D! I haven't used Pro-gold personally but I've heard of feeding them about 1% of their body weight, but I'm not totally sure on that. With feeding repasy, Alex told me to feed them about three mouthfuls three times a day, but I know other members have just put cubes in there for the fish to graze on. I didn't have much luck with that one. My fish just kept trying to eat it whole lol!

If you do go for the pro-gold, it might be a good idea to pick up a scale (I had to do that when my fish were on medicated food) but some folks might have figured out a better way :)

I hope that helped some :D

Hi Holly,

Glad to see you posting! :)

Both Repashy soilent green and Pro-Gold are excellent foods. If you can get both, fantastic! If not, one or the other would be well to start. :)

Hi,

We have fed our fish Pro Gold for nearly a year - supplemented generously with kitchen scraps - and have been very happy with how he has filled out and how his colors have developed.

A week ago, we received our SG from our sponsor Tasty Worms and have begun Newton on Repashy Soilent Green. It was very easy to overfeed since, as noted above, the fish really just gobbled up the cubes. Our fish initially became constipated and a bit out of sorts (floaty). The last few days, we have alternated SG with the Pro Gold (we still have a lot left) and some veggie scraps. All constipation has resolved (nice way of saying 'he poops up a storm') and we think we will continue this schedule for a while.

I had my fish on Pro-gold for a long while and saw some amazing growth on that food, and it's much easier to work with than RSG sometimes. I'm sure that there are people here that could calculate how much you need to feed, but this goes for any food and not just Pro-gold.

Just before I got my second fish I switched over to Repashy Soilent Green and have been hooked on it ever since. It does cause a yellow tint on white fish because of all the good greens inside, but my fish have seemed to be the healthiest they've ever been on RSG. I'm seeing more bulking up and fin growth, as well as deeper colors on everyone including my black moor.

If you still can't decide at the end, feeding both is also a fun thing. For a bit I actually crushed up the Pro-gold and mixed it into my Repashy before it solidified. The only reason I stopped that was when my Pro-gold expired. (I should probably buy more!)

Repashy SG seems to give huge fin growth with my comet mutt fish and no floatie problems with my problem fishy.

I have never bought pro gold, but I have heard a lot of good about it.

Alternating both foods or only feeding one of them should not cause any problems

Keep in mind that overfeeding can still happen as gf eat everything.

Many people think Pro-Gold is, well, the gold standard in pellets, so I recently tried to switch to it. However, I was very disappointed that it made several of my fish floaty. Perhaps it would be good for your fish, but I wouldn't have gotten it if so many people here hadn't raved about it.

Any fish could have a poor reaction to any food, I believe. My point isn't to dis Pro-Gold but to say that, whatever you get, start small and see how it goes. :)

Wow! Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the advice. The only way to get the Repashy SG is from the website (Tastyworms I think?)? I am hesitant to order either since they cost a lot more than the food I'm currently buying, but I do want them to have a healthy diet. How do you make the Solient Green? Is it fairly easy? I do like the convenience of grabbing a frozen cube out of the freezer. :) Also, about how long does an order of it last?

So far (knock on wood), neither fish has any floaty problems. I think this is partially due to the fact that since I rescued them from whatever they were being fed at the LFS, they have never had normal goldfish flakes or pellets. I have tried to feed them fresh food when possible and the frozen cubes/bloodworms the rest of the time. We did find these little "Tank Nibblers" that I thought were awesome because they stick to the side of the tank underwater so it kept mine from gulping air so much at the surface. I haven't been able to find them at the store recently though and I'm not sure they are made with very healthy things anyway.

Thanks so much for the help! The fish are appreciative too since they are always "hungry". ;)

I used to feed my fish the frozen food from the pet store too. It was ok, but I still had some floaty problems. After my moor had dropsy, I switched both of my guys to Repashy. I love it! Its so easy to make and feed them :). Since then I haven't had any floaty or sinking problems :D! I haven't used Pro-gold personally but I've heard of feeding them about 1% of their body weight, but I'm not totally sure on that. With feeding repasy, Alex told me to feed them about three mouthfuls three times a day, but I know other members have just put cubes in there for the fish to graze on. I didn't have much luck with that one. My fish just kept trying to eat it whole lol!

If you do go for the pro-gold, it might be a good idea to pick up a scale (I had to do that when my fish were on medicated food) but some folks might have figured out a better way :)

My fish would definitely gobble up anything I put in the tank, so I would have to measure it out. :) They try to eat my hands when I'm cleaning the tank. Lol.

I am not a big fan of freeze dried food soaked or not :(

But I do LOVE the Repashy and highly recommend it :) as well as frozen blood worms and the hikari saki :)

Where did you find the Hikari saki? I keep seeing posts about it as well, but I can't ever find it to order it. Is it a pellet food?

Thanks! :) I am thinking a scale would be a good thing to have just in case. Your moor is beautiful by the way. I like the name Bubble too. Mine is P-body. :)

I am using Pro-gold and I love it. Haven't really noticed any significant growth since I look at them everyday, so I don't see any difference. But I definitely haven't seen any floatiness in all of my fish. I've been feeding them frozen blood worms lately and they love it. My fish diets are: Progold twice a day, everyday. Veggie: about twice a week. And frozen blood worm every other day. Pro-gold is just like any other pellet, so it is very easy to feed too. You don't need to weigh them exactly, just need to estimate how much food your fish will eat in 2-3 minutes, so that's normally a pinch. Good luck!

I am using Pro-gold and I love it. Haven't really noticed any significant growth since I look at them everyday, so I don't see any difference. But I definitely haven't seen any floatiness in all of my fish. I've been feeding them frozen blood worms lately and they love it. My fish diets are: Progold twice a day, everyday. Veggie: about twice a week. And frozen blood worm every other day. Pro-gold is just like any other pellet, so it is very easy to feed too. You don't need to weigh them exactly, just need to estimate how much food your fish will eat in 2-3 minutes, so that's normally a pinch. Good luck!

Thanks! :) That schedule seems doable. I think my fish are a bit younger, so I'm not sure I could feed them that much yet (I'll post a video so you guys can help me judge and weigh if I can get a scale soon), but I may be wrong. :) Mine love the blood worms too. The frozen cubes of them gross me out a bit but they gobble them right up. :) I didn't see much growth in mine either until I looked at a video I posted when I first bought them on here. They are much bigger. :)

My fish would definitely gobble up anything I put in the tank, so I would have to measure it out. :) They try to eat my hands when I'm cleaning the tank. Lol.

I am not a big fan of freeze dried food soaked or not :(

But I do LOVE the Repashy and highly recommend it :) as well as frozen blood worms and the hikari saki :)

Where did you find the Hikari saki? I keep seeing posts about it as well, but I can't ever find it to order it. Is it a pellet food?

Tasty worms usually has it. There's a link on the main page of the forum on the right side. It's where most of us get Repashy and Prazi, among other things.

I feed a mix of progold and soilent green - this has worked well for my fish. But like Shawn pointed out, finding a food that is best for your fish can take some trial and error sometimes. I think progold and repashy are great starting points though :)

I also do repasy SG + Pro Gold pellets. Usually two meals of the first, and one meal of the second. Always soak your pellets before you feed your fish. That completely solved my "floating after Pro-Gold" issue

I really like SG and Pro-Gold seeing the effects it had on other people's fish, but I don't have it. I'm feeding Hikari Oranda Gold, but Saki Hikari is better than Oranda Gold. :)

Wow! Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the advice. The only way to get the Repashy SG is from the website (Tastyworms I think?)? I am hesitant to order either since they cost a lot more than the food I'm currently buying, but I do want them to have a healthy diet. How do you make the Solient Green? Is it fairly easy? I do like the convenience of grabbing a frozen cube out of the freezer. :) Also, about how long does an order of it last?

Thanks so much for the help! The fish are appreciative too since they are always "hungry". ;)

Sure thing! I try to go through Tastyworms when I can since they sponsor Kokos, but I'm sure you can google it too :). The food does cost a bit more but I think it's totally worth it! The food packet usually makes quite a bit of food and it lasts about 6 months frozen. Its super easy to make too. There are instructions on the package but it really just involves putting the powdered food in a container, adding water (and stirring until combined!), and throwing it in the microwave for a bit. Not long, just like a minute or so. But yes, super easy!

I bought an order of it a few months ago (back in November) and I still have some from the first batch :D. I found it lasts quite some time, especially if you give them some variety of fresh foods :). They don't take too long to thaw either, which is good for me since I always forget until the last minute lol.

I hope this helped some!

Sure thing! I try to go through Tastyworms when I can since they sponsor Kokos, but I'm sure you can google it too :). The food does cost a bit more but I think it's totally worth it! The food packet usually makes quite a bit of food and it lasts about 6 months frozen. Its super easy to make too. There are instructions on the package but it really just involves putting the powdered food in a container, adding water (and stirring until combined!), and throwing it in the microwave for a bit. Not long, just like a minute or so. But yes, super easy!

I bought an order of it a few months ago (back in November) and I still have some from the first batch :D. I found it lasts quite some time, especially if you give them some variety of fresh foods :). They don't take too long to thaw either, which is good for me since I always forget until the last minute lol.

I hope this helped some!

Yes! Very helpful! :) I was hoping it would last for a while if we froze it. Thanks! :)

Another quick question...pretty sure since I typed "my fish haven't had any floaty trouble yet", that set me up to have some. I noticed my black moor hanging out near the top a lot this morning and she seems to be having trouble staying down. They do tend to gulp air a bit after they eat usually and it was worse than usual yesterday. I might try a quick water change this afternoon and see if that helps. Any thoughts on what kind of food might help? I was thinking peas. I also have some fresh spinach I could try and I wouldn't mind running out to grab something. I am probably going to order the solient green food this evening...waiting on money. :( Any advice would be appreciated. :)

• Admin

Another quick question...pretty sure since I typed "my fish haven't had any floaty trouble yet", that set me up to have some. I noticed my black moor hanging out near the top a lot this morning and she seems to be having trouble staying down. They do tend to gulp air a bit after they eat usually and it was worse than usual yesterday. I might try a quick water change this afternoon and see if that helps. Any thoughts on what kind of food might help? I was thinking peas. I also have some fresh spinach I could try and I wouldn't mind running out to grab something. I am probably going to order the solient green food this evening...waiting on money. :( Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Best thing to do, Fast your fish for a day or two then feed either peas or a couple of green beans. :)

Thanks! Should I also fast the other fish who is not having problems for a day just in case? Also, if I do green beans, are canned green beans (cooked first) cut into tiny pieces ok?