Anyone want baby lionchus?

number20121

Because after Banana and Bullet went at it again this morning, I found 10 eggs that had not been devoured since this morning.

Unlike with the first three times, I am quite positive that some of these eggs may be fertilized. While the first batches mostly consisted of eggs that were incredibly fragile (ie shells popping at the slightest touch), these eggs are very strong. I was able to carefully just "pinch" them between thumb and fingers and pull them off the anubias.

They also have not turned white within a couple hours like the previous ones, but are still clear. The eggs are now about 6-7 hours old.

Sooo... even though I can't say for sure if I will have little ones, I want to throw it out there right now that if these guys make it through, I will be needing some good homes for them. I'd be giving them away for free to Koko's members, you'd just have to pay shipping or we'd split shipping 50/50. I'd rather pay $ 25 for half the shipping cost and know a fish goes to a good home than donating them to the nearest LFS that takes fish in - which would be Fintastic, aka The Cesspool.

Of course CL will be an option too, but Koko's comes first.

Just saying. Maybe they all turn out not to be fertilized again, and I'll definitely be keeping one myself (probably the guy that hatched already, because I am sentimental like that), but from the rest, you guys could choose. First come, first served of course.

And as a reminder: info and photos of the parents, just to get a rough guess of what the little ones may look like. Both came from the same Petsmart (one that takes excellent care of their fish)

Mommy, 2.5 year old (wenless) lionhead with the cutest nasal bouquets, never been sick, no buoyancy issues ever

Banana01-1.jpg

Daddy, 9 months old (wenless) ranchu, never been sick, slight floating when eating processed foods

100_8305.jpg

So I think the chances are good that they will be orange, wenless lionchus :lol

But who knows. :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I wish I could have one :)

One day I will win the lottery and adopt all the fishies that need homes :P and I'll employ lots of Koko memebers to look after them all day long

Thanks! Now let's just hope I didn't jinx myself. I saw a few more eggs inside the tank that I missed (on the bottom of the bubble wand) but they are turning white. The eggs in my container are still clear-ish, but as said, who knows. I'd be amazed if Bullet actually aimed right this time :lol

Oh gosh I want one so badly! I'm afraid my fantail might think it would be a swimming snack though :(. I've always wanted a lionhead, but I've always been scared of wen trimming :yikes ... Maybe I can talk my bf into letting my put him in a 20 gallon until his not so bite sized...

Oh gosh I want one so badly! I'm afraid my fantail might think it would be a swimming snack though :(. I've always wanted a lionhead, but I've always been scared of wen trimming :yikes ... Maybe I can talk my bf into letting my put him in a 20 gallon until his not so bite sized...

some people have never trimmed there fishes wens , it's only if they have overboard wen growth

some people have never trimmed there fishes wens , it's only if they have overboard wen growth

Oh wow! Does that just depend of genetics of the fish? That's been one of my main fears. I'd feel bad if the fish went blind because of the wen :(

congrats on the new eggs!!! that is exciting :clapping:

don't you mean Egg-citing?

wat chu talkin' about, Fang? :rofl

(Get it? iPunny! :rofl)

I see what you guys did there :lol2

Oh wow! Does that just depend of genetics of the fish? That's been one of my main fears. I'd feel bad if the fish went blind because of the wen :(

Yep, both the parents of mine, as you see, have basically no wen. I wouldn't doubt that if they finally get really lucky with babies, most of them will never grow much of a wen either.

If this were happening a few more months in the future I'd say I'd love one! Unfortunately I won't have room to take on another goldfish until spring at the earliest. Good luck with them though! Keep us updated!

YES!

I have just enough room for another goldie and I'd LOVE a Lionchu!

I've got a ten gallon QT set up and running for plant growth, so you can send them whenever you feel comfortable, and pleeenty of Repashy and blood worms to get him big and strong before he joins the other two in the 55.

Edited by Evening

YES!

I have just enough room for another goldie and I'd LOVE a Lionchu!

I've got a ten gallon QT set up and running for plant growth, so you can send them whenever you feel comfortable, and pleeenty of Repashy and blood worms to get him big and strong before he joins the other two in the 55.

Sounds great! You'll definitely on my list then. Sounds like a good setup for the fish. Now let's just hope we actually have something to send out. :D

Alright, quick update on the ten eggs: After about 18 hours now, all but one egg turned white again, but this one egg now seems to have eyes.

I really think little Bullet needs to go get his boy parts checked :rofl

Well I guess I'll be setting up another betta cup for now. Good thing is that my six betta girls all will go into the big tank tomorrow, and then I will have a total of 8 cups available. That will make things even easier :D