How long has it been since you cleaned your filters?

cmclien

It had been two months for me since I took mine apart and cleaned them. I have to admit I was shocked by the amount of gunk that accumulates in two months. I was also surprised how much faster the water runs through now that there is nothing impeding the flow. I do clean my intakes more frequently then that. I guess I need to put this on the calendar to do it since its such a fun task :P

not often enough, that's for sure. I rinsed out both my hobs about a week ago and it was disgusting. I rinsed out one of them again last night because there was organic matter coming out of it and it was still disgusting..be sure to wear rubber gloves :) Im going to start rinsing them out once a week from now on and when my canister arrives i'll probably clean it once a month like alex .

I had a lot of organic stuff at the bottom of mine too. I definitely wore gloves,then I had to disinfect the sink and counter cuz I made a mess cleaning them.

I rinse my filter media weekly but guess I should be rinsing out the hob's more often. At least nothing live came out!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

HOBs - some only 5 days, some 10 days.

Canisters - one month. They are due for cleaning today.

I'm impressed! But of course not surprised.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by cmclien

When I had a HOB I cleaned it every water change. Since I did do it so often, most of the parts just needed a swishing. I would clean more intensely as needed.

Now I have two canisters, and I clean one of them every other water change. Since my water changes are about a week apart, each one gets cleaned about every four weeks.

I did the exact same as Courtney. :)

I used to clean my HOB's every water change or every other water change. This was just a light rinsing, and they never really accumulated that much gunk inside.

I've always cleaned my canister once a month, and now that I replaced my HOB's with another canister, I will be cleaning one of them every two weeks. So they will each be cleaned once a month. :)

I have internal filters (is that the same as HOB?), and give them a rinsing/swishing every week with my water change. They don't get too gunky in that time of course, but you can still notice the difference in flow rate after lol!