Ill Or Just Sleepy?

Guest sazzyc

Guest sazzyc

hello everyone

i posted about 1 month ago as my fish was not well (shark he is only fish i have)

he seems much happier now but i wanted to know he now hides behind the plant in our bio orb and dont move at all, im thinking is he sleeping? he does have a swim round most of the time hes fins are up apart from when he is hiding, is it because he feels safe there?

im so confused, it may be a stupid question but im worried.

thankyou in advance for any replys.

sazzyc :huh:

i think he hides behind the plant because he is timid. i would suggest hand feeding for a while to boost his confidence. it may take a while though. then have a look and see if he is getting any larger in the belly department. one reason for sitting on the bottom is that a female is reabsorbing her eggs. that might be a cause. im sure there are other causes like water quality that could make him sit on the bottom. what are your ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? bio orbs are fish bowls arent they? bowls dont have sufficient amount of surface area for gas exchange so i would suggest a 10 gal tank or so. he may not be getting enough oxygen.

tank vs bowl

dont be tempted to shove the bio orb to the back of the cupboard though, they are ideal for a betta as they breath air as well and when kept in a warm room dont need heaters.

info on bettas (just in case youre interested!)

Guest sazzyc

hi and thnaks for your reply,

i dont think shark is pregnant as he floats near middle of plant with fins clamped down now dont look good, we changed the water and he seemed happy for a bit.

im losing faith

i did check out your link and i am intrested they look great, would not know where to get them tho.

again thanks

sazzyc :(

Are the water params good? When you change water, do you use

a dechlorinator and temp matched water?

I've found for shy fish, to feed and then just sit in front of the tank.

That way they get used to the fact that this big object provides food.

Try to avoid any sudden jerky movements that may startle him. :)

SazzyC, Blinky and PM are bang on in suspecting your water quality. If you don't have test kits, most pet shops will test the water for you if you bring them a sample. Get actual numbers, don't just let them tell you whether or not it's "okay". Many pet store employees have a funny (meaning wrong) idea of what is "okay".

There are other things it could be, but before you do anything else, you'll want to be sure the water quality is great, so get that checked first.

Keep us posted.

Archived