First tank, fishless cycle

Went ahead and changed 30 percent of the water

What are your numbers now... Sorry I was busy with other stuff... :(

but general rule dont do a water change unless your nitrites are 2 and above or your nitrates are 60 and above hun :)

Eep!! I thought because my nitrite was at 6 I needed to do w water change? Hope I haven't stuffed anything up.

Current results:

Ammonia: 1

Nitrite: 5

Nitrate: trace

My fault hun. I read you wrong :(

Okay lets do a 50% water change and ammonia back to 2ppm :)

You where right... :)

Ok thanks for all your help koko :) :) water change done will post new results soon. Icky fish food baggie is still hanging in my tank.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say I love reading this thread. It's a perfect step by step. =) Good luck with the rest of your cycle and your plants and fish to come!

Thankyou :) starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. While I was waiting for anything to happen I really enjoyed reading Danielle's cycle log and thought I would do something similar.

Results this morning:

Ammonia: .25 - .5

Nitrite: high again 5

Nitrate: 5

OK we need to do a 30% water change again hun... then the ammonia :)

Sorry for the late reply, been hectic at work. Nitrites still getting crazy high every day and I've been doing water changes to get them down. Today is no exception:

Ammonia: 0-.25

Nitrite: Off the chart

Also my ph is dropping. It went from 7.4 to 6.8 after a 50% water change. I added a tea spoon of baking soda to the tank yesterday which raised it back up to 7.4 but today is has already dropped back to 7.0. I have had a cup of crushed coral hanging in a nylon bag in my tank in front of the spray bar for maybe about two weeks now.

Edited by sweetpea92

Updated picture of my tank. Not keen on the blue light but I'm going to keep it until the bulb blows. Took the water lettuce out as it kept shedding it's roots and was annoying me.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/original3x.jpg/

• Admin

Results this morning:

Sorry for the late reply, been hectic at work. Nitrites still getting crazy high every day and I've been doing water changes to get them down. Today is no exception:

Also my ph is dropping. It went from 7.4 to 6.8 after a 50% water change. I added a tea spoon of baking soda to the tank yesterday which raised it back up to 7.4 but today is has already dropped back to 7.0. I have had a cup of crushed coral hanging in a nylon bag in my tank in front of the spray bar for maybe about two weeks now.

Ok first lets see if you can get that Cushed coral in the filter.. Second can you get like Seachems Goldbuffer.. I think we need some...

Also do another 50% water change and add double the amount of baking soda for now and ammonia to .5 :)

Results this morning:

Ok first lets see if you can get that Cushed coral in the filter.. Second can you get like Seachems Goldbuffer.. I think we need some...

Also do another 50% water change and add double the amount of baking soda for now and ammonia to .5 :)

Ok I will order some. :) Water change done, I added another teaspoon of bicarb. Will try to put coral in filter next water change, I've been meaning to but I'm a bit apprehensive about opening the canister filter :/ That thing looks scary.

• Admin

Results this morning:

Ok I will order some. :) Water change done, I added another teaspoon of bicarb. Will try to put coral in filter next water change, I've been meaning to but I'm a bit apprehensive about opening the canister filter :/ That thing looks scary.

I hear you on that one.. I had one years ago and they just scare me :lol3

Just finished a 50% water change as nitrites were up at 5-6 again. Trace nitrates. Why is the nitrite taking so much longer to go down than the ammonia? Is it because my ph is fluctuating? The gold buffer has shipped so hopefully I should get it soon. I think today marks six weeks of fishless cycling. Also I'm getting some brown algae on the bottom of my tank, am I right to scrub it off or should I not touch anything until tank cycles?

• Admin

Just finished a 50% water change as nitrites were up at 5-6 again. Trace nitrates. Why is the nitrite taking so much longer to go down than the ammonia? Is it because my ph is fluctuating? The gold buffer has shipped so hopefully I should get it soon. I think today marks six weeks of fishless cycling. Also I'm getting some brown algae on the bottom of my tank, am I right to scrub it off or should I not touch anything until tank cycles?

yup the ph is effecting your tank hun.. Dont worry time will mend it :)

Go ahead and wipe the algae off :)

hanks Koko :) my gold buffer came in the mail, I was jut wondering how much I should add and how often? My tank ph is currently 7.4 due to bicarb but will drop again tomorrow. My tap kh is 1 drop and my tap gh was 2 and about 7.0 ph. The packet says I should add 1 teaspoon daily until desired ph is reached and use for every 10 gallons but use half dose if water is not buffered. Should I add any now of wait until tomorrow when I will porbaby do another water change? Sorry for overload of questions, this kh, gh stuff does my head in.

• Admin

hanks Koko :) my gold buffer came in the mail, I was jut wondering how much I should add and how often? My tank ph is currently 7.4 due to bicarb but will drop again tomorrow. My tap kh is 1 drop and my tap gh was 2 and about 7.0 ph. The packet says I should add 1 teaspoon daily until desired ph is reached and use for every 10 gallons but use half dose if water is not buffered. Should I add any now of wait until tomorrow when I will porbaby do another water change? Sorry for overload of questions, this kh, gh stuff does my head in.

That sounds like a good plan... Or you can get a gallon jug, with an air stone... place the buffer in it...and then let it brew 24 hours and test it :)

Nitrites still getting crazy high :( Just finished another water change. Off the chart everyday. Starting to get a bit disheartened... Sucks doing water changes every day when there's no fish in the tank. On another note, gold buffer is helping the ph immensely, staying at about 7.4-7.5.

• Admin

Nitrites still getting crazy high :( Just finished another water change. Off the chart everyday. Starting to get a bit disheartened... Sucks doing water changes every day when there's no fish in the tank. On another note, gold buffer is helping the ph immensely, staying at about 7.4-7.5.

Ok lets do a 80% water change, then do a test for me :)

Ok water change done,

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: Down to .25

ph: 7.5

I am about to leave to visit my family for my mums birthday, I will be gone for a day maybe two. There is still a small bag of fish food hanging in the tank.

Edited by sweetpea92

• Admin

Ok water change done,

Nitrite: Down to .25

I am about to leave to visit my family for my mums birthday, I will be gone for a day maybe two. There is still a small bag of fish food hanging in the tank.

ok report back when you can :)

Ok tested water again.

Nitrite: .25

Nitrate: 10

This looks good yes? Hopefully the nitrite doesn't increase and continues to decrease. I won't do a water change and will report back tomorrow.

• Admin

Ok tested water again.

This looks good yes? Hopefully the nitrite doesn't increase and continues to decrease. I won't do a water change and will report back tomorrow.

Ok :thumb:

Ok tested water again.

Nitrite: .25 (it did go up to .5 but then went back down)

Nitrate: 20

Been almost a week since I last did a water change. Go away nitrites pah.

Ok :thumb: