First tank, fishless cycle

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25C is 77F, you can scooch up the heat a smidge if you want, sometimes the bacteria takes longer to grow at less temperatures. You can go all the way up to 80F (27C) :)

Ok, I might have a look around for a second hand one :)

Can you get a live plant or two?

That was my next question, :) I ordered some live plants and they came today. I was wondering if I am right to disinfect them and then add them to my tank even though the ammonia is so high?

• Admin

25C is 77F, you can scooch up the heat a smidge if you want, sometimes the bacteria takes longer to grow at less temperatures. You can go all the way up to 80F (27C) :)

That was my next question, :) I ordered some live plants and they came today. I was wondering if I am right to disinfect them and then add them to my tank even though the ammonia is so high?

What kind are they?

What kind are they?

A few Anubias and Java fern

• Admin

What kind are they?

A few Anubias and Java fern

Go for it. :thumb:

• Admin

Still no change, is it normal that it's taking so long for anything to happen? :no:

Unfortunately I'm a bit broke at the mo and a heater may have to wait for a little while.

Sometimes it can hun... and lower temps makes it longer :(

What is the numbers today?

Still no change, is it normal that it's taking so long for anything to happen? :no:

Unfortunately I'm a bit broke at the mo and a heater may have to wait for a little while.

Sometimes it can hun... and lower temps makes it longer :(

What is the numbers today?

Numbers today are:

ph: 7.4-7.5 (I got my hands on some crushed coral that I have added to my tank so we'll see if it raises my kh)

kh: same

gh: same

Ammonia: 4

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

I think I'm just going to leave it alone for a week and then see where it is. When ever I see I pet shop I go in and just stare at the goldfish longingly..

Hello, I have bought a small bottle of nutrafin cycle. I was wondering if I can add this to the tank? I know it might not do anything.. The only thing is I remember reading somewhere online that can be unecessary to add things like this because it may be a different type of bacteria and to maintain the cycle I would need to keep adding it long term. Just after some opinions before I add anything :) thank you

You should be able to get Seachem's Stability in Australia, they are also the ones who make Prime. It's a great product in my opinion and what I used to cycle my tank, it even tells you how :) Though it can take longer than it says and I also added a bit of pellet food when cycling mine.

• Admin

Ammonia: 4 (maybe a little lower)

Nitrite: .25 !!!!!!!!! There is definite purple.

Ph: same 7.4

Ok This is awesome news...

Let it brew and let me know in 24-48 hours :)

As of today:

Ammonia: 3ish still pretty dark

Nitrite: 2

I've also added three small water lettuce to the tank

Edited by sweetpea92

You should be able to get Seachem's Stability in Australia, they are also the ones who make Prime. It's a great product in my opinion and what I used to cycle my tank, it even tells you how :) Though it can take longer than it says and I also added a bit of pellet food when cycling mine.

Thanks for the info! :) I ended up dumping the nutrafin cycle in my tank so we'll see how I go haha

• Admin

As of today:

Ok let it brew some more... we want to get that ammonia down to 0 but, we dont want the nitrites to hit 5 :)

So report when you can :)

As of today:

Ok let it brew some more... we want to get that ammonia down to 0 but, we dont want the nitrites to hit 5 :)

So report when you can :)

Hi koko,

Today:

Ammonia: 2-3

Nitrite: 6?

Do I need to do a water change to bring the nitrite down? :)

Yup do a 50% change and redose the ammonia if it's under 1 :)

:bingo:

Thanks guys! :) Water change done, will post with the test results soon. I can't really redose with ammonia as I'm using fish food, so I tied another nylon fish food bag to the tank and I'll take it out when it hits 1.

• Admin

Went ahead and changed 30 percent of the water

What are your numbers now... Sorry I was busy with other stuff... :(

but general rule dont do a water change unless your nitrites are 2 and above or your nitrates are 60 and above hun :)

but general rule dont do a water change unless your nitrites are 2 and above or your nitrates are 60 and above hun :)

Eep!! I thought because my nitrite was at 6 I needed to do w water change? Hope I haven't stuffed anything up.

Current results:

Ammonia: 1

Nitrite: 5

Nitrate: trace

• Admin

Eep!! I thought because my nitrite was at 6 I needed to do w water change? Hope I haven't stuffed anything up.

Current results:

Ammonia: 1

Nitrite: 5

Nitrate: trace

My fault hun. I read you wrong :(

Okay lets do a 50% water change and ammonia back to 2ppm :)

You where right... :)