First tank, fishless cycle

Hi everyone, sorry to make another thread, but I really am a noob and need all the help I can get :P. I have set up my canister filter on my fish tank, (feeling proud of myself for working that one out) and I suppose I'm ready to begin cycling. I will be using fish food as I can't seem to find ammonia anywhere (in Australia). I have the master test kit. My main question is, how much will I need to feed the tank every day? Can I just use a cheap fish flake food for this? I read that you can put the food tied up in a nylon stocking in the tank so that it doesn't make a mess. Help is much appreciated, open to advice :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use cheap flake food. Or you can even use a shrimp tied to a string :)

Thankyou! I have added some fish food to a nylon stocking and hung it from the top of my tank. It already smells gross. Bleh. Also I retested the ph of the tank today it has already dropped from the 7.5 that came out of my tap to about 6.5 in the space of 24 hours. Will this be an issue and if so what can I do to fix it?

My tap water does something very like that. I use a buffer to keep the pH from falling after a water change. A popular one around here is Seachem Gold Buffer, but there are many products out there. I'm not sure what all is available to you.

My tap water does something very like that. I use a buffer to keep the pH from falling after a water change. A popular one around here is Seachem Gold Buffer, but there are many products out there. I'm not sure what all is available to you.

Thanks! I think I might need to do a bit more research on this while my tank is cycling.

Also this is for my own logging purposes really, but my ammonia is up to 1.0ppm. Woohoo! :)

Your pH will need to be stable or you will have a harder time growing bacteria. Do you have carbon in your filters?

I suggest using crushed coral to help raise your pH.

For future reference can you answer these questions?

tap: pH

ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

kh

GH

tank: pH

ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

KH

GH

size of tank

temperature

type of media in filters

is there plants?

is there substrate?

Thank you very much and I look forward to seeing your cycled tank and beautiful fishies :D

Your pH will need to be stable or you will have a harder time growing bacteria. Do you have carbon in your filters?

I suggest using crushed coral to help raise your pH.

For future reference can you answer these questions?

tap: pH

ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

kh

GH

tank: pH

ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

KH

GH

size of tank

temperature

type of media in filters

is there plants?

is there substrate?

Thank you very much and I look forward to seeing your cycled tank and beautiful fishies :D

Hello! I have the gh/kh API test kit on order so hopefully it will come soon. My tank is 120 liters with a canister filter that runs 1400 liters per hour. I have a bubble wand running too. I have been a doing a bit of research and typically Melbourne water has a very low gh of 2-3 and kh of 0-1 but I will be able to test mine in a couple of days. My tank is barebottom but has a some white river rocks spaced out, that I bought from a $2 store. No plants. In my canister is some wool wadding, sponges, bio balls and ceramic media.

Tap water:

pH: 7.0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Gh/kh still to come

Tank water: (tank has been running for about a week)

pH: 7.4-7.5

Ammonia: 2.0

Nitrite: 0

Temp: 22 degrees (about 71f I think)

I am using fish food tied in a nylon stocking to raise ammonia. Thanks for your help much appreciated!! I was doing ok until I got to pH and now I'm all confused :P let me know if there's any other info you need :) I would really like to get the pH sorted before I add any fish.

Hi thank you so much for answering my questions :D Your pH in your tank seems to be rising already. We just need to make sure it stays stable. Is there anyway you could put an air stone in a bucket overnight? Test the pH at the start and in the morning. I want to see if there is a big change or not.

With pH increasing products like buffers and crushed coral. They help with pH decreasing.

Hi thank you so much for answering my questions :D Your pH in your tank seems to be rising already. We just need to make sure it stays stable. Is there anyway you could put an air stone in a bucket overnight? Test the pH at the start and in the morning. I want to see if there is a big change or not.

With pH increasing products like buffers and crushed coral. They help with pH decreasing.

No prob, I will do that tonight and let you know :). I was a bit confused too as to why my pH was going up..

It happens sometimes as water companies was compress gas in their water. As the co2 leaves the pH rises. Adding a bubbler to the water simply speeds the process and lets us confirm this :)

It happens sometimes as water companies was compress gas in their water. As the co2 leaves the pH rises. Adding a bubbler to the water simply speeds the process and lets us confirm this :)

Ahh they don't make it easy do they? :)

Alrighty, so the pH in the bubbling bucket is still the same at 7.0 maybe a tiny bit lower.

I also added some of the rocks that are in my tank to another bucket and left that one overnight and the pH is stil the same at 7.0 maybe a tad lower

pH of my tank as of today is around 7.4 definitely more blue than the others.

Is it possible that perhaps the rotting food in my tank is raising the pH? I thought that with a low gh and kh my pH would be dropping? Thanks for all your help

Edited by sweetpea92

No rotting food will not raise the pH.

Did you confirm the GH and KH with test kit of your own?

Right now since this is a fishless cycle it's not something to worry about yet. Just remember to not do any waterchanges over 50% when you have a pH difference of 0.4 or higher since that will shock the fish.

No rotting food will not raise the pH.

Did you confirm the GH and KH with test kit of your own?

Right now since this is a fishless cycle it's not something to worry about yet. Just remember to not do any waterchanges over 50% when you have a pH difference of 0.4 or higher since that will shock the fish.

Thanks so much for all your help bodoba! :D

Gh/kh test kit came this afternoon.

Tap water:

Kh: 1 drops, went light yellow straight away 2 degrees/ 35.8ppm

Gh: 2 drops, went light green straight away 2 degrees/ 35.8ppm

Tank water:

KH: 3 drops, 3 degrees, 53.7ppm

Gh: 3 drops, 3 degrees, 53.7ppm

I think maybe it's the rocks I added to the tank? Should I take them out? :/

As long as the pH in the tank is stable then it's ok. The more Gh and KH means the more stable the pH will be. For now, just keep testing your pH daily with your params and post them here. We can keep an eye on it that way :)

As long as the pH in the tank is stable then it's ok. The more Gh and KH means the more stable the pH will be. For now, just keep testing your pH daily with your params and post them here. We can keep an eye on it that way :)

Ok, thankyou :) as of today everything is unchanged.

Ph: 7.4

Ammonia: 4

Nitrie: 0

Everything is steady spaghetti in my tank, ho hum, waiting is hard bought myself some T5 aquarium lights, retail therapy helps.

Waiting is definitely the hard part but kudos to you for doing a fishless cycle!

You could always start thinking about adding some plants now - new plants are almost as good as new fish :D

You'll get some great plants growing with those lights :)

Hopefully :) I've ordered some anubias and java fern

Everything is steady spaghetti in my tank, ho hum, waiting is hard bought myself some T5 aquarium lights, retail therapy helps.

Waiting is definitely the hard part but kudos to you for doing a fishless cycle!

You could always start thinking about adding some plants now - new plants are almost as good as new fish :D

:) Thats the plan! As hard as it is to wait, cycling with fish looks much more difficult.. definitely happy to avoid that.