Sign in to follow this  
Andrea

Dropsy?

here is an article i wrote for you to read on Dropsy: http://www.kokosgold...dated-2012-r330

if the Vet will not prescribe metronidazole for any reason or is being difficult, i can supply 6 tablets with Express Post for $15 into my account. let me know.

if you need to be supplied by me, i will require you to email me: sparez@bigpond.net.au this email is purely for the exchange of Metro and money as well as postal details, all concerns regarding the condition of your fish will be discussed here :)

I may take you up on that offer, just in case I am unable to get it from the vets. I'll email you later tonight.

Can someone please explain how I would give it to Sunshine then?

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate all the help.

I may take you up on that offer, just in case I am unable to get it from the vets. I'll email you later tonight.

You would mix it in with a gel food (commercial or homemade) and feed it to Sunshine.

Edited by Sakura

You would mix it in with a gel food (commercial or homemade) and feed it to Sunshine.

How much food to how much medication? I see stakos said off body weight, but how would I even work that out :/

How much food to how much medication? I see stakos said off body weight, but how would I even work that out :/

I'm not sure offhand, but dnalex will help you figure that out if/when need be. :)

if you can prepare by weighing your fish on digital scales like so:

once we know the weight of your fish, we will be able to advise the correct dose and how to make the gelfood required that you will add the medicine to. it's super easy.. all you need are some fresh greens like zucchini, (frozen from supermarket) low soduim garden peas (coles home brand are the ones i use), fresh spinach etc...

then all you need is the binding agent such as gelatine.

all the veggies will be boiled or steamed, once cooled, then blended smooth. that's when you add the medicine and then the gelatine to bind :)

but lets see how we can get the meds first ;)

if you can prepare by weighing your fish on digital scales like so:

once we know the weight of your fish, we will be able to advise the correct dose and how to make the gelfood required that you will add the medicine to. it's super easy.. all you need are some fresh greens like zucchini, (frozen from supermarket) low soduim garden peas (coles home brand are the ones i use), fresh spinach etc...

then all you need is the binding agent such as gelatine.

all the veggies will be boiled or steamed, once cooled, then blended smooth. that's when you add the medicine and then the gelatine to bind :)

but lets see how we can get the meds first ;)

I wish my fish was that easy to pick up haha. They make it look so easy!

Actually I am going to give the vet a call tomorrow if Sunshine has not improved, so hold up on you having to post them. Sorry about changing my mind.

I don't own any digital scales like that so the vet may actually be able to weigh her.

that's ok hun.. we're here to help if wherever possible :) whatever is best suited to your situation is fine by everyone :)

Hopefully Sunshine shows some improvement in the morning and I won't have to call the vet. I may be seeing things, but I feel like one side is going down. There is a clear difference between both sides.

Hopefully Sunshine shows some improvement in the morning and I won't have to call the vet. I may be seeing things, but I feel like one side is going down. There is a clear difference between both sides.

would you be able to catch her into a tranparent bowl? using the bowl to catch her in and then slowly lift her to the surface and out? if you can do that, you can bring her to a bench/table and take a nice clear overhead photo so that we can see exactly how the swelling and pineconing is forming? that will give us some really good insight to her current conditions.

there would need to be good light for the photo.

would you be able to catch her into a tranparent bowl? using the bowl to catch her in and then slowly lift her to the surface and out? if you can do that, you can bring her to a bench/table and take a nice clear overhead photo so that we can see exactly how the swelling and pineconing is forming? that will give us some really good insight to her current conditions.

there would need to be good light for the photo.

Yes I can. I won't be able to do it till morning though. I've just put her back in the tank after her 5 hour bath and want to leave her alone for the night. I will definitely be able to do it just before her bath tomorrow though.

ok :) was it an epsom bath? what was the dose of Epsom to the volume of water?

No a enrotril as the vets instructions. I fed a epsom salt in a pea today, I don't know if that was the right thing to do, but Sunshine gobbled it up. I have not tried the epsom bath.

it's ok to feed a pea with epsom from time to time, but not as a regular.. so, you should be fine :)

i have no experience with enrotril, so i can't offer any advice, others will though :)

Just an update and a good one at that.

There is an obvious improvement in Sunshine today. The swelling on the left side is nearly gone and while the right side is still obvious, it has definitely gone down. I'm very happy but trying not to get my hopes up too high.

Once again it is very hot here and I'm trying very hard to keep the tank at stable yet cooler temp.

I'll do the 2 more days of treatment and call the vet on Monday if it not completely gone. I also fed another pea with a epsom salt in it.

I was wondering, do you think I should dose the whole tank in epsom salt? Is this harmful to my other fish or the tank system? As I don't have a big enough hospital tank (my 'hospital tank' is a 8L bucket which I only keep Sunshine in for 5 hours of the day).

I was also reading through the thread of the other person who is also currently experiencing dropsy and I see Stakos you recommended to get rid of all the gravel. I may think about doing this once Sunshine is all better. I've had a lot of trouble with gravel! Would this affect my cycle in anyway? As I know the bacteria lives in the gravel.

I'm very glad to hear that there is big improvement with Sunshine! :)

If you are already feeding the pea/Epsom, I don't think it is necessary to dose the tank with Epsom also.

Please continue to update us!

Thanks dnalex! I'm very glad I found this forum, I posted on a few other ones too as I was a bit frantic, and they were of no help.

Today was Sunshine's last day of treatment, the swelling is almost completely gone, but still there. I hope I am in the clear now, but I am going to ring the vet tomorrow and ask if they think I should do any more days of treatment. What do you guys think?

I still have a very happy fish who is always very happy to get back in his big tank. My other fish (Clementine) is always very happy to see her when they are reunited :)

I will continue with the epsom salt in the peas for a bit longer too I think.

I was also reading through the thread of the other person who is also currently experiencing dropsy and I see Stakos you recommended to get rid of all the gravel. I may think about doing this once Sunshine is all better. I've had a lot of trouble with gravel! Would this affect my cycle in anyway? As I know the bacteria lives in the gravel.

Glad Sunshine is starting to show improvement :)

Although the majority of your beneficial bacteria will live in your filter, there may be a small percentage on the gravel. To avoid cycle bumps you can remove the gravel over time, this gives the cycle the chance to replace the tiny amount you remove before you remove some more. This of course can take a few weeks as you take is out bit by bit. You can take it out all at once if you prefer but keep a very close eye on parameters and be prepared to do extra water changes where neccesary.

I'm glad he is better! :)

Definitely ring the vet. You are likely going to need to continue because symptoms have not all disappeared.

Thanks for the info Ninzah. I'm definitely still thinking about it as it is going to be a big job.

I did ring the vet and they said to continue treatment for another 5 days, not to go over 10 days though. It sucks but anything for my Sunshine.

I think that's about the right amount of time, for the med. If he is still pineconed, then I think you may need to consider metronidazole. For now, all is on track, and I'm really happy with this. :)

Sunshine is currently acting strange. Everything had been going fine, did the normal 5 hour treatment and she was absolutely fine. As I have been filling the bucket up from tank water, the tank had only been 70-90% full the past few days. I returned Sunshine to the tank and then proceeded to fill the tank back up to it's normal level. I did all this exactly how I would normally do, 2 hours later, I come into my room and Sunshine is on the bottom of the tank, just laying there.

I have no idea what it is, as everything has been going so well and the swelling is almost completely gone. It is barely even noticeable at all, yet now Sunshine has taken a turn for the worst.

I just fed them and she ate and swam around for a bit. But now has returned to the corner of the bottom of the tank :(

I don't want to lose her after all of this and such positives. I will test the water in a bit, I'm just not sure whether to do it yet as I normally wait 24 hours after a water change.

All I can thing is when I poured the water in, I upset the bottom of the tank and it's affected Sunshine. Maybe the stuff that started this all?

I'm not sure if you guys can help me, especially without the water results, I just thought I'd keep you updated. Might just do a water test now.

Far out this is horrible :(

Water has been tested and everything is as normal.

Ph: 7.6

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 20

Clementine went over and disturbed where Sunshine was and Sunshine has been swimming around ever since, fins are not clamped at all when she swims around but she is not super active.

As water results are fine, I think there is definitely some bad bacteria living in my gravel which was disturbed when I poured the water in. I mean, does that sound right? I regularly siphon the tank but I don't think I've been doing a good enough job and after reading the article linked to me, I realise I've made some mistakes.

I need to do a really good siphon of my tank, though I don't want to do this till Sunshine is all better. I have a question, I want to take both fish out of the tank and do a really good siphon, including lifting up some driftwood which I normally don't (but will be from now on a regular basis), how long should I leave it till I return the fish to the tank? Incase I disturb all this bad stuff once again, though I hope to get rid of it. Would it be best to leave the fish in the bucket say all day and return them after a few hours to the tank? Or maybe even longer, just to let everything settle? Though I don't want to leave the fish for too long in an 8 litre or say 2 gallon bucket.

Fingers crossed for Sunshine over night though. That is my main worry at the moment :(

Poor Sunshine.

It is possible that the gravel disruption has caused icky stuff to be released into the water.

How thick is your gravel?

I think that is what happened :(

It's not that thick, I'd say it varies from about 1cm-4cm.