Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

Feeding Repashy Gel Food on a Rock!

This was a lot of fun... for both me and the fish!

First the photos.

IMG_3742WM_zps622e1bca.jpg

IMG_3747WM_zps942ea625.jpg

IMG_3752WM_zps6af2d733.jpg

IMG_3759WM_zpsd9832583.jpg

I like this photo (below) because you can faintly see the food "dust" that he's spitting out while chewing.

IMG_3760WM_zpsa5586bf7.jpg

IMG_3762WM_zps1de47bbf.jpg

IMG_3763WM_zpscddf7281.jpg

IMG_3769WM_zpsbd523e1a.jpg

My favorite photo (below) :heart ! You can see Luca's derpy eyes (how they go in different directions) in this photo. :lol3

IMG_3772WM_zpsac290300.jpg

IMG_3773WM_zps71bd8117.jpg

And there's video too!

As you'll see, Clover never actually ate from the rock! He kept swimming close and looking at it very suspiciously, but he never went for it. Instead, he zoomed around eating the leftover bits that the other guys had ripped off. :lol3

I didn't let them finish all the food on the rock. It was way too much for one feeding, so I put it in the fridge for later. My husband laughed at the silliness of keeping a rock slathered in green paste in our fridge. :rofl

Awww how fun is that? Can't wait to try it when Ms Diller wraps her head around the fact that there is such a thing as non-pelleted food.

:rofl. Your giant fish are just beautiful and your "little guys" are soooo funny! :rofl

if you could just pack up the tank, fish and rock with Repashy and send it right on over to me I'd appreciate it! :teehee

:rofl Luca's eyes are awesome!

Such a great idea, and it looks like a lot of fun! :D It must have kept them well occupied! :)

Haha that's brilliant. Lots of good stimulation for the beauties! :)

I love feeding my fish this way. It has the big advantage that one of them can not vacuum up half the chunks of food and the others get cut short

This way everyone has the same chances.

Unless you are feeding the pleco, because he is a master of licking food off of rocks within mere seconds :lol

Aw. How cute. I think your video is even better than the other videos out there. Repashy should use your video in their promos! :)

I was wondering about that being the amount of food in one sitting when I first started reading the thread lol. I was thinking that you must be trying to put them on hyper growth :rofl

Did you say anywhere in the video or on the YouTube channel that that amount is way too much for the number of fish you have in a single sitting? Some people might take it as the guide on how much to feed? May be you can add a little bit of explanation on the video itself at the end. I know you have a how-to video, but perhaps it might be worth it, since we always worry about overfeeding. :o

Fang, these days I cut the cubes bigger than I did in the past. This way, one cube is all anyone fish can grab in one go, allowing other fish to get to the food :)

Edited by dnalex

Thanks everyone. :) I put the Repashy rock back in the tank for a little while today, and Clover still hadn't figured it out. But Luca managed to knock loose a pretty big piece that Clover ate, so he still got his fill.

I love feeding my fish this way. It has the big advantage that one of them can not vacuum up half the chunks of food and the others get cut short

This way everyone has the same chances.

Unless you are feeding the pleco, because he is a master of licking food off of rocks within mere seconds :lol

I was thinking this too, because Callisto's mouth is huge and she is a major food hog. I am constantly having to herd her away from the food so that the little butterflies can get some. Even Clover, who is about the same size as her, has a hard time competing for food with Callisto. It's why I had always hand-fed them in the past (and still do); to regulate the amount of food each fish got.

Edited by Sakura

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Do you pour it on the rock or dip the rock in it?

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Do you pour it on the rock or dip the rock in it?

I poured it onto the rock. :)

Great pics as always :)

I tried this once and it just flaked right off the rock when I put it in the water (a bumpy rock too) :(

Great pics as always :)

I tried this once and it just flaked right off the rock when I put it in the water (a bumpy rock too) :(

Thanks Tithra. :)

That's weird, the Repashy stuck to the rock really well for me. This rock has a really uneven surface though, with lots of deep furrows and such. Maybe that's why.

It is so cute how Luca follows your hand around! :heart

Right?! I just love him! :wub:

Edited by Sakura

Can you stop it with the great ideas now?! Wait, don't! :) I was thinking I might try this with my bubble eyes as pellets move around on them. I try to feed them in one corner always but the pellets get pushed around. This would keep the food in one place and allow them all to graze.

Thanks for the idea? Your new babies are looking amazing! They are so chubbs. They're adorable :)

Can you stop it with the great ideas now?! Wait, don't! :) I was thinking I might try this with my bubble eyes as pellets move around on them. I try to feed them in one corner always but the pellets get pushed around. This would keep the food in one place and allow them all to graze.

Thanks for the idea? Your new babies are looking amazing! They are so chubbs. They're adorable :)

Thanks GT! I think it would work really well for your bubble eyes! They are so cute.

I hope nobody gets the wrong idea, putting the Repashy on a rock is not my original idea or anything. I first saw it in a video by Ted's Fish Room. :)

Thanks GT! I think it would work really well for your bubble eyes! They are so cute.

I hope nobody gets the wrong idea, putting the Repashy on a rock is not my original idea or anything. I first saw it in a video by Ted's Fish Room. :)

OK OK fine you can't take all the credit :) but you did take the time to experiment with it and share it with us. Its a new idea to me so thanks!

Great pics & video as always Jennie :D

I thinks its a good idea to make them work a little for the food hehe.

I could watch those guys for hours - as im sure you do!

Your fish are so cute! The rock in the fridge comment made me lol :)