Changed my substrate to eco complete

cmclien

Spent a couple hours on this today, think it will be awhile before I change substrate again! I bought the eco complete black, took out half of my gravel and mixed what was left with the black for a little contrast and natural color. I have tried every kind of substrate almost now and none at all. I have had river rock, marbles, gravel and now a mixture of gravel with the planting substrate. This was one bag. I would have to add more to plant into the substrate as it only is about 1/2 inch.

Thanks for looking :)

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Bing the photogenic! He is the only one slow enough I can capture on camera

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Old gravel which I liked but the mostly black shows off the plants and fish better I think:

IMG_0062.jpg

Edited by cmclien

Oooo. Looks nice! I think the mixing worked very well!

Thanks, I think I like the contrasting colors. I have a little bit of the bag left I will add in to the rest next time I get the urge to take everything out! :P I should've just done it all today! duh! I just couldn't tell how it was looking and I figured it would be easier to add then take away.

It looks very nice!

Thanks!

Looks great!! I agree--I love the contrast of the black with the green of the plants! :D

Thanks! Looks less washed out I think

Looks great. Now you need to be a lot more plants.

Ha ha here I thought I was doing really well with my 7 little ones! :D I would need to add more substrate wouldn't I to plant them in? I only have about 1/2 inch there.

Very pretty! :clapping:

Thanks!

Ooo, it looks great!! I hope you love it. :)

I hope I do too because its not coming back out! :rofl

OMG looks great! I do believe it brings out the plants a bit more :P The fish are looking great as always!

Thanks! They are quite happy these days with being able to forage and the food I've been giving them.

Very nice! I'm sure the crew likes their new digs! :heart

They are a spoiled bunch thats for sure.

Wow, great job! I definitely think it brings out the plants a lot more. :)

Thanks! I think so too :) What kind of lights do you have? I remember you said you had that awesome bloom!

Very nice! It looks beautiful.

I have to say that I am really liking this current trend of planted goldfish tanks! :)

Thanks Alex! I guess that means I need to upgrade my lights to T5's? I have T8's and just saw my first new leaf today after having these plants about 6 weeks! I was so excited but that seems a little slow even for slow growing plants right?

Edited by cmclien

I have a Marineland double bright LED, which has been great for my Anubias. I haven't tried any other plants with it though so I couldn't tell you how it would do with other plant species. :)

Me too, Alex! I may be next . . . along with getting rid of my barebottom! :o

It does look really really great, Cindi! :heart You may have just inspired me.

Me and all the others before me! My only advice if you decide to do that, rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse some more! Or you will have muddy water? :madrant I don't know that for sure but what came out of the bag was pretty muddy and took alot of rinsing before I felt comfortable putting it in with my fishies as I didn't want to take them out. It went from mud, to a nice cup of tea, to dirty dish water and finally clear!

Edited by cmclien

Looks awesome! I just put eco complete in my tank yesterday :)

Do you have any before and after pics too? How much did you use? Are you going to plant?

I'm planning on doing the same! Already have it on order. Any concerns about pH with this stuff?

I'm almost positive the bag said it doesn't effect ph or other parameters. My ph is pretty high so I wouldn't have bought it if it did (8.0) There are a couple different directions on the back of the bag for an established tank vs a brand new setup as the bag comes complete with nitrifying bacteria it says. For my tank, I dumped out the water per directions but its supposed to help establish new tank with the water left in.

I love the new look :) very natural feel and it really does make the fish and plants POP!!! Great job!!

Thanks so much Shellbell! I was aiming for a natural feel :)

Very nice!! I agree with Hidr, More Plants. :)

LOL, you guys and the plants, won't the ones I have grow?

I would like one that would grow tall and viney....any recommendations? I would try that as a first planted plant.