Sigh. Aqueon water changer won't suction anymore.

I'm so frustrated. I spent a lot of money on it (imo). It's been less than a month since I've had it. It suctioned and gravel vac'd just fine before. Now, it will start suction and I can see the water go up to the T piece and then it just tapers down and all the water falls back down in the tank direction.

It refills my tank just fine without visibly leaking anywhere (like in the hosing and it doesn't spray out the T piece). Does that mean the T piece is malfunctioning somehow? Is there a fix? If it is the T piece that is malfunctioning, does anybody recommend how to replace it with metal parts?

Is this a siphon that relies on water suction to drain, if so it could be your current water pressure isn't high enough?

I just have a plain pipe so I have to suck on the other end to get the suction started, then it drains using gravity :)

Have you tried to start the suction by putting the siphon end in the tank. turning water on with the valve in the "fill" position, letting the hose fill, flipping up the siphon end so all of the air bubbles flow out, and then switching the valve to "suction" to get the siphon started, to see if it loses suction that way? That is an awfully long hose to get going, sometimes it takes a little help. You can also shut the water off after the siphon is started- I do all the time, and it keeps on going.

Also, sometimes you have to walk a large air bubble out, too- just pick up the hose, and let the bubble rise, and then walk along the length of the hose, raising it up as you go, until the air bubble comes out the drain end. It will siphon quicker when the air bubble is out. ;)

Yeah, it does require the water suction. I fiddled with the pressure knobs under the sink and today, the suction isn't high enough even on max! Last water change, 1/3 the max pressure was good enough to get a lot of suction.

You give me a good idea... now that I have a 50 foot hose, maybe I can try the sucking method instead. Hopefully, it'll go up and over the tank walls okay. :P

Have you tried to start the suction by putting the siphon end in the tank. turning water on with the valve in the "fill" position, letting the hose fill, flipping up the siphon end so all of the air bubbles flow out, and then switching the valve to "suction" to get the siphon started, to see if it loses suction that way? That is an awfully long hose to get going, sometimes it takes a little help. You can also shut the water off after the siphon is started- I do all the time, and it keeps on going.

Also, sometimes you have to walk a large air bubble out, too- just pick up the hose, and let the bubble rise, and then walk along the length of the hose, raising it up as you go, until the air bubble comes out the drain end. It will siphon quicker when the air bubble is out. ;)

Hmm. walking bubbles. I will try that too! My hose does have some bubbles.

Thanks for the help so far, Jamie and Ninzah!

Yeah, just fill the hose completely from the sink while the siphon end is in the tank, and reverse the valve... see how that goes!

It works way better if you wiggle the siphon end around in the tank to get as many air bubbles out as possible, and have the hose pretty much totally filled with water before reversing the flow.

I use a pond pump to remove tank water, as I'm on a well, and my pressure sucks. It has cut a ton of time off my water changes.

I've had my aqueon for a few months now, and can't imagine my life without it.

@Yafashelli, I can't imagine life without it either! That's why I freaked out when I couldn't start it... imagining the old days with buckets... NOOO!!!

Thanks for coming to the rescue, girls! The bubble walking idea really did the trick. :9

It's all about your water pressure. If your water pressure goes down, you lose suction. Another couple of tips is to run the faucet full blast on cold for greatest pressure and to try to keep the hose level from the tank to the faucet -- big ups and downs in the hose can reduce the suction.

The biggest advice is to get a pond pump or use gravity to drain the tank out a window or door. I use gravity in the warmer months and drain the tank out the window into my front yard, but for the winter, I recently got a pond pump. I got this one on the recommendation of another member. http://www.harborfre...pump-68395.html It's cheap and works great. It drains faster than gravity, and it will save water and money for your water bill.

Edited by ShawneeRiver