Ranchu attacked...Do I need to put it down?

Tiffken813

Hey everyone, I haven't been on here in a while. Life has been super hectic and my tank has been doing great until now. I walked by the tank and found my little oranda attacking my ranchu. She's always been sickly and she has trouble with swim bladder. She was having trouble today and the little fish came up and attacked. He has ripped two huge patches of scales off and I'm not even sure if this is an injury she can recover from or if she needs to be put down. I took some pictures so you can see the damage. I don't have the water perameters off hand right now, but can get them in a little while if you really need them. The main thing is I just need to know if she can recover from this or if she's just suffering. I'm so upset. =( What do I do for my poor fish?

IMG_5006_zpsbe6f3331.jpg

IMG_5002_zps2847ba5d.jpg

IMG_5014_zpse4757ee3.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my goodness, that's awful :(

I'm assuming from the pictures that you have isolated her into a safe place.

You would be best to answer as many questions from the list as you can, that way those helping will have all the info right from the start.

I hope she can recover.

Oh my god. :( I feel so bad for your ranchu. :cry Judjing from Miss Wiggle's tummy and the amount of white, I don't think that will heal quickly. :(

Oh, my. That is terrible. I'm so sorry. :(

The damage is really extensive, although I think it looks much worse than it might actually be. I think we can definitely try to save him, but it will require that you do all that you can to keep the water as toxin free and pathogen low as much as possible. This will translate to putting kanamycin, a very potent antibiotic in the water while she heals, and doing major daily water changes. It will not be easy.

I would understand if you choose the other option. There is no judgment here. Let me know, and we will proceed.

I can move her down to my 10 gallon or pick up a pastic bin and use it as a hospital tank, pick up an extra pump, whatever. I want to try to save her. So what do we do? She's floating by her rear end, and I couldn't remember if that was swim baldder or something else. I keep their water clean and I had done 5 rounds pf prazi pro to treat for parasites last summer, so I didn't think it was that but I never no with these little guys. Thank you so much for helping.

Right now, moving her to a tub or tank is the first order of business. I would like to attempt this please:

Get two 5 gallon tubs, and those will be your hospital tanks. She will occupy one at any time, while the other has water prepared and is all ready for her to use. The maximum time she will stay in one tub will be 24 hours, after which you will gently transfer her over to the other prepared tank. Use some sort of cup/small container to move her. This is essentially bucket to to bucket method. I would prefer it if you could move her every 12 hours or so, but 24 hours is OK as well.

You will need to make sure that the tubs are always 2x treated with Prime.

See if you can get kanaplex. They usually have it at Petsmart and other LFSs. For the first 12 days or so, we are also going to Kanaplex treat the water, to keep things as sterile as possible.

What do you think?

I'm on it boss! Thanks so much for the help. We live a hour away from fish stores, so let me just check with the hubby really quick about heading out there this evening and picking up the meds and buckets.

Just to get this straight, we need to buy Kanaplex (petsmart) and also the antibiotic Kanamyacin? Is that sold at Petsmart? Also will I be using a pump to filter the water (I assume?)?

My apologies. I should have made it clear. Kanaplex is the branded name for the antibiotic kanamycin. It usually is sold at Petsmart. However, because you are so far away, I would call them and check to see that they have it first. :)

You will not need an actual filter. Just an air pump and air stone for whichever tub he is in. :)

Ok, that clears it up. I am headed out to the Dallas area...a ton of petsmarts and petcos. Good to know about the pump, my husband was starting to get the freaking out this is going to cost a lot of money face.

I will repeat this again, just to make sure that you know that there is no pressure whatsoever for you to try to treat. The damage is great, and so it will be very tough.

Do what you think is best for the situation here.

Oh wow, now that looks awful. I understand you want to try to save him, I probably would want to try too.

You have already received excellent advice, so all I can give you is my best wishes for the little guy and yourself. You know we are always there for emotional support as well :)

I think that while worrying for your poor injured baby, it might be important to also worry about the attacker. This looks like some very serious aggression. I understand that fish will attack sick members of their school, but this is really horrific. :( You have lots of support either way you decide to go.