Oranda white spot on wen with white string appearing and disappearing.

Vdubbchic

I'm new here, so thank you in advance for all your help. I filled out the form the best I could!

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level (tank): 0

* Nitrite Level (tank)0

* Nitrate level (Tank)10-20 ppm

* Ammonia Level (Tap):0

* Nitrite Level (Tap)0

* Nitrate level (Tap)

* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8.0

* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater liquid test kit

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Ehiem for 150 gallon

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Amquel plus and nov aqua plus

* Water temperature? 71

* How often do you change the water and how much? 25-30% weekly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 30%

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallon 8 months to a year

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 3 about three inches and 2 about 4-5 inches

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro gold once a day and veggies couple times a week

* Any new fish added to the tank? Not recently. About two months ago

* Any medications added to the tank? Feeding medi gold and applying bio bandage to my oranda with the problem

* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) none

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Possible fungus on the oranda not sure

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

So here it is I have an oranda. He has had a white spot on his wen from about almost the time I purchased him. It comes and goes, so I thought it was wen growth. Then a week ago it got a little fuzzy so I thought maybe fungal. Dabbed the area with a bit of peroxide. Seemed to help.

Next day a new little pimple spot appeared. With a white head.

Then a little white string coming from it. Within an hour it fell off.

Did a bit of research and thought maybe anchor worm. But looked at picks and there wasn't a "y" end to it nor a red spot where it was coming from.

So I was told to try bio bandage on it. I have been applying that with feeding him medi gold. Seemed to get better where it went down and became that slightly whit area again on the wen.

I applied the bio bandage again this morning, but after about 15 min I noticed something stringy coming out again. This time the color was slightly orange. Not sure if it was the bio bandage coloring it. Because I notice it turns slight pinkish when applied.

Then again as quick as it appeared it disappeared.

Now later today looks like that whit wen growth again.

If you couldn't tell I'm extremely confused and concerned. All his friends including him are eating and acting normal. No other visible signs of anything wrong.

So what should I do?

Is it tape worms, anchor worms, treat for flukes, fungal, or something else. :(

Worried about my little guy. I have pics just not sure how to post them?

Thank you all!

^^Agreed. A picture is worth a thousand words. And thank you for filling out the form so completely and for your description. Before a mod diagnoses, a picture would be extremely helpful. :D

How long have you been feeding MediGold?

Tap water levels of nitrate and pH would also be appreciated.

Are the nitrates you listed for your tank from before or after your water change?

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/Dana_La_Scala-_Huckle/image_zps247afc98.jpg

This is the second day. The white thing only lasted on there about 15 min

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/Dana_La_Scala-_Huckle/image_zps2e0d7a28.jpg

This is how it looks most of the time.

Ph level of tap is about an 8

Nitrates are 0 out of tap.

Hope these pics are helpful.

Edited by Vdubbchic

Just for future reference, these are most likely just wen spots, something that orandas and other wenned goldfish get all the time, especially during the fall/winter. It is thought to be associated with low grade infections, but there is no need for any type of treatment. According to Johnson & Hess, one of the reference manuals for goldfish keeping, if it really bothers you, you can just use a Q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide to quickly swab it away. However, even that is not necessary.

A good general rule to go by is that unless it's red on the wen, or it's deep inside, leave it alone. It will resolve on its own. When in doubt, just post here to get other opinions.

Since you started Medi-Gold, you will need to continue feeding the medicated food for a minimum of ten days total. Otherwise, I don't see a cause for concern. :)