Sign in to follow this  
channelle

New to Repashy

I love the idea of making your own gf food!! I made one of the repashy recipes and the gf love it! They love shaking the block to get a chunk; its fun to watch.

Questions:

Can you feed repashy to other fish, like oscars?

How thick of blocks to you make? Mine were super thin wafer-like for my 4 fancies.

How often do you feed them repashy? Once a day? Twice a day?

Does it replace their normal food or is it a treat?

How many months does one recipe last you? 1 month? 3 months?

Sorry for all the questions! I want to give my goldfish only the best!

I make my batches 3 tablespoons of powder at a time, and it lasts me about 2 weeks. I use a small rectangular container, and it ends up being about a half inch thick. I cut the squares so that they equal approximately one meal-sized portion. Try buying a small pocket scale to weigh out your food--It's helped me tons with figuring out how much to feed. It's a nutritionally complete diet for goldfish, and probably for many other fish also. There are different "flavors" of repashy for different kinds of fish. Check out the different kinds to see which you would need for your other fishy friends. :D

Can you feed repashy to other fish, like oscars? There are several different flavors of Repashy. I would research those to decide what kind is best for your Oscars, as they won't be healthy on just Soilent Green like your goldfish will.

How thick of blocks to you make? Mine were super thin wafer-like for my 4 fancies. It really depends on the size of your fancies. :)

How often do you feed them repashy? Once a day? Twice a day? I feed 2-3 meals a day, but these are smaller meals.

Does it replace their normal food or is it a treat? Repashy Soilent Green is my goldies' main diet, but their complete diet is supplemented with bloodworms, fruit, and veggies.

How many months does one recipe last you? 1 month? 3 months? Generally 1/4 cup powder lasts me about 1.5 months, and that is freezing more than what I would need in a week and keeping the rest in the freezer to thaw as-needed.

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

I made mine from scratch, using peas, tuna, etc. What is the powder you talk of? does it turn to jello like the home made recipes? I guess I'll have to look up different flavors too.

I made mine from scratch, using peas, tuna, etc. What is the powder you talk of? does it turn to jello like the home made recipes? I guess I'll have to look up different flavors too.

'repashy' refers to a premade powdered gel food, so I think we all assumed you were making this? It comes as a powder and you just add water (boil or microwave it) and it turns to a gel food. It has a plant based binder instead of gelatin which is nice. Many of us who used to make homemade gel food have switched to repashy soilent green for our goldies because of the ease and good ingredients http://tastyworms.com/fish/food-and-treats-en/repashy-gel-foods/

There are other varieties of repashy that are better for other types of fish.

If you search around the forum there are a lot of discussions on this product ;)

I think it's pretty cool how "Repashy" is turning into the casual term for any gel food, like "Kleenex" for tissues. XD

Let's make it into a verb! :rofl

:teehee I thought Repashy was the term for any gel food! :D I am a newbie.... Thanks for the help!

I hadn't been making gel food but was in the habit of tossing all sorts of things into the tank - parboiled scraps of the veggies we were eating, bits of egg white from breakfast and so on. We ordered actual Repashy (we repashed) from TW and Newt has now had three small meals of it. Reports so far, he eats it but not as enthusiastically as some other things and it clearly fills him up. He stops begging for a while after eating it.

I suspect that we will vary his diet with the Hikari pellets, the fresh veg scraps and the Repashy if only because of cost and the fact we like feeding him different things.

I hadn't been making gel food but was in the habit of tossing all sorts of things into the tank - parboiled scraps of the veggies we were eating, bits of egg white from breakfast and so on. We ordered actual Repashy (we repashed) from TW and Newt has now had three small meals of it. Reports so far, he eats it but not as enthusiastically as some other things and it clearly fills him up. He stops begging for a while after eating it.

I suspect that we will vary his diet with the Hikari pellets, the fresh veg scraps and the Repashy if only because of cost and the fact we like feeding him different things.

Nice kajakk, by the way Chanelle! I can't wait for it to get warm enough to paddle again.

So is repashy like a bought version of gel food, that you make up yourself, instead of making it from scratch?

So is repashy like a bought version of gel food, that you make up yourself, instead of making it from scratch?

Pretty much, although I think the ingredients are better than what most people could practically put into their home made gel food. It's got a ridiculous amount of super-healthy algae and whole seafood meals that most people just don't have access to, and it's probably the most complete diet you can find in gel form, arguably in any form.

Ooh I need to get some of this! :D

Just brace yourself for the smell :D

and the reactions from other members of the household when they hit the fridge for the leftovers

and the reactions from other members of the household when they hit the fridge for the leftovers

I just slapped a lid on the tupperware container I made it in. Can't smell it at all.

:rofl I get it in the neck enough when I boil up veggies, tuna and agar and set it in the fridge! :P

Hmm I shall have to source it in the UK.

:rofl I get it in the neck enough when I boil up veggies, tuna and agar and set it in the fridge! :P

Hmm I shall have to source it in the UK.

I know Lucerne had mentioned wanting some. Maybe ya'll can get another group shipment going.

I believe a few people do, though I've never freezed it. I made a tiny batch with just 2 teaspoons of powder and it'll last my fishy all week. It just takes seconds to heat up the water then dump the powder in. It was set and ready to eat in less the 30 minutes. Love it!

I love the idea of making your own gf food!! I made one of the repashy recipes and the gf love it! They love shaking the block to get a chunk; its fun to watch.

Questions:

Can you feed repashy to other fish, like oscars?

Yes! Just about most fish will enjoy them. Repashy has different solutions. Some fish may not like it, but most will.

How thick of blocks to you make? Mine were super thin wafer-like for my 4 fancies.

You can make them in any shape and size as you prefer. They will tear them apart.

Repashy are very potent and loaded. Once a day is fine in smallest amount. Larger amount, every few days. Most people feed Repashy basically once a week. More frequently in growing babies.

Both. Depend on what you are growing and the kind of fish. I wouldn't say complete replacing, but Repashy is definitely a treat to them.

How many months does one recipe last you? 1 month? 3 months?

It depends on how many fish, the size of blocks and feeding frequency. For me, one batch lasts around two weeks. The bag size I got will last me many months...probably at least a year.

Sorry for all the questions! I want to give my goldfish only the best!

Repashy are very potent and loaded. Once a day is fine in smallest amount. Larger amount, every few days. Most people feed Repashy basically once a week. More frequently in growing babies.

DNAlex comment: It might be potent, but it is not loaded...nutrient wise it's about 1/4 of the content of pellets, and 3/4 water. I'm not saying that this is bad. This is actually good, but you actually need to feed more Repashy per weight compared to pellets.

I'm also not sure where you get the idea that most people feed Repashy once a week. On this board, many people feed Repashy daily, and many times more than once/day. :)

Both. Depend on what you are growing and the kind of fish. I wouldn't say complete replacing, but Repashy is definitely a treat to them.

DNAlex comment: certainly you can use it as a treat, but it is better as a staple. The soilent green formula is much better than any pellet in terms of composition.

Its what I read and learned on it. I just don't overdo it for all my wet pets.