Tears in tail fin & white spots.

Guest Mr Grump

From Seachem...Prime will bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24-48 hours. At which point, if they are still present, will be released. Of course, we are more concerned with ammonia and nitrites, rather than nitrates....we recommend dosing Prime every 48 hours to keep the ammonia/nitrites detoxified. As long as you are using Prime as directed, there is no harm in adding it this frequently for an extended period of time. Every 24 hours should not really be necessary, as it will remain active for up to 48 hours....even when bound to Prime, the ammonia will provide enough of a food source for the beneficial bacteria to survive and reproduce. Using Prime during cycling will not starve off any bacterial colonies, and there will still be a sufficient food source.

Edited by FlipsHere

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr Grump

Thanks

I can't find that information on the Seachem site, especially the part where it only binds for 24-48 hours. Do you have a link?

If we say do a 75% water change every 24 hours, would we therefore re-dose Prime to 75% of the regular dose, or 100%?

Guest Mr Grump

Thanks for the link, t was very interesting.

We have just tested for ammonia 3 hours after adding Prime & the API liquid test shows 0.25ppm. I assume that this is supposed to be "safe" ammonia, but it's a bit worrying.

Because the range is 24-48 hours, redosing every 24 hours is a safer bet than every 48 hours.

The ammonia, although bound and safe, will indeed still show up on the API test.

When you do your water changes you'll want to dose for the full volume of the tank regardless of how big of a water change you make

Using the water conditioner to cut down on water changes is just to make your life easier and cut down on how often you are redosing meds. However, of you feel more comfortable with it you can also continue with the frequent water changes :) either way works

Guest Mr Grump

Thanks Tithra

The lower quantity of water changes will help very much. I was just concerned with how to be sure that the ammonia is safe. Also the Seachem forum does contradict itself regarding the 24/48 hours thing. I have asked for clarification.

We have water changed 75% tonight & I will re-dose with Prime to 75% only because the initial full Prime dose was only made 4 hours ago or so.

We let Scooby & Basil out of their nets & they have been doing better than yesterday. with a lower water level, we put Mango in a net & tried to tempt Scooby & Basil with med food & also a small amount of brine shrimp. Basil was not interested, but Scooby showed a slight interest & ate one shrimp. Neither ate the med food which we offered first. Mango was stressed in the net so we then let her out after 20 mins. I think that Scooby & Basil were more relaxed & happy with Mango in a net & their behaviour improved. Basil picked at the tank bottom a few times. Scooby was playing in the filter flow. We are leaving them all in the tank this evening, but for the night, we will put them back in the nets as they are constantly avoiding Mango, although Scooby not as much as Basil who is trying to hide from her. We consider Basil only in a net but I was concerned that Scooby would then get 100% of her attention tonight. I think that tt is possible that if Scooby & Basil were safe from Mango for several hours that they may eat.

Guest Mr Grump

Bed time & we tested the water finding that the pH had slipped to 7.1 from 7.4. More bi-carb added & we will test again first thing in the morning. Basil & Scooby are in their nets again, although aggression from Mango has been much less this evening.

I hope that Mango, Scooby & Basil have a good rest & are a little stronger in the morning.

Guest Mr Grump

Mango fed this morning as usual with med food. Scooby & Basil are in their nets for last night & this morning, Scooby showed an interest in eating. We tried him with a soaked pellet which he ate & spat out twice. Basil had no interest in food. We will let Scooby & Basil out all afternoon & evening & monitor how much they are attacked by Mango & decide whether to net them again at night. We will water change tonight & try to encourage them to feed.

Guest Mr Grump

We don't have blood worm & it would be a new food for them. I can get some today if the LFS have any.

We will let them out in the tank this afternoon & feed them.

Guest Mr Grump

We will do that, thanks.

we are letting them into the tank this afternoon from their nets & will try several times to get them to eat. They are intimidated by Mango at feeding times, so we may put Mango in a net for a short while. I will visit my LFS & see if she has frozen blood worm.

Guest Mr Grump

I have the frozen blood worm, but only the baby blood worm size. Before I left home, we let Scooby & Basil out of their nets as my wife was able to check on them through the afternoon. We had left 2 pellets & one small bit of med food in Scooby's net, the pellets & med food were gone. After letting them all out, we then fed lunch to the tank of peas. Mango got most of them, but Scooby also ate some & Basil showed a slight interest, eating a few bits but then spitting them out. What is left of Scooby's dorsal fin is now erect for the first time. Almost all of Basil's blood marks on his body have gone, there is still some pink around his pectorals. Both Basil & Scooby's mouths look a lot less red. Mango is being less aggressive this afternoon, but Basil & Scooby still avoid her.

We will water change a little later & then feed med foods.

Guest Mr Grump

Basil & Scooby have been out of their nets all afternoon & evening. We did a 75% water change this evening & re-dosed.

Feeding time was with med food & Mango ate like normal. Surprisingly Basil also started eating & ate like normal. Scooby is still tentative & ate some med food, but spat most of it out. Aggression from Mango appears to have stopped. We have checked on them many times & will leave them all together in the tank tonight. I hope that this will relieve the stress from being in the nets & hope that aggression does not start in the night. All Basil's blood marks have gone with just feint blood around his elbows. Scooby's elbows just have a tinge of blood. All dorsal fins are raised. We just noticed that Mango appears to have only one anal fin.

Sleep well little babies.

Guest Mr Grump

This morning, no aggression at all. They were together in the tank all night with no nets.

Mango & Basil came to the front of the tank asking for food & ate med food normally. Scooby was hanging around high near the filter & was not really interested. When food was delivered, he tried several pieces of med food but spat them all out. Some poop needed to be cleaned but not enough, so peas again for lunch.

Guest Mr Grump

Basil & Mango are now eating normally & act as though the are well. Scooby is still not eating well, but his character is that he is a bit "picky" with food. Tonight, he ate the meds but spat most of them out. We then tried them with blood worms, Scooby initially ate & spat out the blood worms, but then later on he ate several of them. His favourite food is pellets, so we may try that tomorrow lunchtime.

Goodnight, Basil, Mango & Scooby. We hope that you are all stronger tomorrow.

Are we able to freeze the med food?

Guest Mr Grump

We were unsure if to freeze. The med food is all in the fridge, but not frozen. We will freeze it now, unless you think it is spoiled & we need new?

How long has it been sitting in the fridge? If it's less than a week, it's probably OK to freeze. Ideally, you would want to leave out enough for only a few days at a time, and freeze the rest.

How are the fish doing this morning?

Guest Mr Grump

The first batch of medicated Repashy Super Green food has been in the fridge since Jan 22nd . The second batch of Agar food has been in the fridge for 2 or 3 days less.

Mango looks well & comes to us for food. Basil is the same & I can see no pink around him at all. Basil's eyes look to be changing, they have some sort of clear dome around them. We will upload a photo. Scooby has some slight pink at the ends of his pectorals. He is not interested in food & does not come to us. We are considering whether to put him into a net to feed him pellets. Scooby is not being bothered by the others, although he tends to avoid them.

We are getting pH crashes despite the coral sand. This morning was pH 6.6 (down from 7.4). We can either set the alarm for something like 3am for a tank test or use a chemical pH buffer. Which would be best?