Tears in tail fin & white spots.

Guest Mr Grump

Guest Mr Grump

Thank you, however our Metronidazole being in liquid form would mean 200ml of the liquid would be a large amount, something like a coffee cup worth just of the fluid. are you happy with the sodium in there too? With the Metronidazole being so dilute, I'm concerned that the fish would not get to eat enough of it because we would have to make such a large quantity. The food would be nearly all Metronidazole solution with little room for actual food. I think that the vet intended the Metronidazole solution to be poured into the tank.

The main tank has had a water change, gravel vac & is now salted to 0.2%. There are still some bottom sitters. The temperature has been increased by 1°C.

Pumpkin has been moved to the quarantine, she is not happy there & was swimming around banging into the sides. After turning off the room lights. she is now sitting near the surface next to the internal filter intake. She looks very upset & highly stressed. The quarantine tank is at 20°C & has fresh water with no salt.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, however our Metronidazole being in liquid form would mean 200ml of the liquid would be a large amount, something like a coffee cup worth just of the fluid. are you happy with the sodium in there too? With the Metronidazole being so dilute, I'm concerned that the fish would not get to eat enough of it because we would have to make such a large quantity. The food would be nearly all Metronidazole solution with little room for actual food. I think that the vet intended the Metronidazole solution to be poured into the tank.

The main tank has had a water change, gravel vac & is now salted to 0.2%. There are still some bottom sitters. The temperature has been increased by 1°C.

Pumpkin has been moved to the quarantine, she is not happy there & was swimming around banging into the sides. After turning off the room lights. she is now sitting near the surface next to the internal filter intake. She looks very upset & highly stressed. The quarantine tank is at 20°C & has fresh water with no salt.

Ah, I see. Ok, are you able to get metro tablets from the vet. Unfortunately, it will not do what we need it to do in the water. Because this is an internal issue, it needs to be treated with a food based medication. If you can get metro in a pill or powder form that would be the best. I assumed that the liquid was less dilute than that.

Guest Mr Grump

I will ask the vet tomorrow morning. I know that the infusion version is the only one that they had. They may be able to order it in another form, but this will take at least a few days.

Regarding the Seachem Paraguard, the recommended dose is 5ml per 40 litres & suggests to repeat daily?

I will ask the vet tomorrow morning. I know that the infusion version is the only one that they had. They may be able to order it in another form, but this will take at least a few days.

Regarding the Seachem Paraguard, the recommended dose is 5ml per 40 litres & suggests to repeat daily?

Okay.

I am headed to bed and won't be around until tomorrow afternoon. I have notified the rest of the mod team about your issues with the metro and about the paraguard, so someone should be by later to give you further instruction :)

Hello,

I'm sorry you are having so many issues. Don't be discouraged. It's almost like everyone's had to go through one of these really challenging phases before things calm down.

Go ahead and use the Paraguard as instructed by Seachem. You should have not problem with that.

Let me know once you have Metro tablets, and we can go ahead with the food preparation. :)

Guest Mr Grump

Understood.

We both have to work this morning, so rather than start treatment now & not being able to observe the effects, we will wait until early afternoon before starting treatment.

Pumpkin in the quarantine tank is still stressed. She came out to greet us this morning, but has gone back to hiding behind the internal filter. She is refusing to eat although her appearance seems ok. She did the biggest poop ever seen last night, normal colour. We do not like using unnecessary chemicals, but should we consider some sort of stress additive?

The main tank are all eating this morning.

Can I confirm that if we treat the main tank with Paraguard that it should still be salted?

Guest Mr Grump

Pumpkin is still very stressed indeed. her colours have gone dull & she continues to hide. She allowed me to touch her so that I could very carefully check her scales. On her left side, where she has lost some scales from mating activity, the scales are very slightly raised. On her right side, she scales are well defined, but not raised at all. It is very borderline to say that she has pine-coning.

The main tank is still salted to 0.2% the the fish appear to be managing ok. The quarantine with pumpkin currently has no treatment & is just fresh water at normal temperature. We could leave the main tank salted & leave Pumpkin in the quarantine & use Paraguard. My concern is that Pumpkin is extremely unhappy & stressed, which will not help her condition. She is also not eating. Our other option is to do a big water change on the main tank to remove the salt, re-introduce Pumpkin & treat the tank with Paraguard. This would also put us in the position that if another fish started pine-coning, we would not have to re-move it & have several fish in a partly-cycled quarantine tank.

I hope you can advise.

Guest Mr Grump

We are adding a little more coral sand in a bag to our filter. KH was 35ppm & GH was 53ppm. With 2 coral sand bags we have KH 53ppm & GH 71ppm.

I understand that treatment is more effective & less toxic at a higher hardness, so we are going to add a further small bag of coral sand. This can be removed if your recommend.

The intention now is to add another small bag of coral sand, do a large water change, add Pumpkin back to the main tank & treat with Paraguard.

References:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquarium_ich.html

Guest Mr Grump

I have spoken to the vet who needs to check with her colleagues. She is basically prescribing a controlled drug just on my say-so. She needs professionally to be able to justify the prescription. She will hopefully get back to me tomorrow. We have also asked her whether it is viable or useful to do any tests on poor little Peaches.

We have almost finished a 85% water change in the main tank, much to the disgust of the inhabitants. Just refilling now & getting up to temperature. We will then re-introduce Pumpkin, feed them all & add the Paraguard.

I have spoken to the vet who needs to check with her colleagues. She is basically prescribing a controlled drug just on my say-so. She needs professionally to be able to justify the prescription. She will hopefully get back to me tomorrow. We have also asked her whether it is viable or useful to do any tests on poor little Peaches.

We have almost finished a 85% water change in the main tank, much to the disgust of the inhabitants. Just refilling now & getting up to temperature. We will then re-introduce Pumpkin, feed them all & add the Paraguard.

Sounds good. Keep us updated on the meds :)

Guest Mr Grump

We have just re-introduced Pumpkin to the main tank & fed all the fish. Pumpkin was so happy, it was a joy to watch. We are about to dose the Paraguard.

Guest Mr Grump

Paraguard has been dosed, the fish didn't seem to notice. Pumpkin is running about having fun. I think she really missed the main tank. They have this game where they swim against the flow from the filter outlets.

The fish are still occasionally flashing & occasionally bottom sitting. I will contact the vet tomorrow to impress the urgency of the med food.

Sounds good!

I'm glad the vet is at least willing to try to work with you. Almost all of us are in the same situation, since aquatic vets are somewhat rare. I hope that you can get the metronidazole. :)

Guest Mr Grump

This morning the fish are all eating well. A few late risers, Pumpkin was behind another filter intake, but not head-down. She was late to rise. Also Basil (Panda) & Scarlett (Red Cap). A new late riser is Jasper a male Calico. All up & eating, The Red Cap has had some veins in her fins, looks a bit yellow.

This morning the fish are all eating well. A few late risers, Pumpkin was behind another filter intake, but not head-down. She was late to rise. Also Basil (Panda) & Scarlett (Red Cap). A new late riser is Jasper a male Calico. All up & eating, The Red Cap has had some veins in her fins, looks a bit yellow.

Is the belly of the red cap looking yellow?

Guest Mr Grump

Her belly does not look yellow, but her face, gills & tail fins have a yellow tinge. Her skin on her side where some scales were lost from mating looks yellow tinged.

The Calico male (Jasper) looks to have some horizontal veins/lines on one side of his body. They are 4 or 5 evenly spaced feint lines. Possibly following the line of his scales.

I am collecting the metro powder from the vet this afternoon.

We are going to send Peaches body for tests.

Guest Mr Grump

We are having issue getting the tank temperature past 22°C (71°F). This is because we underspecified that heater as it was only intended to keep the tank at 20°C.

If advised, we will buy a 2nd heater. For how long do we need to treat the tank with Paraguard?

Guest Mr Grump

The medicated food has now been made using Repashy Super Green as the base food. It is ready to be fed to them tonight.

We made up 100g of the Super Green which includes 0.5g of Wormer+ & 1g of Metromidazole.

We are about to do a gravel clean & small water change. I will try to increase the temperature.

Guest Mr Grump

They all ate the medicated Super green, not over enthusiastic about it, but it's also a new food for them.

I'm not sure when it happened, but the dorsal fin of every fish is flat & only rarely rising.

We have just done a gravel clean & 25% water change. We will replenish the Paraguard shortly.

The medicated food is a little less in quantity than we would normally feed. Can we occasionally feed special non-medicated treats such as SLC frozen brine shrimp, or the occasional NLS pellets as long as they have their regular quantity of meds first?

They all ate the medicated Super green, not over enthusiastic about it, but it's also a new food for them.

I'm not sure when it happened, but the dorsal fin of every fish is flat & only rarely rising.

We have just done a gravel clean & 25% water change. We will replenish the Paraguard shortly.

The medicated food is a little less in quantity than we would normally feed. Can we occasionally feed special non-medicated treats such as SLC frozen brine shrimp, or the occasional NLS pellets as long as they have their regular quantity of meds first?

You should only feed the medicated food for the next 2 weeks.

The clamped fins are normal with external parasites ;)