Tears in tail fin & white spots.

Guest Mr Grump

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom sitting is typical for fluke treatment and suggests that we are indeed treating for the right thing. Hang in there, they should perk up in a few days. How long is the course of treatment according to the directions on the package?

Guest Mr Grump

Thanks for your reply.

The treatment lasts for 4 days after which time the packaging claims that the medication bio-degrades in the water.

We are at day 2, I have come home for lunch to check the fish. 2 Pandas unwell, the female Calico, one of the red & whites are all bottom sitting. :(

I use Wormer Plus frequently, what you are describing seems normal to me, it does cloud the water for the first couple of days. :)

At first the fish bottom sit quite a lot, then after a few days they become much more active.

I always do a big water change after the four days is up.

:)

I use Wormer Plus frequently, what you are describing seems normal to me, it does cloud the water for the first couple of days.

At first the fish bottom sit quite a lot, then after a few days they become much more active.

I always do a big water change after the four days is up.

Thank you for your input Becs! :)

Guest Mr Grump

Thanks Tithra & Becs

We have enough Wormer+ for a good number of treatments. Perhaps 10 or so. The product is also suitable for Discus, which I will be getting soon in another tank.

Thanks Tithra & Becs

We have enough Wormer+ for a good number of treatments. Perhaps 10 or so. The product is also suitable for Discus, which I will be getting soon in another tank.

Okay, I would like you to plan to do 4-6 rounds (treatments) of the wormer plus. Multiple treatments are required to get flukes to a manageable level. So after your 4 days is up you can do a big water change on day 5, leave them be on day 6 (you can do a water change again if you like), then add the fluke treatment again on day 7. Repeat this schedule until you have added the meds 4-6 times.

Let me know if you have questions :) And do keep us updated on their behavior.

I wish I could find the video that one of our mods Stakos made of her fish being treated for flukes, it's pretty telling of how mopey they get, but all I could find is the picture:

prazianyone_zps752ee404.jpg

Guest Mr Grump

Day 3: This morning we still have a number of bottom sitters. Currently on the bottom are the 2 pandas, the female calico & a female red cap. On feeding, they all rise & eat a little apart from the female calico. She has not now eaten for 2 days. Her anus seems to be slightly protruding.

Guest Mr Grump

The other fish who are suffering from the Fluke treatment are settled flat on the floor. This fish however has her head on the ground & her bottom higher.

Guest Mr Grump

Further info.

The female calico did a good poop just now. Quite long & green in colour. She seems a little less bloated after this poop but is still feeling very unwell, sitting on the bottom & ignoring food. I am wondering if the white matter expanding from her anus is actually muscular tissue from constipation?

Guest Mr Grump

Tomorrow, the female calico (Peaches), our favourite fish will have been ill for 4 days. She has not eaten anything & hardly moved for 2 days. My inclination in the event of no other advice would be to water change 1 day early - Thursday afternoon. We are very concerned that we could lose her.

I discussed the vent with another member of the mod team and we are not seeing anything concerning regarding the vent in particular. Is there something particular that you are concerned about that perhaps we cannot see in the picture?

What are your water params looking like?

Guest Mr Grump

Thank you Tithra. I created a new thread for this issue as I thought that it may be different to the current on-going treatment. Would you rather that this issue be discussed in this thread?

She is the most friendly of our fish & therefore our favourite. Her behaviour is different to the others which are bottom sitting during the Fluke treatment. She has been bottom sitting constantly for 2 days with only occasional short trips when she is disturbed by another fish. She ignores all food where as the other bottom sitters all eventually move to eat something. The other bottom sitters will occasionally investigate the tank & then return after a few minutes to bottom sitting, where as she will not do so & stays in her place. We are especially concerned that she is not eating, but also concerned that her behaviour during treatment has been noticeably different to the others.

Thank you Tithra. I created a new thread for this issue as I thought that it may be different to the current on-going treatment. Would you rather that this issue be discussed in this thread?

She is the most friendly of our fish & therefore our favourite. Her behaviour is different to the others which are bottom sitting during the Fluke treatment. She has been bottom sitting constantly for 2 days with only occasional short trips when she is disturbed by another fish. She ignores all food where as the other bottom sitters all eventually move to eat something. The other bottom sitters will occasionally investigate the tank & then return after a few minutes to bottom sitting, where as she will not do so & stays in her place. We are especially concerned that she is not eating, but also concerned that her behaviour during treatment has been noticeably different to the others.

Go ahead and continue with the other thread :) I have alerted others on the mod team that you have made a separate thread for this fish.

Can you give me an update on the main tank here?

I saw that the fish in this tank are showing signs of ich now. Is salt at .3% and heat at 80F now?

Frequent water changes are good practice with ich along with lots of vacuuming of the gravel. This will help to reduce the number of free swimming parasites and cysts in the gravel.

Sorry you are going through all of this with such new fish :( Not a fun way to start the hobby. Have you contacted Star Farm by any chance to let them know of the issues you are experiencing with their fish?

Guest Mr Grump

We have been spending all today trying to save our little Peaches. At the moment, the main tank is not under any treatment but many of the fish are bottom sitting following the disastrous application of Wormer+. We need to try to save our remaining fish.

We are doing 40% water changes twice a week including full gravel vacuum. I don't think that water changes are our issue.

I'd like to make absolutely sure what we are treating for & what to expect. We will then water change the main tank & start treatment. I don't think Ick is our main problem at the moment, it is the bottom sitters & the reason they are doing it. If we take it that they are ill & that their immune system has been shot to hell by Wormer+, what could make them bottom sit? However unlike little Peaches they are still eating.

Would it be sensible to create a new thread for this or carry on here?

Here is a video of the light "dusting". This is also on Peaches. The dusting is most noticeable on a Chocolate. You will see some scale damage on her sides due to some rough mating last week.

When the fish first arrived, they were healthy & happy. I'm concerned that the almost constant treatment that I've been putting them through may have lowered their immunity? The main tank still has several bottom sitters 24 hours after the main tank was cleared of meds & salt.

Peaches did not show any interest in the frozen brine shrimp.

We have been spending all today trying to save our little Peaches. At the moment, the main tank is not under any treatment but many of the fish are bottom sitting following the disastrous application of Wormer+. We need to try to save our remaining fish.

We are doing 40% water changes twice a week including full gravel vacuum. I don't think that water changes are our issue.

I'd like to make absolutely sure what we are treating for & what to expect. We will then water change the main tank & start treatment. I don't think Ick is our main problem at the moment, it is the bottom sitters & the reason they are doing it. If we take it that they are ill & that their immune system has been shot to hell by Wormer+, what could make them bottom sit? However unlike little Peaches they are still eating.

Would it be sensible to create a new thread for this or carry on here?

I am not saying that water changes are your issue. I am saying that when treating for ich which has free swimming and cystic stages, extra water changes can help reduce the number of parasites in the tank and assist with treatment.

The video that you show above that shows a 'dusting' on the fish is ich and needs to be treated asap. The best treatment and gentlest treatment for this is .3% salt and turning heat to 80F as Alex stated in your other thread.

Your fish have parasites, both flukes/ich can both cause bottom sitting. Your fish were sent to with these issues (they don't crop up out of nowhere), which is why I would suggest contacting Star Farm. Without saying too much this would not be the first time fish have arrived from them in poor condition (although there are certainly lots of good reviews of them as well). They may have appeared fine initially, but these things show up soon after acquiring new fish. There is stress involved in being shipped/changing environments etc. This can lower immune system response and allow parasites that are already present to take hold.

Guest Mr Grump

OK, so we can continue in this thread?

Here is a video taken of the main tank about an hour ago. You will see the bottom sitting fish in the corners.

Last time we salted, the fish were unwell. Now the fish are very unwell & bottom sitting. I am only concerned about treating already ill fish & not making them even more ill. As we have already lost a fish & have other fish with the same symptoms, we are concerned that we want to do it right.

The Red Cap appears to have some red veins in her fins, is this also a symptom of Ich?

We can raise the temperature & start salting, we would want to do a water change first as their next change is due on Sunday. What sort of symptoms will we expect to see? How long should we salt for? If something goes wrong, we may need to act quickly & at the moment, we don't know what to expect or what to do if something happens. We need to make sure that we are not going to hurt any more fish.

Guest Mr Grump

I just wanted to check. We are treating with salt, is that correct? I thought I recalled that we would be treating the main tank with Metromidazole?

If we treat with salt & they have kidney problems from the Wormer+, would the salt not make it worse?

Edited by Mr Grump