Tears in tail fin & white spots.

Guest Mr Grump

Provide a pic and video of the chocolate and reconfirm the parameters of the tank you are concerned about putting the fish in. Prazi and salt are some of the gentler treatment options so usually conditions need to be severe or the age of the goldfish needs to be extreme in order for them to not be recommended.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr Grump

It is also possible that the fish may have swallowed some gravel. A few of the pops she did seemed to sink faster than normal. The gravel has very small rounded pellets about as close as you can get to being sand while still being gravel. The quarantine tank isn't cycled yet. We are currently doing a fishless cycle on it & probably have another week to go. Is that what you meant? We can't get Prazi here. I have aquarium salt in stock, Epsom salts are on order. We are working on a video now.

Oh right you're using fenbendazole, my apologies :) From what I know that is mild as well but I"m sure a mod will be ablong to confirm this information

Yes, the flubendazole is again another gentle med, just like prazi :)

All fish in the tank should be treated if you are treating for flukes, as fish can carry flukes without demonstrating symptoms. If you want to separate a certain fish you could certainly treat that fish separately in QT.

The salt will not hurt chocolate, but if you prefer to separate her to keep a close eye on her you can. Salt and fluke treatment is recommended for all new fish. The salt helps can ward off bacterial issues and some parasites, while the fluke treatment will treat potential flukes, which is a common issue with goldfish.

In terms of the QT not being cycled, if your main tank is cycled what you can do is steal a little cycled media from your main tank to seed your QT filter. A QT does not need to be set up all the time (I'm not sure that anyone here does this), instead I personally keep an extra bag of ceramic biomedia in my filter that I just grab when I need to set up a QT (then I replace it with a new one after it has been used in QT), an alternative would be to keep your QT running on your main tank at all times, then you just grab the whole filter when you need it.

It looks as though your gravel is pretty fine (almost a sand texture?) I do not see any cause for concern with the substrate based on the video. Goldfish will digest smaller substrate, this is not typically an issue and has even been proposed to assist with digestion :idont

Guest Mr Grump

Thank you

Today, the Chocolate is a little better. She moves a little smoother but is preferring to float & glide rather that "wriggle" everywhere as the others are doing this morning. There is some mating behaviour this morning with 3 males chasing a Chocolate Orange who has a few scales damaged now. This behaviour is not bothering the unwell Chocolate. Should we feed them this morning?

Guest Mr Grump

The Chocolate seems to be feeling better. The fish were fed peas this morning & the Chocolate had some too. She is a little quiet, but now comes to the side of the tank with the others when I go to see them. She is also swimming better today.

A Chocolate Orange has lost some more scales following some mating activity, but she seems well.

If the forum thinks it's ok, we will water change & then start the salting today. The Wormer+ has not yet arrived.

Guest Mr Grump

We did a 40% water change & the tank has now been salted to 0.1%. One of the fish kept going to the surface but seems to have got used to it now. The Chocolate with possible constipation is now back to normal.

The salt seems to have encourage a lot of pooping. Does it have a laxative effect?

We did a 40% water change & the tank has now been salted to 0.1%. One of the fish kept going to the surface but seems to have got used to it now. The Chocolate with possible constipation is now back to normal.

The salt seems to have encourage a lot of pooping. Does it have a laxative effect?

Epsom salt has a laxative effect, but I don't believe regular salt has any laxative qualities.

Guest Mr Grump

Thanks

All fish seem well today. The Wormer+ may arrive by post this afternoon. Do we follow the instructions on the packet?

There are a number of eggs dotted around the tank. They are noticably bigger than yesterday. Will they be eaten, or are we going to get another 20 little Orandas?

If they haven't eaten the eggs by now, they may not. However, even if they make it to fry, unless there are many hiding places in the tank, they may not live long.

Yes, please follow the directions on the packet. What percentage salt are you at?

Spawning can take a toll on water quality quickly so you may want to do a water change ;) If you are looking to keep any fry you'll want to remove the eggs from the main tank.

Guest Mr Grump

Understood. We can't change the water yet as we are salting, the tank is over filtered & TDS is currently at 120ppm. Ammonia/Nitrite constantly at 0/0.

Salt is currently at 0.15%, we have been gradually adding it in a total of 3 lots so far, due to some of the fish being distressed. We have stopped at the moment because it seems to be as much as 2 of the fish can take. They were constantly going to the surface. The Wormer+ has not yet arrived.

We are over stocked as it is, so we can't take any fry unfortuately. We turned down a buyer last night as they wanted to keep them in a pond. (6 of the fish are for sale).

We are testing 0.25ppm for ammonia today. We will have to do a water change.

Can salt affect the filters or increase ammonia?

My guess is this is a result of the spawning activity ;)

Guest Mr Grump

Results are now consistenly at 0/0 for ammonia & nitrite. the Wormer+ arrived today so treatment has started after we confirmed that ammonia was zero again. A couple of the fish appear a little unhappy in the treatment. The biggest male was doing some strange twitching, but only 2 or 3 times & then stopped. I understand that we can't water change for 4 days.

Fish can sometimes react poorly to fluke treatment initially, particularly those who may be heavily affected. Things tend to get worse before they get better.

Can your cycle handle 4 days without a water change?

Guest Mr Grump

There is a good chance that we can last 4 days with no water change, as long as they don't start mating behaviour.

The Red Cap has gone a bit pinkish in colour around her fins, she also did a bit f the weird jerking movements just now. The big Calico male appears to be calmer now. While havign our evenign meal, we had the lights off in the room with the tank. When going back into the rom we turned the room light on low & all the fish woke up after having a sleep. They rose up & all did their usual stuff apart from a male Panda. he rose from the substrate a little, but has sat back down on the substrate. No other signs I can see. Could be a touch of constipation again, I don't know. What type of behaviour can we expect?

Guest Mr Grump

This morning, we have 5 fish still ont the substrate. The two male pandas not moving, female calico, red & white & one of the chocolates. They don't look at all well. The male panda is not moving at all.

The 5 still fish are all in a back corner under a filter intake.

Guest Mr Grump

After an hour, most of the fish had moved, aart from the 2 male pandas & the female calico. We fed them some pellets, after a while, the 2 pandas ate a little, but not the female calico. I decided to take a short film of her & after less than a minute, she swam off a little & settled again on the other side of the heater. This allowed us to clean out the corner of the last night's debris. She has now gone back to the corner & is sitting on the substrate again. She has been joined by the 2 male pandas who are also sitting on the substrate close to the corner, next to the hear & under a filter intake.