Tears in tail fin & white spots.

Guest Mr Grump

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr Grump

Basil is the same this morning. We left the med food in the tank hoping that he would try some, but it's still there now. We will remove that now & put in a few fresh pieces. Basil is bottom sitting in the front corner by the filter. He looks to have remained there all night. He did not rise to greet us.

Still full pine-coning & popeye. No change. This is now 1 day with no food.

Edited by Mr Grump

Guest Mr Grump

After a lot of coaxing, Basil has now slightly perked up & eaten his breakfast, which is half of his med food.

This means that he missed half of his med food yesterday. We fed him his 2nd meal yesterday after the 100% water change. He finds this extremely stressful. This evening, we will feed him before his water change.

Guest Mr Grump

We fed Basil a little of his dinner for lunch time so that we could get some more meds in him in case he didn't eat in the evening. He ate his lunch & went back into his corner bottom sitting. We fed his dinner earlier than usual & he ate it all. We then did a 100% water change & re-dosed the quarter teaspoon of Epsom salts. Tank temperature is 26°C & we have also added a small airstone (on low power) along with the aerating filter. Basil's appearance is still 100% pine coning & popeye. He bottom sits most of the time, but does occasionally come to greet us, abut 10% of the times we visit him. He is still eating & we love him very much. He's going through such a lot.

Guest Mr Grump

Late this evening, Basil has come off the bottom to see us & has been swimming around for a while with us. He does now tend to be at the surface which has the appearance of being a development for the worse.

Guest Mr Grump

Basil ate his med food this morning. He is now on the bottom behind the filter. He does react when we come to see him, but does not come out to greet us. He is still very bloated & pine-coned.

Edited by Mr Grump

Guest Mr Grump

We are on day 4 of the Epsom salt treatment. Basil ate his med food again lunch time & evening. He is bottom sitting in the corner most of the time & comes out only very occasionally. He was breathing a little faster yesterday, but this seems back to normal today. His pine coning is still as bad as ever & under some of the raised scales, there seems to be a white/pink fluid. Also he has some pink marks on his body & possibly a few small white bits. We don't think it's Ich, but could be some other issue. We have a few photos that I'd appreciated if you could check.

Basil070213a_zpsda00580f.jpgBasil070213f_zps6d1f1059.jpgBasil070213e_zpsd093dcc2.jpgBasil070213d_zpsad262f2d.jpgBasil070213c_zps50c89cde.jpgBasil070213b_zps7197bde2.jpg

Guest Mr Grump

Day 5 of the Epsom salt treatment.

Basil is looking the same & was bottom sitting in the corner as usual. I turned on his tank lights & he got up & came to the front to greet me & started looking for food. I fed him his med lunch a little early & he ate it all. I turned out the tank lights & he continued swimming around the tank for 20 mins while I sat with him. he has now gone back to bottom sit in his corner again. This amount of activity from Basil is a small improvement.

First video:

Second video:

Guest Mr Grump

Basil is still eating well. Bottom sits much of the time but does come out to investigate the tank. As suggested by Helen, during this evening's water change, I gently stroked Basil's undersides which felt firm. I also gently tested again just before returning him to the tank to make sure. As suggested, we are on a half a teaspoon of Epsom salts for today.

I'm sorry to see that Basil's pineconing hasn't gone down yet. You are doing everything you can right now. I'm glad he is at least eating well, make sure he gets 1% of his body weight in the med food a day

Guest Mr Grump

Basil ate most of his med food this morning, but has now gone back to his bottom sitting corner. There is a tiny amount of food left in the tank. He has not pooped again. His med food is made of Metro, peas, carrot, beans, spinach. We would like to feed him a little bit of regular pea along with his med lunch today. Although his med food is made of peas, I wonder if the fibre has been broken down & doesn't work so well. Basil has not had any protein for 4 days now because his med food is entirely veggie.

Guest Mr Grump

Basil's swelling has slightly reduced although he still has 100% pine coning. His deep black colouring has gone very light grey looking & he seems to have a thicker than normal slime coat. There was no poop. He was not so active at lunchtime as he was yesterday, but ate his med food, we also give him a quarter pea afterwards to try to encourage pooping. He is now back to bottom sitting in his corner.

Guest Mr Grump

Basil is bottom sitting, although does rise sometimes when we sit with him. He has done a long stringy poop, but will not eat this evening, so has missed 1/3 of his med food. His swelling has reduced a little more, pine coning is still 100% but we appears more unwell than before. We did the usual 100% water change & Epsom salts are back to a quarter teaspoon.

Guest Mr Grump

Basil's swelling has gone down a little more this morning. He was not bottom sitting, but was at the top of the tank in the corner. He is a little more active & took a piece of his med food. He seemed to chew & kept it in his mouth for several minutes, but then spat it out almost whole. It was a small piece, but we are now trying tiny pieces. he seems to be more tired than before.

We think that although he is a little interested in the food, he may have trouble swallowing.

This is day 7 of his Epsom treatment.

Edited by Mr Grump

• Supporter

Mr Grump explained to me a euth attempt. after the recommended dose of clove oil was given, Basil decided to stick around. so Mr Grump placed Basil back into the tank and he's still with us :heart Basil is not ready to go, so we will continue to fight with him :heart :heart

tomorrow is Basil's last day of Epsom.

Mr Grump will try to syringe feed Basil his meds in hope that this will ecourage him to consume food naturally again. tomorrow, the Epsom will stop. we will give a 2 day break from the Epsom and if Basil still has the will to fight, we will revisit thoughts of more Epsom treatment as he is still with popeye and extreme swelling.

Guest Mr Grump

Basil's swelling is going down quite fast, he still has popeye & pine coning. Under the remaining swelling, we can see that Basil is thin & weak. The syringing is having minimal effectiveness. Can we attempt to syringe a solution of his metro into his mouth? I'm thinking that if we made a metro solution or just metro & filtered water, that we may get a better percentage of metro into him? At the moment, he is getting trace amounts at best.

Guest Mr Grump

Basil is in a bad way again. His swelling looks to be gone & his pine coning has receded. His popeye looks much better. If there is no swelling, what effect are the Epsom salts having on basil? Should we water change again to no Epsom salts?

• Admin

Basil is in a bad way again. His swelling looks to be gone & his pine coning has receded. His popeye looks much better. If there is no swelling, what effect are the Epsom salts having on basil? Should we water change again to no Epsom salts?

can you get us photos :)

• Admin

Poor little Basil has gone. We loved you so much little Basil. We are sorry that we couldn't help you.

im so sorry sometimes there just isnt anything we can do ... just his time to go... :(