Super glue for a rock ornament?

I was thinking I would replace my rock ornament because I have scrubbed it so many times the color has faded.

I thought I would make sort of an arch with large to medium sized river rocks but am wondering if super glue will be strong enough to attach the rocks together? Or if there is another product I should use instead?

I'm not certain if it would support an arch, however, you can use hot glue from a glue gun. Once the glue has cured its a pretty harmless plastic. :)

An epoxy might not be a bad idea. Super glue might hold the rocks but it does break down over time in the water, so it wouldn't hold your rocks for very long.

Or you could import Mr. B. He's a great rock stacker. :D

I don't think super glue would be strong enough. I use it to attach my Anubias to river rocks, and it's not uncommon that they fall off. Rocks would require a lot more strength vs plants. :(

Maybe there's some other type of adhesvent that is aquarium safe? That would look so pretty if it is possible! :)

I'm not certain if it would support an arch, however, you can use hot glue from a glue gun. Once the glue has cured its a pretty harmless plastic. :)

This is good to know. I have a glue gun, I had no idea you could use the glue in an aquarium. I probably would've used that instead of superglue on my plants to attach them to rocks.

I don't think super glue would be strong enough. I use it to attach my Anubias to river rocks, and it's not uncommon that they fall off. Rocks would require a lot more strength vs plants. :(

Maybe there's some other type of adhesvent that is aquarium safe? That would look so pretty if it is possible! :)

Its funny because just today, two of my smaller rhizhomed anubias came unglued from their rocks. I had to use super glue gel to re-attach them and cure it in water for awhile. I agree though, I think rocks would require alot more strength.

An epoxy might not be a bad idea. Super glue might hold the rocks but it does break down over time in the water, so it wouldn't hold your rocks for very long.

I can envision stacks of stones. Hey, thats not a bad idea for a decoration either!

I was just looking at stuff on Big Als, and it looks like there is a variety of stuff (Epoxy etc)

http://www.bigalspet...at=313&limit=48

Thanks! Looks like epoxy is my best bet for stone as it says you can use it on slate, stone etc to build cliffs, steps and similar.

I'd say use silicone!

Is there a special kind for this type of aquarium use? I don't know much about silicone.

I like to use Aqueon brand silicone, but DAP makes a smaller multipurpose silicone that is safe for aquarium use which you could find at home depot or lowes. Alternately most petcos and petsmarts sell aquarium sealant (aka silicone) in small tubes.

• Supporter

here's another wiki fact on epoxy "Epoxies typically are not used in the outer layer of a boat because they deteriorate by exposure to UV light."

i think because our UV lights are in chambers and the water runs through those rather than the UV light hitting the direct adhesive that it will make a difference in an aquarium.. but i just thought to post this fact here incase it's a decider to your purchase.

in all honesty, i don't see why you would need to use anything other than an aquarium safe silcone. you should be able to pick those up at LFS or LPS.

I've made a slate arch for one of my tanks with silicon to "glue" it. I just got the small tubes from the hardware store.... just read the label to make sure it says aquarium safe. Most of them are, if they are clear. Hot glue becomes brittle and falls apart in the water. Also- use a pop/soda/coke can or bottle to support the middle, if it seems like it is going to cave in on you... then take it out after the silicon cures (about 24 hrs), and it should stand on its own.

GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to see pics!

Edited by JamieMonster

I've made a slate arch for one of my tanks with silicon to "glue" it. I just got the small tubes from the hardware store.... just read the label to make sure it says aquarium safe. Most of them are, if they are clear. Hot glue becomes brittle and falls apart in the water. Also- use a pop/soda/coke can or bottle to support the middle, if it seems like it is going to cave in on you... then take it out after the silicon cures (about 24 hrs), and it should stand on its own.

Don't supposed you have a photo of this arch? would love to see it! Thanks for the tip on the middle support.

• Admin

:lol3

Don't supposed you have a photo of this arch? would love to see it! Thanks for the tip on the middle support.

The one I have now is smaller, and it has support in the middle. I have made them open in the middle, though. I don't have a pic off hand, but I may be able to take one, if my camera cooperates!

Lay the cans/bottles on their side & build around them. Use a LOT of silicon between the supporting rocks if it is going to be something that has a lot of open space in the middle. If it oozes out the sides when you set them together, it is easy to wipe some off, and you don't see it too much under the water. Just remember to keep the base stones larger than the upper stones, and center everything over the supports, so it doesn't topple over when the can/bottle is removed from the middle. Keep the weight centered, with solid "feet" to stand on, and you should be good to go!

These pics are far from clear, but the shale wall I built is a little visible in the background, to the left and behind the dragon... It is half moon shaped, and proabably about 13" long, whren you see the whole thing. No big opening, to make an arch, but there are a bunch of small openings between the rocks. Not too clear in these pics, though, as it isn't the subject of the photos, and the background is dark.

DSCI0131-1_zpsdb94c962.jpg

DSCI0111-1_zps8191764d.jpg

DSCI0150-1_zps9a5db3ea.jpg