winter pictures of my pond

DieselPlower

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like your hole is getting smaller :o

Yeah for sure! But it is going to warm up soon so im not too worried.

:rofl Just saw the video of you jumping in!! :rofl

I couldnt resist. I had just filled it with well water so it was pretty cold!

Welcome to Michigan hahaha. We are actually WAY below our average snow amount right now. I had to plow the street, my neighbors driveway, and half my lawn to get that much snow. Hahahaha

• Admin

Welcome to Michigan hahaha. We are actually WAY below our average snow amount right now. I had to plow the street, my neighbors driveway, and half my lawn to get that much snow. Hahahaha

you can keep the snow :P

Nah. Its supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow but 30s wednesday and back to the 20s thursday. I dont wanna disrupt things. I will take a water temp measurement though, for kicks. I dont think it will get to 45 even.

Edited by DieselPlower

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks I wanted to do a quick update. I got a new phone and am having trouble figuring out the copy paste function off of photobucket so sorry for no new pics. Anyway, there has been many cold days and some decent snow falls. The hole has stayed open at least the size of a basketball. The one time I though it covered over it was really just blowing snow that stuck together and formed an arch over the top of the opening, so I would say that it still stayed open, at the hole was very porous and I have no doubt that the air/gas exchange was still able to happen no problem. So, for anyone wondering what to do with their pond over the winter... if you pond is similar to mine, this idea will work. Cheers.

• Admin

Hey folks I wanted to do a quick update. I got a new phone and am having trouble figuring out the copy paste function off of photobucket so sorry for no new pics. Anyway, there has been many cold days and some decent snow falls. The hole has stayed open at least the size of a basketball. The one time I though it covered over it was really just blowing snow that stuck together and formed an arch over the top of the opening, so I would say that it still stayed open, at the hole was very porous and I have no doubt that the air/gas exchange was still able to happen no problem. So, for anyone wondering what to do with their pond over the winter... if you pond is similar to mine, this idea will work. Cheers.

PM Alex about the phone thing.. hes good with that :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

This was so helpful! I have been wondering what to use in winter to keep the ice from freezing, but didn't want to keep the big pump running or buy a de-icer. A small water fall pump looks like it works wonderful!! What a great thread!