winter pictures of my pond

DieselPlower

I wonder what i should do if it freezes all the way over? I think i will leave it for a while to see what happens. The pond is pretty big so i think they will be ok for a bit.

Edited by DieselPlower

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a nice pond. Why are you not using a heater? I've seen ponds in that cold temps and be clear, moving and warm. You need to add a heater. Lakes are different and deeper. Ponds are smaller and not deep. This is stressful for them. Could you add a heater?

That is a nice pond. Why are you not using a heater? I've seen ponds in that cold temps and be clear, moving and warm. You need to add a heater. Lakes are different and deeper. Ponds are smaller and not deep. This is stressful for them. Could you add a heater?

It's neither practical nor necessary to add a heater to that pond, unless DP is a trillionaire. :rofl

I think the first order of business is making sure there is at least a small hole in the ice at all times, to keep the water with a good amount of aeration.

No im sure not a trillionaire! Close, but not quite. Jk!

The pond is nearly 5' deep and over 1500 gallons so i really dont want to heat it.

Dnalex do you think i should have used an aerator instead of a water pump? I thought about it but didnt want to use one because i was worried about the air line getting moisture is it and freezing. I also didnt want to introduce the super cold air into the pond water.

Heating ponds is necessary when dealing with bitter winters in the canadian prairies but the mild winters of michigan shouldn't be a concern for heat with a pond that is over 3ft deep. As long as there is surface movement there is gas exchange, some people do run an aerator instead of a pump but I think that's more to protect the pump since they are more expensive equipment. Also remember that the cooler the water the greater the dissolved oxygen so a little bit goes a long way :)

Edit: Invest in a poking stick to keep your hole from freezing over. It works wonders! :rofl

Edited by bodoba

My geekiness has reached an all new high. I'm enthralled with the hole in your pond. What will happen next???? :popcorn

:rofl

It's been pretty bitter but we are warming up. It's 8* where I am. But it's supposed to get to the 20s.

DP, when you do become a trillionaire please remember the other West Michigan members and come build us beautiful ponds like yours!! :teehee

Interesting development today! The hole was totally covered over but i could clearly hear the water running underneath. I got my net and gently poked the area with the handle. A huge hole opened up. Turns out all the blowing snow had just covered the area but it wasnt solid at all!

2013-01-23_10-09-10_667.jpg

2013-01-23_10-10-54_616.jpg

Edited by DieselPlower

What do you mean? Heaters don't cost much. A friend sent me a chart about heating percentage, but its on comp. I would say two largest heaters and it will keep stable since water temp don't change fast. It be work to heat up now but it be smooth sailing after a few days. So I don't understand why would one to be rich?

DP now that you have found a way to keep a hole in your surface from icing over you are satisfied with how your wintering has been going?

I believe this was fun informative pictures when you started the thread and I will check by often to find some more fun pictures :) I also use the handle of my pond net as my poking stick :rofl

Ok im sorry but there is a big difference in heating 1500 gallons of water in OK and MI. I couldnt keep the water that warm w 50 heaters.

What about 300w heaters? Two of them? 50w is too weak.

But anyway, its up to ya, ur more experienced. I would be worried sick to death. LoL

I think he was saying he couldn't keep it warm WITH 50 heaters, not with a 50 watt heater. :o Big difference . . .

DP now that you have found a way to keep a hole in your surface from icing over you are satisfied with how your wintering has been going?

I believe this was fun informative pictures when you started the thread and I will check by often to find some more fun pictures :) I also use the handle of my pond net as my poking stick :rofl

Yes so far i feel like it is working great. I think the pump i am using is about 300 gallons per hour. Seems about right so far.

I think he'd need a lot of heaters to warm 1500 gallons to 70-74* when it's about 8* outside. :yikes

Oh shakaho, your words of wisdom would be great right about now. :teehee

Why in the world would anyone want to heat a pond to such temperatures in the winter? You could buy a huge indoor set up with what you spent on electricity over one winter. Heating is extremely wasteful of electricity. Northern pond goldfish live longer than those in the south because (in effect) some of the time spent "dormant" under ice isn't subtracted from their life span. Southern fishes grow faster and die younger. The most serious problems with feral goldfish are in the northern states. Goldfish originated in a temperate climate. They evolved living under ice in the winter. Fancy goldfish are less tolerant of cold, but breeders of fine fancy goldfish frequently put their fish outdoors in cold tanks (sometimes under ice) for at least part of the winter. This stimulates prompt spawning upon warming.

Do you have any more pix? You're gonna be one of a few to consult with when I get my pond set up. Will pick an apt that will allow me landscaping.

Yes here is a link to another thread with more pictures.

2013-01-23_10-10-54_616.jpg

Shoot thats not right. Im on my cell doing this. Ill try to fix from my computer later.

Edited by DieselPlower

• Admin

It's neither practical nor necessary to add a heater to that pond, unless DP is a trillionaire. :rofl

I think the first order of business is making sure there is at least a small hole in the ice at all times, to keep the water with a good amount of aeration.

Dude a heater in that pond WOW... cost way to much.... :bingo:

Heating ponds is necessary when dealing with bitter winters in the canadian prairies but the mild winters of michigan shouldn't be a concern for heat with a pond that is over 3ft deep. As long as there is surface movement there is gas exchange, some people do run an aerator instead of a pump but I think that's more to protect the pump since they are more expensive equipment. Also remember that the cooler the water the greater the dissolved oxygen so a little bit goes a long way :)

Edit: Invest in a poking stick to keep your hole from freezing over. It works wonders! :rofl

... "mild winters of Michigan"? :cold: I guess everything is relative, lol. It's 79 here today. I would consider that a "mild winter" :rofl