winter pictures of my pond

DieselPlower

I wanted to start a thread with pics of my pond this Winter for a couple of reasons....

So i could see how the ice changed and so other people can get an idea of what happens as well.

There is a pump shooting water straight up in the area where there is no ice. It is about 1.5 feet under the water. Although, it is drawing water in from about 1 foot deep since it is inside a filter container that draws water in from the top. The top of the nozzle is about 6" under water.

Current temp is about 20* and it has been cold like this for a good while now.

I am also just hoping some of the pics will look cool as the water flow may create interesting ice shapes. Who knows...

photobucket-20245-1357316036423.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ought to be fun to watch; it'll be interesting to see the evolution of the ice.

Yeah for sure. I wish i had started it sooner. The water froze near the top of the picture first, where the water was deepest and the is the least amount of current / surface agitation from the pump. It is supposed to be above freezing a few days in the near future so hopefully the opening will enlarge.

How many fish are in there, Jason? Can you see them? Do they swim around?

There is about 30 fish in there. I cant see any of them right now. I believe they are all towards the bottom of the deep end, which is totally covered.

I want to point out that the reason i decided to put the pump on the 1.5 foot shelf is because i wanted to leave the deepest part undisturbed. I have read that at 39* water will sink to the bottom and anything colder will rise to the top. I feel that if i were to send the warmest water to the top with the pump, soon all the water would be just above 32*, which is harder on the fish than if they are able to stay in 39* water at the bottom.

Heat wave expected around the middle of the week . . . Up to the mid forties in the Grand Rapids area. I guess I don't remember if you're around here, or is it Kalamazoo? :idont

Either way things should be warming up a bit.