Help with new tank stand- Not supportive

Narny105

I just picked up my new tank, and I am happy with it. The tank itself needs a good scrubbing and they kindly left the sand in there for me :P I can't lift it so it is staying in the car overnight until my brother can help :P

Only issue is that the stand does not support the tank properly, so I need some wood to go over it. I was given some foam for it but I'm not happy with it. Should ply wood be ok? I'm not setting it up for a while since I want to stain the wood, so I have plenty of time to sort it out.

I was a little disappointing with the lighting he gave me, considering it was not attached to the hood, however I am hoping to attach my current lighting onto the hood. The tank itself has glass sliding lids on the top, so lighting can also sit on top of the glass.

Here's pictures of the stand

y6umujyn.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Narny105

Alex, we are in something of the same position. I too purchased a used tank that needs a bit of work to be completely functional. The stand that came with ours was not fully supporting in just your way. I fixed a wooden bar lengthwise down the middle and then used ... plywoodish .. stuff to fill the space above the bars. The plywood was very rigid and seems to fully support the weight of the filled tank.

We chose not to take the lighting offered with the tank because it was very old and seemed almost dangerous. Still working on lighting.

Good luck with your project and let us see your progress!

Thanks, I am going to probably go with mds instead of plywood after talking with my brother. The tank lighting it came with is ok for a QT tank, but not something I would want to use on it. I didn't even notice how it was supported until I got home, but still, it's looking like a good tank :) I'm also having a balancing issue. Our floors are not completely level so it's not sitting flat, so I'll have to sort that out too.

This is completely unrelated but your "couch" looks beautiful.

Congrats on the new tank and stuff! :D Just curious, what exactly is the issue with the lighting?

but the back of the couch is completely ruined from cat claws :rofl

Thanks! I'm moderately happy with it, but that's mainly because it's my first 2nd hand tank and there's work to be done :P The lighting is quite poor, and smaller than 2ft. I didn't plan on using it for the tank in the long run anyway, but a little disappointing.

I am happy with the size though, so hopefully I will have it completed and set up within a month, since I want to stain the wood, clean the glass properly, and level it out on the ground. I also got given a pretty good canister filter much larger than my current one, so I'm happy with that! It probably hasn't been cleaned for the year it's been running though, since it stank when I opened it and the tubing is covered in grime. Going to cost me more than I anticipated, but I still think it was a good deal for the price:)

Congratulations on your new tank! I can't wait to see it set up.

Maybe ask around and find out the thickness of wood that you'd need to support the full tank bottom. To do that, though, you'd have to know how much the tank holds.

Also, I thought only acrylic tanks needed a full bottom? A lot of the tank stands that I was looking into are made just like yours, and they said "for glass tanks only".

My main worry is with the amount of water I take out (on this tank I would be doing 50% water changes at a time) that the weight fluctuation will put too much pressure overtime on the glass and cause it to crack over time. The foam that I was given, although absorbs things such as nail bumps, etc, isn't sufficient enough for myself to feel comfortable setting it up as is. the tank alone on top of the stand without foam would cause it to crack :)

We have some pine wood left over from renovations so I am going to use that to put another bracket next to the one that's currently there, and possibly one across like motherredcap did on hers, although mds should be sufficient enough without it since it's pretty strong. I personally would prefer a proper tank bottom, but that's why I am wanting some advice :)

Acrylic tanks do need a full bottom and glass tanks can do fine with just a supportive frame, but I have hesitations filling a tank with this sort of support :( A few more brackets and I wouldn't have need worry

Is the bottom of the tank completely flat? Most glass tanks here don't need support because they aren't flat on the bottom, so the glass wouldn't rest on a stand anyway -- only the plastic rim touches the stand.

Is the bottom of the tank completely flat? Most glass tanks here don't need support because they aren't flat on the bottom, so the glass wouldn't rest on a stand anyway -- only the plastic rim touches the stand.

To build on what Shawn said, you can actually damage a glass tank of this build type by "supporting" the bottom. What does the bottom of the tank look like?

Ours has no rim and I can't really see how extra support would be bad in this case. By the way, every time I see the title of this thread, I feel that we are not properly supporting Alex and his tank choices rather than the stand supporting tank itself. ;)

Ours has no rim and I can't really see how extra support would be bad in this case. By the way, every time I see the title of this thread, I feel that we are not properly supporting Alex and his tank choices rather than the stand supporting tank itself. ;)

:rofl

Narny, I wouldn't use MDF for a tank stand. I would use plywood or wood because they are more moisture resistant. And let's face, it will get wet. We all spill. :)

Edit: I just realized that you said MDS. Are we talking about the same thing?

Edited by ShawneeRiver

In case you didn't know, or haven't figured it out, shop light is an alternative and inexpensive way to replace your current light. It is about $15-$20 here for a 4 feet hood, and it is a 2 light system. All you need to do is plug your favorite light strip in and you're good to go. You can either hang the light above from the ceiling, or sit it on your tanks canopy.

Thanks Alvin. I was thinking of using my current lighting on my blue planet tank and attaching it to the wooden top. It's screw in so it would fit well and should be plenty of lighting for this tank if I put them side by side :)

yzepabad.jpg

Ok, if its supportive enough I won't worry about it. It just doesn't seem enough to me, but I know little about structural. I still want to add in some brackets length wise like motherredcap has done. Couldn't hurt to have that little extra support, and I have the pine wood available :)

I would also agree with Shawn to not us MDF. It swells when it gets wet and if it gets too wet it will start to dissolve (because of the glue and it being made from just saw dust) I would say to use good plywood (which is what is under both of my tanks :) )

Here's what I have just done. Just as extra support, I added in some timber.

bymytujy.jpg

And here's the tank, complete with a fork. I took the glass slides off the top, and the siliconing looks good so a clean is all that's needed.

a3ypu5y3.jpg

As for the bottom of the tank, it is very thick glass and only plastic rimming around the sides to protect the corners. 8u7abe9a.jpg

So, no plywood board needed?

Thanks for the help guys! Hopeless with this stuff :P

Edited by Narny105
Fixed up images

The stand looks fine. The weight of the tank is being supported by the 2x4's. The wood frame around the bottom of the tank isn't really doing much to support the tank but mostly just holding the 2x4's in place and giving the tank a nice frame to sit in. The stand should be fine as it is but you can cut a piece of plywood to fit under the tank if it makes you more comfortable. I don't know why the foam under the tank would be needed but if it needs foam under the tank get some plywood.