Question about repashy

xjasminex

First I do love this stuff and my fish go crazy for it. I've made it 3 times so they've probably been eating it almost a month. I have noticed that my fish have gotten bigger bellies after eating and 2 of my fish keep swimming with their rears trying to float up. One almost sits completely vertical. They swim around normal and everything seems normal except when they stop swimming their booty goes right up. Could this food be causing them gas? I'm thinking of fasting them. It's also the only food I've been feeding them and I haven't seen them poop! Could this food cause constipation?? Some poop I see on the ground looks hollow in places? There is one fish "going" now its not one of the floaties but it seems stuck. Anyone seeing this with feeding repashi..? Maybe I'm feeding too much..

Tiffany, that doesn't sound right. Please give them each a pea to half a pea with Epsom in it, but otherwise do not feed them anything else, including Repashy. If you still don't see poop, please start a thread about it.

I'll give them some peas today this morning only one seems to be doing it. I didn't feed them last night like usual the two that weren't having problems are both pooping but it's stuck so I do think they're constipated I just don't know why if I'm feeding this food :(

Tiffany, I saw something slightly like this with Newton last night after 2 meals. It wasn't as dramatic as what you were reporting but the fish was not moving the same way in the water. I am 100% sure that I overdid the repashy repast. I think the repashy is denser than the pellets and scraps he's been getting. Peas tonight and a smaller chunk of repashy tomorrow.

How much are you both feeding, and how old/big are your fish?

Repashy Soilent Green is SUPER nutritious, which is great, but I think it can cause issues if it's introduced too suddenly or in too high of quantities. Just like a dog or cat, I would start feeding small bits along with their old food and gradually work your way up over the course of a few weeks.

Also keep in mind that some fish can have extra sensitive digestive systems compared to others, just like any other living creature. The high protein amounts could be too much for them. Just try reducing the amount you feed, and slowly feed more until you find a balance that works for you and your fish. :)

I did use less water this time but still fed the same amount. I think my little piggies eat until they're miserable instead of letting it alone for leftovers. My only problem is my dojo loach likes to get a piece and my bristle nose pleco so if I put too little between the 4 goldfish they destroy it in a minute. I might have to give each a pinch and hand feed. My ranchu that's in his own tank looks pretty fat too but he's always pooping. I find him every morning in his "spot" practically sitting in the most poop ive ever seen (good looking poop tho haha) when he wakes up and swims around it all disappears. I'm going to get them some nice veggies today and take it easy on how much I'm feeding the rapashi. Oh! Maybe the 2 floaty fish are eating most of the cube and not letting the others get as much. I'll have to break it into pieces and make sure everyone's getting equal amounts.

I personally cut mine into bite sized cubes, so each fish grabs one and then cannot get another because their mouth is full. Maybe drop in enough for each fish to do this? I usually don't let them eat more than one mouthful, and if I want to feed more I just feed them another mouthful in an hour or so. :)

Oh, I clearly overfed. Newton is very near the kitchen and in a normal day he gets Hikari pellets and then little bits of this and that from the days meals (steamed or boiled and cooled). He is always eating but always small amounts. We got the repashy from TW and cooked up a batch - 1 tblsp powder 2 tblsp water.

What fun! Dumped a mouthfull in the tank and he gobbled. How 'bout another? And so on without thinking about it. He's fine but he was swimming differently and was constipated. We will now all behave ourselves with more restraint.

Haha, it is so easy to do when feeding them is so fun! I think some people feed a few mouthfuls at a time with no issues, so don't be afraid to try more if they appear to handle it well. I just love to feed tiny meals every hour or so when I'm home, since this is a more natural way for them eat. Plus, I just really like to feed them. :teehee

Repashy is one part powder to three parts water, so next time you can try it with three tablespoons water if you want a softer consistency. I'm sure it's fine how you made it but keep in mind it holds more nutrition per bite with less water. :)

Whoa I have definitely been giving too much! They get a mouth full on the way floating down! And then maybe 3 more after that :s

Sometimes as I'm about to drop some in they scramble so fast to the top I can hear smacking at the surface!

LOL! They must be happy fish! :feedme

Remember to still go with Alex's advice first and feed a pea with Epsom. This will help to clear up any possible constipation that could be going on, while helping you be sure constipation is indeed the issue.

If they begin having normal bowel movements again, I would start feeding much smaller amounts for a few days and slowly bring up the amount until you feel they are getting enough food while having a healthy and functioning digestive system.

The way I always think about feeding, is to do my best to mimic the way they would naturally be eating in the wild. Goldfish are omnivorous foragers, meaning they scour the bottom of lakes/ponds where they live eating small amounts of plant matter and algae all day, with the occasional crustacean, bug, worm, etc. This is why they do so well with greens in their diet, and why Soilent Green is a good match especially for very young fish who benefit from the high protein amounts.

There have been some recent discussions about feeding another type of Repashy in addition (or even in place of Soilent Green in mature fish) called Super Green. This is a 100% plant based gel, much like Soilent Green but without the animal protein sources. I recently ordered some and will be feeding it along with Soilent Green, and will make sure to update everyone with how my fish like it along with any beneficial changes I observe. It's something to definitely keep in mind, especially if your fish is having possible sensitivities to the high protein in Soilent Green. :)

First I do love this stuff and my fish go crazy for it. I've made it 3 times so they've probably been eating it almost a month. I have noticed that my fish have gotten bigger bellies after eating and 2 of my fish keep swimming with their rears trying to float up. One almost sits completely vertical. They swim around normal and everything seems normal except when they stop swimming their booty goes right up. Could this food be causing them gas? I'm thinking of fasting them. It's also the only food I've been feeding them and I haven't seen them poop! Could this food cause constipation?? Some poop I see on the ground looks hollow in places? There is one fish "going" now its not one of the floaties but it seems stuck. Anyone seeing this with feeding repashi..? Maybe I'm feeding too much..

I have noticed since feeding Super Green my oranda's butt floating has greatly decreased over when I was feeding soilent green. Its funny how food effects each one of them differently as she was the only one who had this symptom with SG. Mind you its only been just over a week but her swimming seems easier now that she's not fighting the buoyancy issue as much.

I think any food they are given too much of will cause constipation, not just the SG, at least in my experience thats true. And it doesn't seem to take much at that, I usually know a few hours I have over fed by how they are acting and I should know better not to feed more just because they are begging. They are like dogs in that way! :P

I'll have to order some and maybe feed the soilent green here and there. I've fed the peas with Epsom. Lucy is still floaty but Blimp is normal now after the fast and the others seem not so bloated. Lucy's also still really wide esp by her gills hopefully the Epsom and pea kick in soon. My dojo loach was not happy about the peas she kept trying to get it out of their mouths pretty aggressively. Thats the first time I've ever seen her really interact with the goldfish and ive had her 3 years. My bf had to come over and scold. Even my fish listen to him instead of me haha. She eats with them usually with the pleco on the same cube sharing nicely but thats about it. She must love the repashy more than they do. Even my pleco was looking for it in the usual corner I feed it by haha.

There have been some recent discussions about feeding another type of Repashy in addition (or even in place of Soilent Green in mature fish) called Super Green. This is a 100% plant based gel, much like Soilent Green but without the animal protein sources. I recently ordered some and will be feeding it along with Soilent Green, and will make sure to update everyone with how my fish like it along with any beneficial changes I observe. It's something to definitely keep in mind, especially if your fish is having possible sensitivities to the high protein in Soilent Green. :)

You will have to start a thread on this so we can compare :) I did super green this last week and now today I made a new small batch of 1/2 super green and 1/2 soilent green for comparison purposes. I wasn't thrilled with them just on super green alone either hmmmm. :hmm

You will have to start a thread on this so we can compare :) I did super green this last week and now today I made a new small batch of 1/2 super green and 1/2 soilent green for comparison purposes. I wasn't thrilled with them just on super green alone either hmmmm. :hmm

Did you mix them together? I can't decide if I want to make separate batches of each and feed separately, or do a mixture. If I do mix it, I think I will try 1 Teaspoon of Soilent Green, 2 Teaspoons Super Green, 3 Tablespoons water, and a cube of blood worms. I will definitely start a thread though, this seems to be a hot topic right now. :)

Did you mix them together? I can't decide if I want to make separate batches of each and feed separately, or do a mixture. If I do mix it, I think I will try 1 Teaspoon of Soilent Green, 2 Teaspoons Super Green, 3 Tablespoons water, and a cube of blood worms. I will definitely start a thread though, this seems to be a hot topic right now. :)

Yes, I did 1/2tbsp of super and 1/2tbsp of soilent and 3tbsp water. I forgot the bloodworms, oops. Well this batch won't last that long, a week probably. In a prior batch back I had separate of each but because they look identical I couldn't tell what I was feeding after I cut it up and I didn't want to have separate containers. I would try a mixture like you said.

In a prior batch back I had separate of each but because they look identical I couldn't tell what I was feeding after I cut it up and I didn't want to have separate containers.

That's exactly what I'm worried about! :P Was the consistency the same mixing them? I assume it would be?

In a prior batch back I had separate of each but because they look identical I couldn't tell what I was feeding after I cut it up and I didn't want to have separate containers.

That's exactly what I'm worried about! :P Was the consistency the same mixing them? I assume it would be?

Yes, it was the same, same directions on pkg etc.