Question about repashy

xjasminex

Everyone on here rants and raves about repashy, I already make my goldfish home made gel food. Is this something that I could mix in with the already mixed up gel good before I add the gelatin?

Thanks!

Jasmine

I think that you can add your own ingredients to the repashy. For the repashy gel, all you do is add water so i'm not entirely sure how it would do when you add the gelatin.

Yep you would use it in place of your current gel food, or in addition to it as a seperate feeding. I personally wouldn't add very much to Repashy since it has a really great consistency on it's own. :)

Thanks for the link, it would be easier to make considering the work I put into my own gel food but I don't really like the list of ingredients, I might just stick to my own home made food.

If any one has anything to say about it please do!

Thanks!

Jasmine

The whole reason why some of us abandoned our homemade recipes, which we spent years working on, is BECAUSE the list of ingredients is so amazing, and best approximates these fish's natural diets.

What is it that you don't like?

Now i dont know everything but if someone could gibe me aplausible reason why they use these if like to know.

I dont like that the proteins are derived from "meals", and im not sure why malic acid and taurine are in there. Why would there need to be additional sodium chloride if there are ingredients like sardines, squid and anchovy's. They all naturally have sodium chloride in them. Why is there yeast in it? Whys is there Brown Rice Protein Concentrate and Pea Protein Isolate when they have other sources of good protein?

Those are most of my questions....lol

Thanks!

Jasmine

Now i dont know everything but if someone could gibe me aplausible reason why they use these if like to know.

I dont like that the proteins are derived from "meals", and im not sure why malic acid and taurine are in there. Why would there need to be additional sodium chloride if there are ingredients like sardines, squid and anchovy's. They all naturally have sodium chloride in them. Why is there yeast in it? Whys is there Brown Rice Protein Concentrate and Pea Protein Isolate when they have other sources of good protein?

Those are most of my questions....lol

Thanks!

Jasmine

I'll try to answer them for you.

1. Fish meals. Why exactly are you against them? Every commercial food that you will get will be made from some sort of "meal." According to Wikipedia,

High-quality fishmeal normally contains between 60% and 72% crude protein by weight. Typical diets for fish may contain from 32% to 45% total protein by weight.[5] Another very important reason why fishmeal is sought after as an ingredient in aquaculture diets is because it contains certain compounds that make the feed more acceptable and agreeable to the taste (palatable). This property allows for the feed to be ingested rapidly, and will reduce nutrient leaching. It is thought the non-essential amino acid glutamic acid is one of the compounds that imparts to fishmeal its palatability.[6]

2. Malic acid & taurine. Both are good supplements and important physiologically.

3. Salt. I don't know why it's added, but with it being nearly 30th on the ingredients list, there isn't much of it in the recipe.

4. Brown rice and pea protein. Again, not sure why he's added them, but they aren't bad components.

I will actually copy and paste your question and write to Allen Repashy to ask him. I will tell you this before I get the answer though. Any and every commercially available food has its flaws, and this includes Repashy. However, as far as food goes, it is far better than most, and it's the only commercially available gel food I would consider feeding my fish. As you already know, of course it's best making your own gel food, because you can strictly control what goes in it, and you use only the best of the best ingredients. However, the major pitfalls ARE that you might be missing some crucial small ingredient and that it is quite consuming to make, not to mention costly. If you only have a few fish, that means that you either have to make limited amounts, or freeze to use over the long term. Freezing isn't a very good thing to do either, and I would throw things out after a month. So, it's just a very unsatisfactory process. :(

That would be great if you could reply back with the response from Allen Repashy, im not discrediting it, but i just would seem silly to buy it when im doing the same with the homemade stuff.

Im always looking for the best food for my fishies!

Thanks

Jasmine

That would be great if you could reply back with the response from Allen Repashy, im not discrediting it, but i just would seem silly to buy it when im doing the same with the homemade stuff.

I will definitely post when/if he replies.

However, with all due respect, I can already tell you that your homemade stuff is not the same. The major selling points of the soilent green for me are:

1. The huge amount of algae in the food. This is not something easily replicated in your homemade recipe. This is, in fact, the major selling point for me.

2. The gel binders are not gelatin based.

3. Easy to make. It takes all of 5 minutes to whip up a batch.

4. Does not require freezing. Because I can make a batch so quickly and easily, and I can make as small or as big a batch I want, I make enough to feed my fish for about 5 days. This means that I no longer have to freeze.

I am quite proud of the homemade gel food recipes that I had developed over the years, but I do not think that it is the same as the soilent green.

I'd love it if you'll share you recipe to your homemade food. It'll be fun to do some analysis of it. :)

I didn't create it myself, I got it from the GAB, and I haven't been able to find a copy of it since their servers took a dive. I'll see if I can a find it though.

I didn't mean to imply that the gel food was inferior simply because you created it, or anyone else for that matter. I would just like to have a look at it as well.

I have not heard back from Mr. Repashy, but I expect I will at some point :)

Oh, i didnt take it that way, But i did find the recipe in an old thread there, here it is minus the clay and plus lots more Kale and i also added garlic...

5 cups bottled drinking water

7 packets unflavored gelatine

1 adult multivitamin

1 500 mg vitamin C

2 500 mg calcium carbonate suppliment tabs

1 tab Acidophilus (optinal)

1 tsp paprika

6 tsp calcium bentonite clay

1 can pumpkin

1 cup kale

1 can mustard greens

1 can colliard greens

3/4 cup canned mackerel

Edited by xjasminex

I'm glad you didn't take it that way! :)

I have not heard yet from Mr. Repashy. I will let it go for a few more days. If I don't hear from them, I'll ask Ted Judy and/or our sponsor Tastyworms to ask, since they know him better. :)

A few comments about the gel food recipe that you are using, to highlight the drawbacks of EVERY recipe, even the best of them:

1. Not enough algae of any sort. In the wild, a goldfish diet consists of a whopping 80% algae of the green and brown kinds.

2. Too much fish. Same as 1.

3. Having that much kale, mustard, and collard greens in the food might impede calcium absorption because of oxalates.

4. Canned fish have a lot of sodium!

5. Paprika. Why is it in there? LOL, I know lots of people who add it, but never really understood why.

6. Gelatin. Not a good binder, at least in my experience. It alone can cause floatiness.

I believe paprika is often added to gel food recipes as a color enhancer

Why? Goldfish don't need to see beautifully colored foods :rofl

Anyway, I am not trying to put down any of these recipes. My own have the same sorts of inherent flaws, because let's face it, where the heck am I getting 80% algae for them? I have to make up for protein content with other sources. :)

See thats why i post here!

Fortunately my goldfish have never been floaty!

When i first started using this recipe my goldfish's colors became brighter and more colorful.

I also soaked my mackerel to help reduce sodium =]

I also agree about gelatinnot being a great binder, i usually had to use more to get it to a firmer firmness.

But i also have been looking up more info on the repashy and a few people at the gab have also given it great reveiws, i think i will try it!

Where the best place to buy it from?

Tastyworms definitely has it cheap, and because you are a Koko's member you do get a discount or perks on top of that I believe when you create an account there.

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

I made my own for awhile then I went to Mazuri which I felt was much better & easier...and alot less mess. THEN I discovered Rapashy! REALLY good stuff, super easy AND the fish LOVE IT!! Done Deal for me!!!

I never made my own. I would have felt guilty taking more time to cook for my fish than my family. :rofl

But I always was interested in gel food. I was looking into Mazuri when Alex started his reviews on Repashy. Ordered it, E-A-S-Y to make, fish love it, ordered more. :)