Spending a lot of time gulping at top

BriansMom

One of my orandas has been spending most of today gulping at the top of the tank. I just moved the tank and the 3 fish across state last friday. Another one has been gulping a little bit but one in particular has spent minutes and minutes just gulping at the top but not moving his body at the same time. I can tell he is just acting very different. No other signs at all.

I will fill this out the best. I didnt bring my test kit and its obviously too late to go get one. And to be honest, I cant afford to go and get another one. BUT. I did just fill their tank last Friday, so 5 days ago with all new, fresh water and brought their cycled media along so I would assume the water is ok.

This past hour or so he has really been up there most the time, just gasping but not moving much. Any ideas? Video shoes him more active than he is now. Right now, its to the point where I am concerned

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.4
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 AC 70's
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 72
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 30% biweekly

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 100% 5 days ago
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50g 3 years
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 medium orandas
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? pellets, every other day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? none
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) none with these ones
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? 1 scale has turned completely black which is weird but I cant think of that being an issue
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Gasping at the top
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Terrible quality, I know

th_VIDEO0074-0-0.jpg

Hi Thea, I'm seeing two gulping fish, but I am guessing it is the Blue oranda?

It would still be good to get your parameters tested by your lfs, since ammonia can form in 5 days and be causing some issues. It's not uncommon to have ammonia spikes when you have moved tanks around.

Hi Thea,

Is there any chance of getting those water tested somewhere? In cases like this, my first suspicion would be that there is ammonia/nitrite in the system. I know the media is cycled, but there is always a chance that something happened to it. :(